The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B B.F.U writes at post #1385.

“...Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife...so not sure what to make of that.”

Well, it might mean that Bill Howard could be having regrets about making our knife. This kind of annoyance is probably one of the main reasons he wants to end SFO’s.

I hope you consulted Charlie before you encouraged another group to tack onto our run as you phrased it. It would be the courteous thing to do. Charlie has graciously taken on the mantle for us and has gotten off to a promising start. He is the only reason we have a chance, and I do not believe anyone else has the stature to pull it off. In asking Bill Howard to make the forum knife he is using his personal influence for our benefit. We should not interfere and make his job more difficult.

Post #1385 went on to relay that L.H.S. emailed...“Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.”

What?! That is about as clear as mud and probably did not make things better.

If there is any positive angle here it is that Bill Howard does not seem like the kind of person who would renege on a commitment, so I believe we will survive this for 2021. I also have confidence in Charlie’s ability to handle the situation.

meako meako , there be rocks ahead.

Last edited:
QUOTE - Pàdruig - "You all are doing it wrong - just saying..."

jidj9qF.gif

Lookit those hands and fingers!!:eek::eek::D
If I needed my knife opened, I'd just call Dylan, and he'd open mine from home!!!:eek::eek::eek::D

Ruh roh...

I can’t make complete sense of what Greg is saying, because I don’t know what he knows, but it sounds like someone is sending emails to Bill asking around about something that’s being taken care of?

Edit: a fresh read made this crystal clear. It’s like getting invited to a wonderful party, and then inviting your other friends to come along.

Last edited:

“...Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife...so not sure what to make of that.”

Let me explain it to you. Bill Howard could be having second thoughts about making our knife. This kind of annoyance is probably one of the main reasons he wants to end SFO’s.

I hope you consulted Charlie before you encouraged another group to tack onto our run as you phrased it. It would be the courteous thing to do. Charlie has graciously taken on the mantle for us and has gotten off to a promising start. He is the only reason we have a chance, and I do not believe anyone else has the stature to pull it off. In asking Bill Howard to make the forum knife he is using his personal influence for our benefit. We should not interfere and make his job more difficult.

You waded in further and emailed...“Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.”

What? That is as clear as mud and probably made him feel even less inclined to make our knife.

If there is any positive angle here it is that Bill Howard does not seem like the kind of person who would renege on a commitment, so I believe we will survive this for 2021. I am also confident that Charlie will use his Sicilian charm and adroitly maneuver his way through. It might not bode well for future efforts with GEC however and probably will make them less likely to take on club knives.

A lot of potential harm in short order. Please cease and desist.

well said, my friend.

This has made me realise what it must be like to be Bill Howard, with a thousand people clamouring for attention and sending demands. I mean, I was aware of it but this has brought it home to me how demanding it must be for him.

Having said that, I think it would be helpful if we had better communication about what GEC can and can’t do. If they came out and said - we can only squeeze in 1000 club knives this year for all comers, and we can only manage them on at most two patterns - I am sure that would be accepted and understood by everyone, and there would be less conjecture and frustration. Mike was pretty good at that type of communication last year and it helped.

Here’s hoping we get some more traditional manufacturers online in the near future to ease the burden.

Holy smokes...just caught up on this thread...took me a while. Lol. I see there were a few loose boards on the Porch late last week.

While this thread is hot, I want to say that I miss Ron @Half/Stop , he was extremely nice to me when I first came to the Porch, and I do miss our chats a bunch. I’m also going to take the opportunity to thank some other Dwellers who have welcomed me, @Misplaced Hillbilly @JohnDF @Prester John @Pàdruig @JTB_5 and @Spaten for his information on some older traditionals and @Jack Black for all his information on questions I had about the Lambsfoot a while back. I apologize if I missed anyone. :(

I do see my self as an irregular regular on the Porch, but don’t post too much as you all know so so much more than I. My GEC collection is quite small, and I like it that way. I search out GEC’s that appeal to me, and most of mine are users. :) So much enjoyment from using them.

Back on topic...I want a BF knife so badly. However, I have yet to see a style that “rocks my chair” so to speak. It is correct that this new BF knife would be great fodder for acquiring a GEC I actually want, but that is not the spirit of the Porch.

This new BF knife is stunning and I can appreciate the hard work that has gone into it and the appeal. It is amazing and I hope all the regulars can add one to their collection. However, I will bow out, as it does not appeal to me, and hope that someone else will be able to benefit from another available one.

Don’t forget that the Porch was built on generosity, great relationships and happiness. It’s easy to become bitter, and angry. Karma is a bugger, and the bad ones will weed themselves out.

Thank you for letting me post here, and thank you to all the folks that make the BF knife possible every year. You folks are doing one hang of a job.

Edit to add: awe shucks... @sbh06 how could I forget about you. :( Thanks for chatting randomly with me as well.

Last edited:

Let me explain it to you. Bill Howard could be having second thoughts about making our knife. This kind of annoyance is probably one of the main reasons he wants to end SFO’s.

