The new Drunken: A tweaked SpydieChef?

I'm quite certain all of Spyderco's offerings would sell well at a price point below their manufacturing cost. Face it, folks, prices of everything are going up. They have been for about eighty years, and it isn't likely to change any time soon. Yes, David, a lot of the new stuff is priced beyond my reach as well. Guess what? So was a lot of their older stuff.

Why bother bitching about pricing on the internet? The solution is obvious: start up your own production company and show Spyderco's how it should be done.

Because Spyderco listens to the ELU’s, and this is a discussion forum; price not excluded.

I love how many machining price experts there are on here. The shop rate in most shops is around $60/ hr where I’m at. Titanium is a pain to work with in general, so it takes a long time (and a lot of tooling) to mill. They also are milling both sides of both of the scales so there’s more setup time on that. The pattern they have appears to be done with a very small ball end mill as well; so the chip load is extremely small to keep the cutter from breaking.

On top of that, Spyderco doesn’t own the Taichung factory so they need to make profit on top of what the factory charges.

I’m not an expert either, and I think it’s too expensive, but machining time isn’t free and this would be a machine time hog.

That video shows just how beautiful a knife it is. A shame I'll have to pass on that price.

I wonder if the drunken milling affects the grip retention much. I could do without it, especially on the CF side which I can't even see the milling on, at least not in videos or pictures.

So close to the Chef love the look but the price not going to happen. 50-100 bucks more I can get a Koenig or Sebenza. Not liking the direction Spyderco's pricing is going.

So close to the Chef love the look but the price not going to happen. 50-100 bucks more I can get a Koenig or Sebenza. Not liking the direction Spyderco's pricing is going.
They've added a couple higher end models to the line-up. Big deal! Still plenty of very reasonably priced models to choose from.

You clearly never held a Koenig lol . Spyderco just doesn’t make a flipper that holds a candle yet
Clearly I haven't and honestly have no desire to "lol". If it's a Koenig you want then what's stopping you from buying one? I probably won't buy the Drunken either but I'm seriously considering the Paysan. The Drunken's not a flipper btw.

I've seen Sal state that Spyderco's margins are pretty much fixed through the entire product line. So if something is priced high it's because it costs them more to produce it. If you don't like the price of something in their line up, nobody's twisting your arm to buy it.

From the Spyderco Forums....

sal post_id=1256711 time=1534722946 user_id=21 said:
.....our margins are relatively fixed so when a model cost a bunch more, like the Ti variations, they cost more because they cost more to make.

sal

sal post_id=1089502 time=1465687150 user_id=21 said:
.....And we haven't changed. Pricing, Always a headache for sure and never the fun subject R&D is. Cost of mfr + margin = price. Our margins don't change very much. We try to price the product as low as we can and still run a business. Not too many greedy people at Spyderco.

sal

sal post_id=1053090 time=1447730516 user_id=21 said:
Pricing is always an interesting discussion. Our margins have not increased in decades, In fact some have been reduced to the point of question. When our costs go up, for whatever reason, our prices have to go up. We always do our best to try to keep them as fair as possible.

sal

I do own a Koenig. It’s a common discussion point to compare a higher end knife when doing a comparisons and discussing pricing. The discussion is supposed to be fun. I’m getting the feeling your butthurt. I’m the actual girl here lol can I keep that position lol

You can get the ZT version for half the price or the spydychef for half the price it’s same knife with new name twice the price. I just read through forum I’m not alone on this one. You yourself won’t buy it lol. Spyderco chef and Bowie and salt collection I like. The drunken looks amazing just the average knife girl or guy will not pay for the Hype. We see a carbon fiber chef lol.

How can you say you’d rather buy the drunken being it’s not out yet. Over a koenig which you’ve never even held.

Your argument lacks experience. At least I own a Koenig -my favorite knife of all time by the way

I will be grabbing one of these as soon as they are out.

I'm not looking for a replacement for any of my CRK's. The Drunken is just a damn cool looking knife with some great features, blade steel, and a look that speaks to me. While I'm also a Spydiechef fan, and have owned a few of them, I think the Drunken is different enough to warrant a purchase even if you have the Chef already.

The fact that it's a lightweight large-ish knife is a bonus as well. ;)

You clearly never held a Koenig lol . Spyderco just doesn’t make a flipper that holds a candle yet
Ive held a Konig. I don't like it. If rather have the spyderco. Your opinion is just that. An opinion.

The Konig is quality though. Can't say it's not. But ehh just not a knife I like. I thought it would be everything when I held it... But it fell flat. A knife I thought was a grail cause everyone and there mom's says its awesome. Lots of hype.

Last edited:
I’ve never handled a Koenig, I’ve seen pictures and watched some YouTube videos, looks like a cool knife, but for whatever reason the design doesn’t appeal to me.

You’ve never handled a Drunken, yet you can make claims about a Koenig is better...?

They are both production knives. The Drunken is cheaper than a base Arius. Drunken has carbon, cool milling, and S90v. I’m buying one.

I feel that this is a far better knife than the Konig yet it costs substantially less. How could that be? Get ya head out yo a$$. Not everything revolves around comparing prices.

Mantra- that was a stinker-gave away
Southard- another stinker- sold
Advocate - horrid _sold

On the flip side my ZT
465, 0095,
0452 my favorite Zt
The Koenig is my personel favorite
Close second F3R Shirogorov

One of most used knives is the BM Loco fun to finger flick.
With all things being fair where talking high end knives compared to much lower grade materials and steels so not completely fair. I’m just a princess when it comes to my knives heheheh

The only steel Spyderco impresses me with is the LC200n salt great steel.

Back