The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s been a lot of talk of stamping the bolster. I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but with the fluting and lines, I’m not sure it needs it. I’m wondering if GEC even stamps bolsters. I was under the impression that the markings on the barlow bolster were part of the cast. I would assume making a specific cast for one-time use on the BF knife might be cost prohibitive. Then again, I also don’t know anything about manufacturing.

Has GEC done an orange sawcut? I can’t recall it. We have definitely seen red and brown.

Frankly I prefer it didn't have sawcut bone. I find those uncomfortable to carry. Bareheads need something smooth and rounded. And please, leave the bolsters with just the fluting. If you really want something there hire an engraver and put your own initials there.

I'll cast my vote for denim micarta.I think that would look good on that knife.

This is true. While nice looking and unique, there were some that had more pleasing examples than others.

I also found out that Rams horn scales don’t appreciate going through the hot washing machine. Mine warped significantly.

They came out clean though. :D
OK for starters both Ice-T and Stone Cold Steve Austin say wash in cold.

Bunny bone covers....

really hope bill gives us 3 or 4 options we can do a poll from. At least them, we played a part in it.

uqMZXEf.jpg

I'll like it no matter the color as long as its not neon lol. But a nice rich vintage looking brown like on this HSB would be really sweet imho.

Has GEC done an orange sawcut? I can’t recall it. We have definitely seen red and brown.

I don't THINK they have officially, but I know a lot of the sawcut ones turnout a little orange. like the goldenrod sawcut bone and amber sawcut bone.

Some of you guys who are trying to inflate your post counts really aren't going about it the right way. The last few days has seen so many ancient threads resurrected with inconsequential posts. You're just making a mess of our sub-forum, please read the rules, and be more respectful :thumbsup:

As someone who’s done the forum knife before, I know we usually end up with a few no shows or extra on hand. But I feel like this should be a limit of one knife per user.
Either way, very excited to see how this all plays out.

If it's one per person, would we have enough to fill a minimum order with GEC? And I would think if there were any no shows and a few extra, people would be all over them with the GEC craze going on.

Seeing a few posts of concerns about folks jumping over from the FB groups just for the hopes of grabbing a forums knife. I can totally understand the concern, but if you look back just two years ago, we had more people commit to buying than actually did and members were happy to take in the “extras,” so I don’t think having enough to go around will be an issue. I’ve been a member here since 2013 and I don’t think I met the criteria in 2019. I messaged a mod and explained that I typically don’t post questions here that have already been answered dozens of time and choose to use the search option instead. I chime in when I feel like it and mostly just loom in the background taking it all in. I don’t think members like myself should be penalized for not being as outspoken as some others. I was allowed to get 2 knives that year. One went to a member just like myself and I’m happy to say that he still cherishes that knife still. Now the the ones that heard about the forum knife yesterday, joined immediately and have posted like a madman in the last 24 hours, that’s a different story.

Did they make an exception for you in 2019?

in the end, it usually ends up being a knife I just don't want to buy, or the process is so off-putting that I bow out.
I'm right there with you.
Depending on the details, I could be interested in an 86...but I doubt I'll be able to keep up with the threads this year; so I may be forced out of the running anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back