You waded in further and emailed...“Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.”

What? That is as clear as mud and probably made him feel even less inclined to make our knife.

If there is any positive angle here it is that Bill Howard does not seem like the kind of person who would renege on a commitment, so I believe we will survive this for 2021. I also have confidence in Charlie’s ability to handle the situation. However, this might not bode well for future efforts with GEC and probably will make them less likely to take on club knives.

Exactly...
55gl2k.jpg

Powerful!

I mentioned the mockup to the leadership of Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association, and suggested looking into it as a possible club knife this year if it could be tacked onto the run. Wes (from the club) got back to me and said that Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife... so not sure what to make of that.

I emailed Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.

Multiple missteps here, and if this sinks the GEC 2021 knife, well, I wouldn't want to be you. Why would you think it was acceptable to try to get another group's knife added to what is almost certainly a favor run for Charlie and BF? That was irresponsible in the extreme.

Powerful!

I mentioned the mockup to the leadership of Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association, and suggested looking into it as a possible club knife this year if it could be tacked onto the run. Wes (from the club) got back to me and said that Bill seemed surprised to hear I knew about the mockup and up in the air about the knife... so not sure what to make of that.

I emailed Bill with an unrelated question I had and mentioned I saw it on the GECC facebook group via here.

B B.F.U - Your actions and the actions of Wes from AMKCA might well have trounced any chance we had with Bill Howard making our Blade Forum Knife.

Why in the heck can't people leave well enough alone and let Charlie waynorth waynorth , Barry, Spark, Gary, and Frank handle it.

Jeez

Ruh roh...

I can’t make complete sense of what Greg is saying, because I don’t know what he knows, but it sounds like someone is sending emails to Bill asking around about something that’s being taken care of?

Edit: a fresh read made this crystal clear. It’s like getting invited to a wonderful party, and then inviting your other friends to come along.

Stowaways ye say?
Mutinyyeea!
Interfering with the Voyage and
Being a Pest on board a Porchenberg Ship !
Guilty on all 3 counts
Dashed unacceptable.! By Thunder and Typhoon if I hear as much as one more whisper of that it will be a black day for us all.
If any of ye want to drag sea anchors I swear ye can dance the Tyburn jig from the yardarm, run the gauntlet , walk the plank , kiss the gunners daughter and spend a year in the brig ....just for starters! Now back to yer tasks.

like he’s driving a coach bus filled with kids and he’s got to give out cookies, but as soon as one kid gets one the others go “WHADDABOUT MEEEE?!”.
I play the classical fm station on my school bus run in the morning...arvo I liven it up with the news channel....can't abide ads. If theres any whinging Ive always got spotify and the Massed Pipes and Drums of the Loch Porchy Highland Regiment....

Last edited:
Interesting, though seems a bit odd to have two distinctly different groups asking for the exact same knife, no???
Who is meant by the I, is it the Leadership member, or you.
Who, is up in the air over the knife?
:rolleyes:
No, it's not odd. It's what normally happens when clubs get knives. For example, the exact same thing just happened with the #38s. OKCA got a #38 with the beaver shield tacked onto the normal run. Here is the image GEC currently has on their site
https://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GEC-ILLUSTRATED-1.jpg Not to mention, as I have above, that it's what AMKCA has done the last several years. Usually it's just a different cover material, but it can be as simple as just adding the AMKCA etch. (it's an extreme favor by Bill and hugely appreciated by all club members and AMKCA in general)

The I in the sentence you quoted referred to me, the writer.

This is third party info but the other AMKCA member who talked to Bill said that Bill seemed up in the air or unsure (I don't recall his exact words) about the knife. It wasn't a huge thing, certainly not as big as people are making it out to be here. He may well have meant the bolster style or cover color wasn't decided, or he might have meant he was unsure of making the knife, who knows.

If there is any positive angle here it is that Bill Howard does not seem like the kind of person who would renege on a commitment, so I believe we will survive this for 2021. I also have confidence in Charlie’s ability to handle the situation. However, this might not bode well for future efforts with GEC and probably will make them less likely to take on club knives.

You certainly seem to think you know a lot about me, my intentions, AMKCA, the situation with AMKCA's club knife, etc. from a single post.

First, as I mentioned above, the idea of tacking a few knives onto a run for an AMKCA club knife is not new. It was already discussed for this year.

I didn't consult Charlie, because I had no reason to believe it was a secret or exclusive to BladeForums. In fact, here's a direct quote from Charlie when he posted the mockup; "News from GEC!! Bill has made us an offer!! I think it also previews a knife he will make later in the year! Tell me what you think!!" Here's a link to the post if you find me too harmful to believe:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/the...scussion-thread.1779065/page-30#post-20439577
So what about that should have indicated to me that it was something that should not be shared outside of BF (which is not even where I saw it first)? Or that it wasn't to be itself tacked on to an upcoming run (and not some special favor small run)? Or even that it wasn't a sure thing (being that it was an offer)? That post seems to indicate that it was an offer on the table and that it was itself going to be tacked onto a normal run (just like AMKCA knives normally are). I looked back at Charlie's other posts in this thread and don't see anything in any other posts that contradict this understanding. I just see Spark being on board, and general enthusiasm for the knife.

