The tale of three Bowies! Poppa Bowie, Momma Bowie and Bawanna Bowie.

Yep its true, I got a job, that retirement or retardment is not me just yet, but I only work part time and im off today so I am lurking here a bit. Heck come on down I could use a sidekick, heck if we were closer to one another we could be working together.

I thought that's what sidekicks did. Worked together, you cover the left, I cover the right if the left one don't get cha then the right one will kiss kaboom, kiss kaboom.

I gotta try that part time thing and have today off, but too late to start now, maybe I'll be part time on Monday.

Yep its true, I got a job, that retirement or retardment is not me just yet, but I only work part time and im off today so I am lurking here a bit. Heck come on down I could use a sidekick, heck if we were closer to one another we could be working together.

hey Pugs, aint you a Marine? isnt that a full time job?:p pretty soon uncle sam will be volun-telling people to come back in. lol

hey Pugs, aint you a Marine? isnt that a full time job?:p pretty soon uncle sam will be volun-telling people to come back in. lol

I am a former Marine as we never quite leave, but was Police Officer for 25 years and retired last year and was bored to death, so im working part time now. I was lucky to be able to go at an early age, but am to young not to do something.

I am a former Marine as we never quite leave, but was Police Officer for 25 years and retired last year and was bored to death, so im working part time now. I was lucky to be able to go at an early age, but am to young not to do something.

HRCC? (high risk civilian contractor) could put your kuks to work:p. My friend just got out of the army as an 11B, what ever that is, went to go be a contractor, all they wanted was a 3 yr commitment and they would pay him 145k/year, and if he re signs , it goes to 190k.

HRCC? (high risk civilian contractor) could put your kuks to work:p. My friend just got out of the army as an 11B, what ever that is, went to go be a contractor, all they wanted was a 3 yr commitment and they would pay him 145k/year, and if he re signs , it goes to 190k.

That is true, I looked in to some contract work and your right the pay is incredible, but alas the misses was having none of it!! In my career I was part of our SRT Team for 20 years and that took a tool on the family. My PD was somewhat of a urban metro place with just about every gang known, in my team time I have over 1000 entries and was never injured too bad. So now im just enjoying the family, working part time and bending some leather to stay busy.

That is true, I looked in to some contract work and your right the pay is incredible, but alas the misses was having none of it!! In my career I was part of our SRT Team for 20 years and that took a tool on the family. My PD was somewhat of a urban metro place with just about every gang known, in my team time I have over 1000 entries and was never injured too bad. So now im just enjoying the family, working part time and bending some leather to stay busy.

so as a SRT you were issued the .45 colt not the beretta 9mm right?

I think that's an LAPD thing although most agencies try to mimic them not all do. A couple of our guys did the contract work thing for a year. Big bucks, not at all what it's advertised to be but big bucks. Part of the time they were working right along with our regular ground troops. Didn't seem fair to me. One guy getting 150,000 a year or more and the other getting 30,000 or probably less, with less gear and training. OH well, they wouldn't take me anyhow, I tried.
Figured I could run one of the 50's in the turrent of a humvee.

In my next life I plan to be a door gunner for Bookie. We'll have us a time we will.

I actually carried a Glock 21 45 cal as my secondary weapon, my primary was either an HK MP5 or my Colt Commando, my last five years I actually got to carry a Glock 18 as well, very cool pistol by the way.

I'd forgotten about the 18. You even posted a live action video shooting it. Very cool indeed. An you looked so smokin hot shooting it too.

Not in any mano mano hot way ya know kinda sorta.

full auto does that to some people ,bawanna, you were born that way. I think there is a little of that in all of us.

So do you think theres a chance I might be close to normble then?

Norm-bull heck yeah! Normal Not so much. But then normal really is pretty boring. You are much better than normal.

Personally, I wasn't so lucky as to get folks like the ones we have here, the type that you actually could feel would have your back. The contracters I dealt with were mostly schmucks, I understand there are a lot of variables and there are many many different groups we are talking about, but invariably I got stuck with some serious losers. This was quite a few years ago, it is probably much different now, back there there weren't a lot of civilians with guns in combat zones, mostly CIA. But the other ones we did have back then were pretty sad. I wouldn't have trusted most of them with anything more advanced than cleaning the latrines. On the other hand most of the soldiers I dealt with were almost as diverse in their capabilities to walk and not fall over too. The only thing that used to really irritate me about the civie contractors was their attitude, they never wanted to do the basic stuff that is a requirement for a successful mission they all seemed to be too "important" for that. Plus I agree with Bawanna, Seems a bit unfair that one makes 5-10 times the amount a service member makes. Not sure when or why it became so prevelant. Like I said used to be very VERY few and the ones that were usually were actually CIA not real civies. Now it seems like they are everywhere.

