The tale of three Bowies! Poppa Bowie, Momma Bowie and Bawanna Bowie.

Well its of course gehazi's call but I think the plan is to keep them a matched set or as close as we can anyhow.
I think especially on poppa skip line was the way to go. Solid checkering might have been a little blah I think.

The micro is gonna be like a postage stamp compared to poppa.

I could never kill ya ndog, I'm a lover not a fighter although I do tend to do whatever needs to be done.

I graduated from the school of walk softly and carry a large stick...................

Yeah I am really taken with the skip line and central diamond, and I think they will look better as a set :D, can't thank you enough bawanna or compliment you enough for the masterful checkering, it looks like a machine did it, your skill is phenomenal. definitely tempted to throw money and checkering jobs at you like everyone else, I dont have any more high quality antiques to trade !

Well all the little dwarfs came home hi on ho's and I didn't have any fishing lures to work on so spent the evening on momma bear.

Got one side with a couple passes.

Here's a look at the tools. There's about that many more off to the left, fine, course push, pull, doubles on and on and I use them all.

Close up of a double cutter, this one is 20 lines per inch. One side rides in a groove and the other cuts a new groove. Groovy huh?

This might be easier to see. It's the skip line head so it's actually 10 lines per inch. Has a smooth side to ride in the groove and cutters on the other to cut the next groove. The other cutters have that option too, one smooth side, one cutter. Have right to left and left to right depending on the angle and which way you need to go.

Some days I'm better right to left and other days left to right, I sometimes don't think I'm completely normal.

And here's a shot of the ransom with it's new place on the wall. Just under the Longleaf (thanks ndog) and just above my Amtrak WWII thanks to the fella that hooked me on these things, he knows who he is. Used to be a member here, kind of drifted.
Edit to add. I should acknowledge Gehazi again for the little "Bura" Dhankuta, the two toned handle sweetheart just below the mentioned ones. I don't recall now what I did to deserve that one other than he had some Bura's and I didn't. But now I do. Thank you for that again.
I think in hindsight it was to ease my pain when I missed the Bura Foxy Folly. A somber day that one.

That's all I got for this evening. It's off to get flat, sore backside today for some reason and dream of Snow White and the Tinman or maybe Toto.

Last edited:
sweet, i like the pen knifes diamond job:), ( thinking of sending you my siru with horn handle). i see in you latest photo a bare 1911 grip:)

the man has talent ! -- that wall looks great bawanna , guns and blades my favorite things.

Great tale and pix, thank you for sharing

And then to take those and check a flat surface is tough enough. But imagine using those tools on a round hilt like that pen. Boggles the mind the talent involved.

Mostly practice and patience an doing it for awhile but thanks for the kind words.

Round is tough, I'll give you that but it can be done. Ulua if your willing to chance it I'd give it my best shot.

The traditional design of a Khuk handle lends itself to being smooth so the knife can move in your hand. The smaller knives like the Pen knife (except for Philllls of course) you don't really swing that much so not as important.
I haven't checkered a traditional handle on a larger user so I don't know if the texture would be a good thing or a bad thing. On gun handles I sometimes don't bring the points up completely sharp so there's texture but not a cheese grater feel.

One can also just take fine sandpaper and knock the points off a bit too.

Very handsome collection! I have just one little question. BAWANNA BOWIE?!

That is a little question but I don't get it? Some folks refer to the smallest bowie officially I think the Micro Bowie as the bawanna bowie on account of I asked Auntie to make some little ones. Some refer to it as IBBB Itty Bitty bawanna bowie.
Is that the question or am I missing it?

I think some refer to it as the bowie that dumbhead thunk up too but I'm ok with that too. I love it.

Actually, the Bawanna Bowie aka IBBB, is the Micro Mini Bowie, according to auntie.

Personally, I like IBBB...:)

Auntie used that name "Micro Mini AK Bowie" for the IBBB with me, too. So I guess from that we can infer that the 10" size is the "Mini AK Bowie", which I guess leaves us with the 12" as the "Standard" AK Bowie size, with the 15" and 18" being large and extra large models? I have an IBBB, a 12", and a 15" (+/-), so I'd like to add one of the 10" "Mini AK Bowie"s to fill in the family. But if I decided to get one of the 18" models, it would just be to have the complete collection, because I know that it would probably be too heavy for my old arm. Of the khukuris I've gotten so far, I'm finding that the ones in the 20 - 30 ounce range are probably the best for me, and the ones much over 30 ounces are just too heavy. YMMV

really want a munk chunk one day, but for now I am gonna have to be satisfied with my current order ! but im adding it to the list all the time sadly !

This is the way I understand it:
Micros-(IBBB, Micro Mini, Bawanna Bowie)
First run Micro AKB or micro mini AKB were at 7 3/4"
Next run "Trident" Kami
Later by request from others with longer handle at 8 3/4"
Mini AKB-
10" AKB
Full size AKB-two sizes
12" AKB
15" AKB
18 1/2" is custom size and not a regular model and is mine:D

I guess the 12" AKB could be a Macro mini AKB. but ive seen it advertised as an AKB

I drool for a Munk Chunk too Gehazi!

Last edited:
lol pugs, my father told me a looong time ago : never sell a gun, you will always regret it.

I apply that to blades as well, if I dont have 2 or 3 , I should not sell!

Back