That is where my actions came from; pure enthusiast for a knife that I thought looked cool. When the #86s came out I thought that it'd be great as a barlow, and hoped they'd do some in that configuration in the future. When I saw that BladeForums was getting an #86 barlow and that it seemed likely to be part of a larger run, I was just genuinely excited. AMKCA had already been in discussion on what pattern to have their club knife made on this year, and they haven't had a barlow club knife as far as I know. That's all it was. Certainly 0% negativity, or trying to harm the BladeForums knife, or take away from BF or the process, or anything of the sort.

Again, I mean no negativity toward Charlie about how he posted it whatsoever, or about the knife, or about GEC. I am just showing how my actions are not what they're being painted as by you and others. No surprise to me, unfortunately, that my interactions on the Porch have lessened my excitement and enthusiasm.

LOL cease and desist? Maybe you should send me a strongly worded letter.

Multiple missteps here, and if this sinks the GEC 2021 knife, well, I wouldn't want to be you. Why would you think it was acceptable to try to get another group's knife added to what is almost certainly a favor run for Charlie and BF? That was irresponsible in the extreme.
I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything saying that it was a favor run for Charlie and BF. Like many things with GEC upcoming production I wouldn't be surprised if details were undetermined. Above you can see where the original post including the mock up, which I made sure to look at to see what Charlie said about it, said no such thing and in fact indicated it was likely to be part of a larger / general run of the pattern.

It's amazing how much sway you think one simple email (that, again, was mostly not on this subject) I sent can have over Bill and this process.

So, being that it's what's always been done for AMKCA and what Charlie suggested was being done for the BladeForums knife, I think it was relatively reasonable for me to think it acceptable to inquire about having a few knives added on to what was indicated was possibly going to be a general run of knives to be AMKCA club knives.

Also, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to be me. I already seem to be a pariah here on BladeForums, so I'm not sure what could be done. I have a good standing in the community in general and with GEC. Thanks for your concern though!

Last edited:
I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything saying that it was a favor run for Charlie and BF. Like many things with GEC upcoming production I wouldn't be surprised if details were undetermined. Above you can see where the original post including the mock up, which I made sure to look at to see what Charlie said about it, said no such thing and in fact indicated it was likely to be part of a larger / general run of the pattern.

It's amazing how much sway you think one simple email (that, again, was mostly not on this subject) I sent can have over Bill and this process.

So, being that it's what's always been done for AMKCA and what Charlie suggested was being done for the BladeForums knife, I think it was relatively reasonable for me to think it acceptable to inquire about having a few knives added on to what was indicated was possibly going to be a general run of knives to be AMKCA club knives.

Also, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to be me. I already seem to be a pariah here on BladeForums, so I'm not sure what could be done. I have a good standing in the community in general and with GEC. Thanks for your concern though!

Please see the above.

I'm sorry, what? You didn't see anything saying it was a favor run for Charlie and BF? Go back and read the first, fifteen, twenty pages of this thread. GEC announced that they weren't doing SFOs anymore last year, and Charlie made it clear early in this thread that a GEC Forum Knife was absolutely NOT a sure thing, and then he offered (very kindly) to approach Bill directly about the possibility of doing a knife for us. Possibility, that means "not a sure thing". Charlie used these words in this thread. Thanks to his request, Bill seemed amenable and came back with a mockup that has us (and everybody on the two GEC Facebook groups) excited. So, Bill comes back with a mockup of something he MIGHT make for us (IE: Bladeforums, not anywhere else), and as of now, isn't a sure thing, and you felt it "relatively reasonable" to ask Bill if some other club could have their knife be a part of a knife run that Bill was possibly thinking of making for Bladeforums? That is a sincere lack of judgement, as far as I'm concerned. As for why I wouldn't want to be you, you just exhaustively explained it yourself above. You saw no issue in deciding to ask Bill to add something for another group, to something he hinted that he might be amenable to making for us (Bladeforums, not any other group).

You keep talking about all this "enthusiasm and excitement" you had. Sure seems like the enthusiasm and excitement you had was for the possibility of some other group riding BF and Charlie Campagna's coat-tails, and frankly that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and sure seems to have struck others similarly. So, to clarify*, when I said I wouldn't want to be you, I meant, I wouldn't want to be the guy who got the Bladeforums 2021 knife cancelled because I was trying to glom some other club's knife onto our order and Bill decided to pass on the whole thing. As is, it's 100% clear that no matter how many GEC make of the BF knife, it won't be enough, and those totals aren't even decided yet. Adding knives for some other club makes zero sense.

* As you seem to have failed to comprehend what I was getting at in polite fashion above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back