The Survive! Never Say Die! Chat Thread

I'm so out of the loop on the storm. I've been away from service for days, and we don't get tv at home. That said, I hate those dang storms and hope everyone's loved ones are safe.
I've just been seeing terrible flooding in highways, nursing homes, neighborhoods. Similar scenes from hurricane Katrina.

You can wind up some funny places if you follow where your Alerts lead.
One of my Survive posts was just quoted in the Whine and Cheese. :)

My old CFV 4.7 I really really miss this thing and would buy it back from whoever I sold it to! lol

CwjWmhF.jpg

v1oLqYg.jpg

There is just something about those Cruforge V models. I really hope that steel finds a home in some more blades down the road.

Well, I live in north-central Florida, and if my extended family and I survive this darned storm...which is twice as wide as Florida where I'm at..
and presently at 175 mph...then, I'll be in the market to find a 2.7 in any condition...
My house is well-built and should withstand the hurricane. I'm blessed to have this rather than something lesser.
The news says that cruise ships just docked early and told the passengers to get off, and now they're at Orlando Int'l airport, trying to find a flight to go somewhere out of the danger zone. And most of the flights are cancelled or not available. Just heard that somebody just paid 10,000 bucks for 3 plane tix to N.Y. Lots of price-gouging going one, which we always see in these situations.

Well, I live in north-central Florida, and if my extended family and I survive this darned storm...which is twice as wide as Florida where I'm at..
and presently at 175 mph...then, I'll be in the market to find a 2.7 in any condition...
My house is well-built and should withstand the hurricane. I'm blessed to have this rather than something lesser.
The news says that cruise ships just docked early and told the passengers to get off, and now they're at Orlando Int'l airport, trying to find a flight to go somewhere out of the danger zone. And most of the flights are cancelled or not available. Just heard that somebody just paid 10,000 bucks for 3 plane tix to N.Y. Lots of price-gouging going one, which we always see in these situations.

Hunker down and stay safe sonny!

thanks for your nice thoughts. I'm north-central so should be okay. It's funny, with the evacuations, that car traffic on I-75 North is bumper to bumper all the way to Atlanta. Since many of these folks are from Miami or south, that's 660-some miles of nasty, slow traffic. Glad I am not part of it...

I boarded up our house today...plywood on all windows. Looks like we'll be having a few neighbors for company over the wkend. I live in a retirement subdivision, so many of the folks here are ....." older." :)
The models now seem to show the eye coming right over the top of our house, so it will be interesting on Sunday...
cheers, don

thanx to all of you. The storm eye is well passed. The eye went thru our location, but was a good thing, as MUCH of the damage showed up on radar as the leading edge being on the right side of the storm...in 2 o'clock position. That is considered normal.
We are in the lee of the storm now; little rain outside by many branches and trees down. I have one in back yard about 30 feet from my house that is 15 inches in diameter. Water oaks...these trees are not sturdy in high winds.
The back end of the storm bands will be here soon, but looks fairly mild on radar. Our winds were likely about 85 mph, as forecast, but no news yet.
We made it just fine; very happy here with toast and coffee; gave Molly (avatar) some cold turkey. She's just barely two yrs old and had a worrisome night. Much happier now, since we had a nice productive walk two hrs ago. Everyone else (wife and relatives here for the storm) still sleeping; best way to get past bad weather.
All is fine; thanx again. God bless.
don

That is such a prettier bird than the starlings that get in our stovepipe! How the heck did you get it caught?

That is such a prettier bird than the starlings that get in our stovepipe! How the heck did you get it caught?

I was already at work when she sent me those pics. She said she used the broom to corner it and she just grabbed it. Evidently, it was really tired, so she didn't have to do a lot of chasing! Starlings...ha! I remember shooting my 12 gauge into the sky at some Starlings one year, and 15 of them fell out of the sky! lol

We love those little guys. We have a feeder out back for them. Here's a little tip for anybody that does, when you make their food like we do, of a 4 to 1 mixture (1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water) add a teaspoon of cheap grape jelly when the water is boiling. They LOVE it!

Back