The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe a bit exotic?

Top to bottom:
Black and white ebony, Curly KOA, Maccassar Ebony. To exotic?
vylh2SP.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think Brazilian Tulipwood would be really cool.
I'm sure its not an option, but that black and white ebony would be fantastic :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Alright... Dug through my store of wood for a few favorites (not counting African Blackwood and standard Desert Ironwood).

What about a nice burl? Always a gorgeous choice if an option.

Left to right:
Walnut, Desert Ironwood, Maple, Redwood, Buckeye.
DSPzvvY.jpg

Or maybe a wood that shines up nice and doesn't need to be stabilized?

Left to Right:
Snakeskin Zirocote, Ziricote, Bocote (this example happens to be stabilized), and a personal favorite... Brazilian Tulipwood.
5hUigZa.jpg

Or maybe a bit exotic?

Top to bottom:
Black and white ebony, Curly KOA, Maccassar Ebony. To exotic?
vylh2SP.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think Brazilian Tulipwood would be really cool.
I would get real excited if GEC ever made a knife with Maple wood. I met my wife in Maplewood, MO.

Something no one has suggested yet and gec did it previously on the 86 is the oily creek bone. Fine looking bone and more importantly, i dont have one but i want one...

some people want natural white, others want a dark color. Why not have both.

Something no one has suggested yet and gec did it previously on the 86 is the oily creek bone. Fine looking bone and more importantly, i dont have one but i want one...

Something else GEC did on the 86 is the sucker rod wood. I have an 86 with it and wouldn't mind a single blade with the same wood.

Some of the smarter members agree with you.

Yeah the soup bone/oily creek bone knives were super nice. That seemed like a pretty consistent natural material for a run like this.

If wood, i could go with the sucker rod would be nice i think. Saw cut sucker rod would be something different

There have been a lot of suggestions, and sometimes i speed read, i recall reading something about soup bone but wasnt familiar with it and failed to comprehend the whole post.

I think saw cut bone would be my first choice - this pattern would look sweet in copperhead covers:

H4044OE.jpg

I wouldn’t be opposed to African Blackwood or Ebony either:

M4JuWzh.jpg

I’m in for the 2021 BF knife regardless of the final decision.

I'm sure its not an option, but that black and white ebony would be fantastic :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yea... I don't see quantities of Diospyros embryopteris available very often, but when I do buy it, I actually don't pay much more than I do for black ebonies.

I would get real excited if GEC ever made a knife with Maple wood. I met my wife in Maplewood, MO.

I'd be really excited for a nice maple or walnut burl.

Those Oily Creek's were another one GEC did VERY well.

bDnsWRR.jpg

Last edited:
I think sawcut oil sucker rod would make great covers for this Barlow, but so would sawcut bone, preferably in an antique amber.

While I kinda sorta think saw cut bone is a bit more traditional for a Barlow pattern, I’d personally love some randomized jig bone. I like how it makes each knife a bit unique. Especially in natural bone form.

A light colored and smooth wood that has a burl type grain would be the cats meow as well.

As I've said before, I would like plain Ivory Bone, it really excels on Bareheads.

I assume it's pretty uniform so there can be no moaning about mine looks worse than his...:rolleyes:
Ages exceptionally well.

Not had Smooth Bone on a Forum Knife before.

7k54cAS.jpg

I'd put in my vote for the plain ivory smooth bone option. This knife has such a classic look would make for a memorable BF knife

Wow a lot of great ideas here. I know I will be happy with whatever we get, but since we are giving our preferences mine would be:
burl wood
burlap Micarta
smooth bone

In that order, I guess, tomorrow I may feel differently :rolleyes:

If bone, I’d like sawcut for sure. Maybe a color (blue, green, red)

If wood, ironwood or something w character.

No matter how it goes, I’m in.

Joe

Thank you for the clarification, John. I thought that might have been what you were talking about - Harry, of course, extrapolated a bit more.

I am in respectful disagreement though. I have a couple of Lambsfoot knives that have more forward cant than others and they are my least favorite of my modest assortment. One of the features of Charlie's Lamb that sets it above most others in my collection, is the length of its blade and the elegance of its taper. It is one of the few knives that I own where I feel I could be happy with just that one in my pocket from here 'til I become worm food.

I have found it to be a very efficient cutter, in all of the ways I might need to cut something. Of course, there is nothing wrong with the other Lambsfoot knives that I own - especially the AWS offerings, I really do enjoy them all. I'd even love to compare a big 'un to the Waynorth Lambs at some point in the future.

With regards to forward blade cant though, I dislike it a lot - it always feels wrong in my hand. However, it just goes to show that there are features for us all - where one might not like something, another will adore it.

I have to agree with you Dylan. That slight cant really makes it a step above in comfort for most of my uses. I get everyone is different and how we use them has a lot to do with what each prefers. I seem to hold onto knives that have a very user friend cant like the Waynorth. If needed I am open for trying another example or 2 ... for research you know ... :thumbsup:

In line with some I have read mentioned and I do like smooth appoloosa bone. The autumn bone could look very nice also. I like some saw cut wood over saw cut bone (a personal preference). And I don't care for jigged bone at all. I like the idea of Ebony to match the 2019. And to throw it out (with zero help to keep the costs down) A good Curly Koa is one of my absolute favorite woods for a knife handle. Another that has become a wood I'm extremely fond of is Ringed Gidgee. Since we are just tossing ideas out there for the universe to see.

All that being said ... I will be in for one at least whatever it turns out to be. Unless this purple / gold /sparkle with an Unicorn shield is what becomes our 2021 BF knife. Then I may take that as a sign and take up a new hobby. o_O:confused:

Usually my preference for a big Barlow like this would be for a nice red soup bone, but I think that it would look a little incongruous with that fancy bolster. I typically think of a Barlow as a more rustic working working knife, but with that fancy lined and rattailed bolster I feel like something a little more refined is in order. So sawcut bone is also out for me, for the same reason.

I would like a smooth bone, I am definitely sold on the calico and appaloosa bone that has been shared here. I think either of those options would be interesting while also being sleek and refined looking for this knife. A sort of dress-Barlow.

Another option that i haven't seen mentioned that I think would be nice would be a burnt bone scale. Something like on this S&M Barlow would be just the bee's knees on the 2021 forum knife. Can't you just see it now?
full

Usually my preference for a big Barlow like this would be for a nice red soup bone, but I think that it would look a little incongruous with that fancy bolster. I typically think of a Barlow as a more rustic working working knife, but with that fancy lined and rattailed bolster I feel like something a little more refined is in order. So sawcut bone is also out for me, for the same reason.

I would like a smooth bone, I am definitely sold on the calico and appaloosa bone that has been shared here. I think either of those options would be interesting while also being sleek and refined looking for this knife. A sort of dress-Barlow.

Another option that i haven't seen mentioned that I think would be nice would be a burnt bone scale. Something like on this S&M Barlow would be just the bee's knees on the 2021 forum knife. Can't you just see it now?
full

That would be a looker!

We've had some crazy years for the traditional forum knife, but I honestly think this thread takes the cake! Wow... o_O

Many know I'm not a huge traditionals guy, but I do have a few of the past year's forum knives. I don't participate in the choosing of any of it, you porch regulars care about it way more than I do, so I don't muddy the waters. But occasionally, y'all turn one out that I like. :cool: Curious to see if this year's will be one.

One last thing, BE NICE! ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back