Shavru, you hit it right on the head, some of the contractor types have a better than though attitude, and feel they are better than anyone on the ground, I always try to take the humble road, I dont need to boast, brag or belittle anyone, if you ask I will tell, but never look down on anyone. As for my skill sets, they come from alot of hard work and sweat, but any soldier on the ground probably worked just as hard for there skills as well. My oldest boy is currently serving in the Army (HOOAH) and he gets pissed when someone makes fun of the Army from another branch, I simply tell him it's a pride thing between the services and he and I go back and forth between the Marines and the Army, but when it comes down to it, no matter what the branch, the uniforms stain the same, if ya know what I mean. Plus from what I have seem most people are full of S_ _ _ and never even served, just talk the talk.

LoL, if the Marines, Army, Navy and Air Force didn't razz each other it would seem wrong, I would include the Coast Guard but EVERYONE razzes them. While I have a few jarheads flyboys and even a squid or 2 as friends I would never ADMIT that I could feel comfortable with them at my back, but of course I would they earned their hashmarks in the same places I did. The problem I had with the contractors back then is they were true Mercs. We rarely trusted them as most of them would have fought on whichever side was paying the most and I felt would have switched sides easily if they felt it was all going pear shaped. Like I said, different times and different folks with different reasons for being there than now. As to the talkytalks, they haven't changed a bit in all the years I bet. The louder they are, the less reason they have for opening their mouths. The quiet ones that keep their eyes and ears open instead of their mouths are the ones I have a tendancy to want with me.

Congrats and condolences on your oldest. I am sure you would have preferred Marines, but I am equally sure you are a proud dad of a US Army Soldier. Look at it this way, every parent wants their children to do better than they did. At least you have one that did :D And yep, I know exactly what that stain smells like.

My son is going in for physical and testing for the Marines next week. We'll see how that goes.

wow bawanna, congrats man, and try not to worry too much ; very cool. and congrats to you pugs on your army lad-- always nice to see traditions carried on within a family.

Say it isn't so Bawanna. Please help the poor kid out, tell him he can step up to the Army with just some extra effort put into studying for the test. :D I mean if you see someone making the mistake of their life you just have to speak up. Being a Marine can ruin his future. He will forever be looked down upon and will not be able to get a good job. Please do your best to convince him to forget about the Marines and go where he can make his future a prosperous one. I mean everyone know Marines are just shaved gorillas that have been lobotomized so that they aren't smart enough to figure out that they should have joined the Army :D
Lol, Just kidding, seriously, With things being what they are in this day and age it is a big step and I am sure he has thought it through very well before he decided this is what he wanted to do. Hope he does well in the testing and can choose a skill training that he really wants. Not having kids I don't know from personal experience but I imagine it is a scary AND proud thing to send a child off to join the military in any branch. The best advice I can give anyone going into basic training is: The Drill Instructor doesn't want to know there is a better way to do something. Don't think, don't try to reason, just do what they l tells you, how they tell you. Then when you get to your unit keep your eyes and ears open and watch and stick near a Sergeant, they are the ones that know what is going on.

I had a great time when I was in, ya just got to talk slow to us and we understand. I actually talked him into the Navy as the corps is a bit different today, he was all set to go and the Navy started to delay him time and time again, they were only taking lesser jobs, meaning his job was higher up on the list and he had to wait, so he got very discouraged with them and made the decision to go Army. He loves it and is very happy with his choice, he was heading to Korea but was changed at the last minute, and alas he had to go to Hawaii for 3 years, it just breaks my heart he had to go there :D. It's alot easier to visit there then Korea.

My only regret with him going into any service is I can't go with him. Be nice to have a real commander in chief but that's a whole nuther story.

I don't know if it's true or not but he was told in the new modern PC Army the give each recruit a little card and if the DI gets too hard on them or scares them etc, all they have to do is whip that card out and the DI has to back off!! Say it ain't so..............

I don't know if this goes over into other branches as well or not. Guess it shouldn't surprise me. No morals or ethics anymore. Dope is legal, man can marry a man, woman can marry a woman. We did the food for one of those yesterday but wife didn't make me go, worked all day getting food made but I didn't have to watch that.

Even my son working for the railroad now was given a little card. If another employee invades his personal space or disrespects him he whips out the little card and it's kumbiya time I guess.

Back