The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For accurate continuous dating, like the Case stamp, wouldn't we need to switch symbols (dots instead of stars, for example), change the BF etch/stamp, or otherwise signify the start of a new decade of dates? Otherwise a 9-star from last decade will carry the same "date" as a 9-star from this decade.

I love the tang stamp dating codes and 100% agree that they should continue if possible. :):thumbsup:
Doesn’t Case always use dots? I think they changed the way the writing looked each decade the only thing I can think of was the 80’s had very angular writing on the stamp, for us that doesn’t apply as each stamp from different makers has had different style of writing. Also now that I’m thinking about it some of the stars for us were actually dots anyway like the buck a couple years ago and I’m sure there were others. My vote would be if it saves a few bucks or something we reverse the number system and go back to 1 and if it’s a few cents we “start over” and go to 9 assuming last year was 10 even though it wasn’t “numbered”.

Bill didn’t say anything about the knife coming with purple delrin handles and gold glitter did he?

Barry thank you very much for spearheading this year’s forum knife.

Last edited:
When I was a young boy, I had a old Schrade barlow that got poked, prodded, speared, banged, pushed, dunked, sawed, thrown, rusted, polished, rusted again, hammered, and also served some time as a paper weight on the desk in my bedroom.

I abused that thing and it rode along on countless adventures. I wish I knew what happened to it, but as with many things from our respective childhoods, it’s gone and who knows where.

Maybe it’s still getting some use, maybe rescued and cared for, maybe a pile of rust buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the woods.

Seeing this mock-up being a Barlow makes me pretty nostalgic.

Doesn’t Case always use dots? I think they changed the way the writing looked each decade the only thing I can think of was the 80’s had very angular writing on the stamp, for us that doesn’t apply as each stamp from different makers has had different style of writing. Also now that I’m thinking about it some of the stars for us were actually dots anyway like the buck a couple years ago and I’m sure there were others. My vote would be if it saves a few bucks or something we reverse the number system and go back to 1 and if it’s a few cents we “start over” and go to 9 assuming last year was 10 even though it wasn’t “numbered”.
I don’t totally know the numbering system, but I thought last year’s knife would have had the stamp with no stars if it had been stamped.

POST 596 !!!!

So perhaps others can find it quicker than what I just did. Not that I didn’t enjoy a lot of posts, but I wanted to see Charlie’s post! I plan to buy one of these; I’m short on Barlows and I appreciate GEC.

THANK YOU to everyone involved in getting this done!

I say "bladeforums 2021" :cool:
No one needs to figure out some code for this stupid year! :eek::D

One could argue that last year was stupider :D.

To my eye, there is no blade more beautiful than a Bill Howard-designed clip on a traditional knife.

Really hard to beat a GEC clip blade, they execute it better than most, in my opinion.

If a club wants to have the exact same knife another club is having made except for a different shield/engraving/whatever, is it a homage, a copy, or a clone?

One thing is clear, this has already been one of the great threads of the porch and there is more to follow :)

We now require a knife that is its equal in every way :cool:

This knife should be controversial, unkind, well-intentioned and generous in spirit, with a backwards glance at covid, a chance of creating extreme feelings of disappointment, glee or envy for every purchaser, and an unrepentent sense of pure optimism for the future of Bladeforums!

Or in other words, I slightly favour wood over sawcut bone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back