The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, I'm not saying it's wrong, just funning with you guys. :D
But for me, I was shown how to open a slip-joint knife "properly" by my Scout Leader.
Use the dominant hand on the blade for the most control and swing the blade away from all fleshy parts (blood zone).
And although I was funning with you guys about using your left thumb (which is fine), I do find it funny that people would worry about the extra step of switching hands when we are talking about a slip-joint, which is far from speed/tactical material. :D

I should have added some emojis, I was serious but not like it's a rule. I find it interesting to see how others do things and not like any ones way is better. I bite my nails but my left thumb I dont and use clippers and a file so it doesnt tear when using on knives.

I open slipjoint knives one of three ways, depending on circumstances:
  • One-handed, in dominant hand, pinched between thumb and middle finger to halfstop, then pinched between thumb and first finger to fully open. (This only works on some knives, but it sure is handy when it works.)
  • Two-handed, handle in dominant hand, off-hand grasps blade and rotates it open and away from body. (Probably my most common way of opening a knife.)
  • Two-handed, handle in dominant hand, off-hand grasps blade and stays stationary, dominant hand rotates away from body to open. (This is useful on nailbreaker pulls. I was taught this when I was young, and told it was the 'old-man method'. It's the only way my wife can get some heavier pull knives open.)
For the second two, 'grasps' can be pinched, or nail nick or long pull or whatever.

-Tyson

You all are doing it wrong - just saying...

jidj9qF.gif

jidj9qF.gif

Powerful!

I mentioned the mockup to the leadership of Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association, and suggested looking into it as a possible club knife this year if it could be tacked onto the run. Wes (from the club) got back to me and said that Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife... so not sure what to make of that.

I emailed Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.

At the risk of posting something on topic, I really like the nail nick as executed on the last run of 86s.
J4L2PgX.jpg

The location seems a little unconventional, I’m sure others would know better than I of historical examples of the nick placed right under the tallest part of the blade, but I really like it in use. Readily accessible and easy to located without looking.

If we do go with a long pull, I would like very much if it was a match striker.
B7qwz2Q.jpg

Powerful!

I mentioned the mockup to the leadership of Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association, and suggested looking into it as a possible club knife this year if it could be tacked onto the run. Wes (from the club) got back to me and said that Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife... so not sure what to make of that.

I emailed Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.

:confused:

Never seen a left hand pull before, I assume theyre pretty rare?

I honestly don’t know how many they made or the story behind them, but I don’t think there are too many. I bought mine on the exchange, and got it just because I thought it was interesting. :thumbsup:

From what I've read, a lot of you guys use your left thumb nail to open your knives anyways.

Yep, I’m a left-thumb-opener. I don’t find the left handed #73 awkward to use; I open it the same way I do any other knife, but the blade goes the opposite way. Now the left-handed liner lock did take some getting used to.

You mean "BOW - DOCK" ain't the way the French pronounce it? o_O

Wait until the Spanish find out how we pronounce El Dorado. :eek: :D

jidj9qF.gif

Now do a #23. ;) :D

Tactical!

I sure hope we get stiffer back springs than that.

Well... Truth be told, I can do this to a number of knives. If the blade is pinchable, in a single blade configuration, and not micro sized, I can pull this method off. A notable knife from a recent run that I can do this with is the #47 Viper and those have some stouter springs.

Now do a #23. ;) :D

Believe me, I've tried... :D. I bet I could pull it off if the blade was reasonably pinchable. I can't do it with the Mustang but can do it with the Stallion - where the 74s are concerned. I fidget a lot with my knives while I am working or walking about the homestead - I've developed a bit of a habit of doing the whole one-handed opening thing.

So close, but that last step should be pinching it open with first finger and thumb, not pushing on the sharp edge

I'm afraid I have Mike to blame for that one - ever since I spied his method of opening knives and his explanation behind it, I haven't opened them any other way since. It's become rather natural.

I do like your variation of the technique though and would be the one I'd recommend, simply for safety purposes.

Powerful!

Please forgive me, but I don't understand what any of this means?

Mock-up?!? There's a mock-up? Can somebody point me to it? Being out of town last week, I missed it.
I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back