The other ZT no one is talking about! ZT0456

I'm scratching my head here because I'm not understanding all the "this knife is chunky" comments. I watched the full Nick Shabazz review and was hesitant to get this knife based on what he said at the end but...

Holy Hannah, this knife is awesome. It's the perfect length and width, fills out my (size large) hand perfectly without being too thick. The lockup is sweet, as is the flipping action, and it looks a real treat.

It also doesn't FEEL heavy. Next to the ZT0220, which is listed at the same weight, it FEELS lighter and more balanced. All that "chunkiness" people talk about isn't there on the 0456 because of how the handle tapers; the contouring is just perfection, it feels SO GOOD!!!

The only issue I can see with this would be the price, and yet it's the same as the ZT0562 which people constantly tout as their favorite work knife. This one is just - dare I say it - prettier than the 562 with the blue anodizing, and only half an ounce heavier.

Seriously folks, I don't understand how this knife gets so maligned. So many people in reviews reference Nick's (very good) review, but fail to remember that he has smaller hands, to which he freely admits. For the rest of us with larger mits, the knife just fits, you know?

It's flipping awesome!!!

I didn't see this thread the first time around, but will answer now. First of all, I tend not to buy knives with blades under 3 1/2 inches. If I did need a knife that small, I'd carry something like a SAK or Traditional. This super chunky small knife thing that ZT does just isn't for me. Also, if I'm being honest, I haven't bought a Zero Tolerance knife since my 0452. I've held plenty of the new models from last year (which is what this is) and have seen all the pictures for this model. ZTs just don't grab me anymore, they feel like they have no soul. I can't explain it concisely. I much prefer other knives these days. On the lower end, Emerson and Spyderco, and on the higher end CRK and Olamic. Your mileage may vary.

One person's chunky is another's just right. Glad you found a knife you love.
I'm scratching my head here because I'm not understanding all the "this knife is chunky" comments. I watched the full Nick Shabazz review and was hesitant to get this knife based on what he said at the end but...

Seriously folks, I don't understand how this knife gets so maligned. So many people in reviews reference Nick's (very good) review, but fail to remember that he has smaller hands, to which he freely admits. For the rest of us with larger mits, the knife just fits, you know?

It's flipping awesome!!!

Every time I see that pivot all I can hear is "Rollin on two fo"...

Haha, yeah the pivot design and the blue are what turns me off. Something a little more subtle and I'd be on board. I like hefty knives and the grind looks nice.

Still might check one out, maybe get some aftermarket work done on it.

ZTs just don't grab me anymore, they feel like they have no soul. I can't explain it concisely. I much prefer other knives these days. On the lower end, Emerson and Spyderco, and on the higher end CRK and Olamic. Your mileage may vary.

Going by this quote, it seems that you think that ZT had landed in a peculiar spot. One where the materials used are a mix of Spyderco, and CRK/Olamic, as is their pricing.

Though this is also their downfall. You can get comparable build quality with a wider array of blade materials via Spyderco, but at a reduced cost.
Or
The same materials but with higher F&F at a slightly higher cost.
-------
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I own two ZTs, a 770cfM4, and a 562 in 204p, and I have had led this knife a few times and I find it to be a bit chunky and heavy.

I see more Spyderco, CRK, and a few others in my future, but ZT seems like it keeps throwing balls when I am waiting for a pitch down the middle...

Mine is in the mail right now. Glad someone resurrected this thread! I'm really looking forward to it!

Going by this quote, it seems that you think that ZT had landed in a peculiar spot. One where the materials used are a mix of Spyderco, and CRK/Olamic, as is their pricing.

Though this is also their downfall. You can get comparable build quality with a wider array of blade materials via Spyderco, but at a reduced cost.
Or
The same materials but with higher F&F at a slightly higher cost.
-------
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I own two ZTs, a 770cfM4, and a 562 in 204p, and I have had led this knife a few times and I find it to be a bit chunky and heavy.

I see more Spyderco, CRK, and a few others in my future, but ZT seems like it keeps throwing balls when I am waiting for a pitch down the middle...

This is actually a tremendous comment, and more or less shapes my overall view of ZT these days. Like you, I also have a 0562 (mine was a first run M390 model), and that and my 0452cf are both amazing knives. My 0770cf is also decent. That said, I haven't bought anything from them since. I feel like THAT'S what I miss about Zero Tolerance, utilitarian shapes with a minor attempt at dress-up (the carbon fiber scale), but otherwise all stone-wash and business. I can't even 100% put my finger on a quantitative reason why I don't like anything ZT has made since 2015. I just don't like 'em. And their prices? Ha, no. I'm not paying what vendors are asking for Zero Tolerance anymore. I just prefer other things these days. If ZT ever gets back to their roots though, count me in.

Anyone pick one of these up in 20cv yet? I was a little disappointed in the action.

Im loving my ZTs, but not seeing anything new coming out I have any interest in. Only thing I feel like I'm missing is a 0392. 0560BW in pocket today.

Anyone pick one of these up in 20cv yet? I was a little disappointed in the action.

Im loving my ZTs, but not seeing anything new coming out I have any interest in. Only thing I feel like I'm missing is a 0392. 0560BW in pocket today.

I haven't seen any of the 20CV versions hit the dealers yet. Alas. I kinda wanted to try it in 20CV, thought I know that the 204P will be just as good.

It was between the 0450cf or this blade for me. I just could not deal with the weight of the 0456 for a 3.25" blade. I know this is what to be expected from tough as nails reputation of ZT. This is why I wouldn't be a ZT guy because they are to bulky for me. Then they came out with the 0450 design and the opportunity to get what I like from ZT. I like a light edc with a slim blade and quick smooth action and ZT nailed it with the 0450.

O450cf is the only knife in the ZT line I like. And I teally really like it. The look the weight and action are just pleasing.

I've been tempted to buy one but a few factors dissuaded me. I have a CKF Peace Duke which has a similar short and stubby profile. I prefer liner locks or sub-frame locks to frame locks but given the current market, 4 of my 5 (I sold several knives over the last few months) modern folders are frame locks. And my only titanium slab knife with no inlays, no G10 scale on the presentation side is not pleasant to grip in the cold.

My 456 is CPM20V and a serial number close to 5000 so maybe it's just in later models? As for the action, what disappointed you? Mine is super smooth with no real hangups with the detent. Along with the 456 I also ordered a 220 to compare them, and that one was an immediate disappointment because I could barely flip it, the detent was so tight.

My 456 is CPM20V and a serial number close to 5000 so maybe it's just in later models? As for the action, what disappointed you? Mine is super smooth with no real hangups with the detent. Along with the 456 I also ordered a 220 to compare them, and that one was an immediate disappointment because I could barely flip it, the detent was so tight.

Does anyone know what RC hardness ZT runs their 20CV? I can't find the info on their site.

I got a 0456 last week and love it. I didn't buy it to carry but I would. My hands are medium and it fits in them very well.

40B1F0F7-39CE-44E3-AED8-C4F11DCCC130_zpsxyvj7gpn.jpg

I think its a great looking knife. But i would like to hold it in hand before getting one. Its a little put of my budget too sadly...

I think it is a great looking knife, similar to the ckf peace Duke sans the terrible combo grind. Which is a huge plus.
It is just that I would like to handle one before buying which is sadly almost impossible.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Back