The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill is not fickle, and I will not address the "sway" issue!!:cool:
We are getting a BF knife absolutely!! Bill is a man of his word!!
I just got off the phone with him, and it's all going smoothly and well, if a bit slowly!! :thumbsup:
So keep heart my friends!! On my honor I will do my duty, and Bill is with us all the way!!:)
progress:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks again @waynorth Charlie et all:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just got off the phone with him, and it's all going smoothly and well, if a bit slowly!! :thumbsup:
So keep heart my friends!! On my honor I will do my duty, and Bill is with us all the way!!:)
Well, I’m certainly glad *that* is settled. Thank you again for your time, effort, and most importantly, your patience in making this possible. :D

No, it's not odd. It's what normally happens when clubs get knives. For example, the exact same thing just happened with the #38s. OKCA got a #38 with the beaver shield tacked onto the normal run. Here is the image GEC currently has on their site
https://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GEC-ILLUSTRATED-1.jpg Not to mention, as I have above, that it's what AMKCA has done the last several years. Usually it's just a different cover material, but it can be as simple as just adding the AMKCA etch. (it's an extreme favor by Bill and hugely appreciated by all club members and AMKCA in general)

The I in the sentence you quoted referred to me, the writer.

This, again, is third party info but the other AMKCA member who talked to Bill said that Bill seemed up in the air or unsure (I don't recall his exact words) about the knife. It wasn't a huge thing, certainly not as big as people are making it out to be here. He may well have meant the bolster style or cover color wasn't decided, or he might have meant he was unsure of making the knife, who knows.

If I'm assuming correctly your eye roll is directed at GECC, I don't know how to respond. GECC has been very welcoming and positive in my experience.

Thanks for the clarification, I read one or two other posts where folks seemed confused, and after reading your post a couple times, I was a tiny bit confused. As to the rolleys, never assume, LOL, and don't take it too seriously. It was just meant in general to your entire post, and was posted in a light hearted intention...written word and all that. :)

Also, I had no idea at all regarding the other club or its size, and such a small add on for a club that Bill seems to have accommodated before, ( my interpretation of your posts on the matter), seems trivial at this point. Have a good evening.

The smaller the add-on order, the more exclusive the knife. I would be enthusiatic and appreciative too if I could convince GEC to make my friends a limited run of twenty or so knives.

PgTO6S2.jpg

I envy you guys having an ability to get your own runs made. But as the above AMKC facebook post indicates, your club members aren’t any different to the rest of us in wanting the nicest knife you possibly can. We are all together in that little boat.

As things stand, we’ll all have to play nice and hopefully all this demand creates openings for new manufacturers to come online.

Last edited:

Charlie, thank you for the positive update. Your work and contribution around here is always appreciated. It’s been a crazy year so this is something fun and exciting to look forward to!

Thanks for the clarification, I read one or two other posts where folks seemed confused, and after reading your post a couple times, I was a tiny bit confused. As to the rolleys, never assume, LOL, and don't take it too seriously. It was just meant in general to your entire post, and was posted in a light hearted intention...written word and all that. :)

Also, I had no idea at all regarding the other club or its size, and such a small add on for a club that Bill seems to have accommodated before, ( my interpretation of your posts on the matter), seems trivial at this point. Have a good evening.

I'm sorry, I unfortunately am overly defensive and sometimes apply the negativity I see in a few posts to some that don't deserve it. I apologize for the harshness of my response.

The smaller the add-on order, the more exclusive the knife. I would be enthusiatic and appreciative too if I could convince GEC to make my friends a limited run of twenty or so knives.

PgTO6S2.jpg

I envy you guys having an ability to get your own runs made. But as the above AMKC facebook post indicates, your club members aren’t any different to the rest of us in wanting the nicest knife you possibly can. We are all together in that little boat.

As things stand, we’ll all have to play nice and hopefully all this demand creates openings for new manufacturers to come online.

As I hope you can see from that post from 2019 (funny, I completely forgot about that happening at that time also), I don't have much say in what knife the AMKCA club gets. I am not in a leadership role. The only thing I've affected is I pushed for the 2020 knife to have a pinned shield, rather than glued, and it came to fruition but I doubt it was due to my efforts only.

I'm not sure why you chose to call me out?
I hope you (and everybody else) get all the knives you are so darned excited about.

I'm sorry, I thought that you had quoted me on that post.

I'll admit, I'm overly defensive. I let the negativity I receive from some affect how I reply to others, and that's not a good thing. I apologize.

I don't post much anymore, mostly because this is the type of response I often get.
I think if this is the response you often get you may want to look at what you are putting out there. Especially on the porch it’s a very forgiving place. Even for Jiki Jiki . Am I right EngrSorenson EngrSorenson . That said I think we should bring up the question of the blade stamp and the number of stars. We were down to one with the last GEC forum knife and the most recent one would have either been 10 or zero. I say we call it zero and go back up the number of stars so that this would be 1 again and next year would be two so GEC could use the same stamp and maybe save a buck or two. @waynorth would know if that makes any sense or if GEC would still have that stamp.

That said I think we should bring up the question of the blade stamp and the number of stars. We were down to one with the last GEC forum knife and the most recent one would have either been 10 or zero. I say we call it zero and go back up the number of stars so that this would be 1 again and next year would be two so GEC could use the same stamp and maybe save a buck or two. @waynorth would know if that makes any sense or if GEC would still have that stamp.

The mockup shows a stamp with no stars. I know it's just a mockup for a proposal but I do like the clean look of the stamp without the stars.

We had an etch last year and a single star the year prior - might be cool to go with no stars this year and see what happens for next.

Last edited:
The mockup shows a stamp with no stars. I know it's just a mockup for a proposal but I do like the clean look of the stamp without the stars.

We had an etch last year and a single star the year prior - might be cool to go with no stars this year and see what happens for next.
It was meant as a way of dating the knives kind of like case uses. It really should be 9 stars I think as last years would have been 10. It’s been that way for longer than I’ve been around I just remember the discussions from years past I don’t think that a year of stars should be skipped just for aesthetics, not that I disagree with it, but, tradition.

It was meant as a way of dating the knives kind of like case uses. It really should be 9 stars I think as last years would have been 10.

For accurate continuous dating, like the Case stamp, wouldn't we need to switch symbols (dots instead of stars, for example), change the BF etch/stamp, or otherwise signify the start of a new decade of dates? Otherwise a 9-star from last decade will carry the same "date" as a 9-star from this decade.

I love the tang stamp dating codes and 100% agree that they should continue if possible. :):thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back