The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at toolboxes the other day and I just had an idea. How about diamondplate for handle scales? Don’t like that idea then how about pakkawood? Other manufacturers have used it on knives.
Curly or Birdseye maple? Maybe olive wood?

I was looking at toolboxes the other day and I just had an idea. How about diamondplate for handle scales?

I hate you. (I jest)

Curly or Birdseye maple? Maybe olive wood?

I think any of those last three choices would look gorgeous.

I like olive.
xZUog7R.jpg

Not voting yet.... just throwing out suggestions to give Charlie an idea of a direction to go. He'll go with it, then let us vote on the few options that get the most suggestions.... ( I think )

I'm not certain about the flat scales and bolster.... I've never held one, and it seems that it might feel too angular.... I prefer my knives curve to fit in my hand.
I need to find one to play with.... that's one reason I never warmed to the idea of the 06 Templars.... they just look too.... flat.

Alright... Dug through my store of wood for a few favorites (not counting African Blackwood and standard Desert Ironwood).

What about a nice burl? Always a gorgeous choice if an option.

Left to right:
Walnut, Desert Ironwood, Maple, Redwood, Buckeye.
DSPzvvY.jpg

Or maybe a wood that shines up nice and doesn't need to be stabilized?

Left to Right:
Snakeskin, Ziricote, Bocote (this example happens to be stabilized), and a personal favorite... Brazilian Tulipwood.
5hUigZa.jpg

Or maybe a bit exotic?

Top to bottom:
Black and white ebony, Curly KOA, Maccassar Ebony. Too exotic?
vylh2SP.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think Brazilian Tulipwood would be really cool.

Last edited:
Seems bone is the leading preference!

Nevertheless, my preference would be wood. These are substantial knives and I think the weight difference wood brings is meaningful for anyone planning to carry it. I also prefer the look too!
The sawcut Osage turned out great on the 15’s and fits the look of a working knife to my eyes.
If it’s bone, then I personally like the idea of a simple smooth or flat with bevel edge white bone.
Whatever the poll decides will, without a doubt, be excellent!

Sounds like white bone, “ivory” bone, and natural bone are all the same idea. I think ivory here is about the color ivory, not the tusk.

In proper order:

Saw cut white bone (or natural, preferably white in color)

Smooth white bone (“ “)

Saw cut bone (any color)

The bone texture they went with on the cherry 85’s but not that color

Saw cut Osage orange

smooth bone (any color)

saw cut wood (any color)

Or maybe a bit exotic?

Top to bottom:
Black and white ebony, Curly KOA, Maccassar Ebony. To exotic?
vylh2SP.jpg

Oh my, that flame koa block is absolutely stunning! There may be no more beautiful wood than that!

I need a block just like that sized for a guitar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back