Thoughts and impressions if the new Micro/IBBB/Bawanna Bowie Good and bad.

I have been thinking about this while I have been arranging for all the details. And I think what I plan to do is, once I get it and Bawanna does his awesome work, and Pugs gets some beautiful pants made, I will also "Match" each of the donations they are making. So Bawanna since, I am donating $25 in your name for the checkering as we agreed. Then Pugs as soon as we calculate out the donation part of your work after we make sure to cover all your expenses. Then I will send Auntie a matching donation for my part to match both of yours since I have no skills to volunteer. This IBBB is going to be expensive but it is going to be beautiful and well worth it and I think that just makes it a little bit sweeter for me to own a blade that does so much good for the fund. Thank you both for your generous offers.

I have been thinking about this while I have been arranging for all the details. And I think what I plan to do is, once I get it and Bawanna does his awesome work, and Pugs gets some beautiful pants made, I will also "Match" each of the donations they are making. So Bawanna since, I am donating $25 in your name for the checkering as we agreed. Then Pugs as soon as we calculate out the donation part of your work after we make sure to cover all your expenses. Then I will send Auntie a matching donation for my part to match both of yours since I have no skills to volunteer. This IBBB is going to be expensive but it is going to be beautiful and well worth it and I think that just makes it a little bit sweeter for me to own a blade that does so much good for the fund. Thank you both for your generous offers.

Shavru, I don't think you need to put out that much. I want Auntie and HI to benefit some from this effort, when I'm too poor to support by buying knives I can help a bit by doing this checkering thing, I'm sure Pugs and the others feel the same way. He has skill and material, again I'm mostly just doing time. 25 total to auntie and covering shipping and Pugs material seems more than fair to me. Don't have to be that much far as I'm concerned. Heck I know money is tough to hang onto these days.
On grips I don't even charge, I just tell folks send what you can, if your rich send a lot, if your not, don't send so much ya know.
It all helps auntie and the HI cause so it all adds up. Auntie has helped connect me with knives several times so I owe her anyhow.

Ah Bawanna, I really do appreciate your concern, but I already knew the numbers when I decided I could do it. While definately not rich, I was able to pick up a side project on a couple weekends to earn a little more this month than usual. And I value time and skill, in this case your's and Pug's, far more than I value money. So it is basically that I was able to use my skills to also assist Auntie and HI, just less directly since my skills don't really bring much to the table for knife fans :) . I don't expect this to become the normal occurance, I won't be able to do this every blade I purchase, but this micro, between the Kamis making them and you and Pugs being so generous with your time and skills it will be something special. And I want to recognize that. for some reason it just feels like the right thing to do, so it is what I am planning to do.

Well as we used to say back in the 60's if it feels good do it! I still remember the 60's vaguely, I was younger then, I remember that clearly.

LoL, I have zero memory of the 60s. of course I wasn't very old then either but still old enough to not remember and those of you old enough will understand that comment

Well it's a new worlds record, I was hoping for a triangle box tomorrow and regretted not having it sent to my house so I could get it saturday if it didn't show up. Not to worry, it showed up today!!!! 2 days boys and girls. When Auntie says be there you be there dig?
Anyhow the especially nice triangle box, postal people didn't abuse it at all, probably the nicest triangle box in my collection, contained 3 of the 2nd generation Micro Bowies with the inch longer handle. No I'm not greedy they are for other folks, just here for some handle scratching.
The blades are perfect as usual and at the risk of being honest the handles didn't blow my dress up as much.
They truly aren't bad, not awful and I always do some fine tuning prior to checkering but these will need a little more, still not a big deal. Until I get em on the bench and attack I'm always skeptical. And to be clear we're not talking tons of major effort, I hate being honest, it makes everything sound bad, or maybe I'm so in love with my 1st edition micro that everything else pales in comparison?
Bhakta left a considerable amount of metal behind the lanyard hole, far more than I feel it really needs. I'm pondering a little hack saw action but I want to ponder well before I cut. I'll post a picture when I retrieve my wife and my camera at the airport tonight at midnight.

Wow, extra quick shipping. Usually takes a day just to get it through the local post office LOL.

And, Do what you think best with the wood one you have for me. I know it will come out awesome, no pressure at all LOL.

...I'll post a picture when I retrieve my wife and my camera at the airport tonight at midnight.

Bawanna will be on high alert at the airport, I imagine. :D

...I've been working on a theory of how and where babies come from. My pretty much verified theory was airport toilet seats. Not the ones on the airplane but the airport, I know my 3 were all caused by this. We'd pick up or drop off folks and 9 months later bam, another tax write off. Since then we drop off or pickup and wife says she needs to go tinkle, I say you just hold it, we'll stop at a gas station and no kids since. That's what they call data in the scientist business.

Well my daughter went to Charlotte NC exactly 9 weeks ago, her doctor said she's 9 weeks along. Truth or Myth? Awwwww.................................I should have been a scientist, I think I got this stuff figured out...

I fear it's too late and this very thought crossed my mind only a few days ago. She's been to several airports and at least 1 more on her way home. Undoubtedly she's visited the facilities in at least one.
This could be a life changing event for sure. I think the doc on our last C section did some knot magic that may save me, at least I hope so.
I know she could keep up with 2 or 3 more but not me. She looks forward anxiously to out granddaughter, said she was gonna quit and babysit for my daughter. I guess I'm ok with that. I think.

Anybody notice that Bhakta is using a new mark on the long handle micro bowie's. The 3 I have now have a Trident or a pitch fork, not sure which. He used to be the bow and arrow guy. Wonder what's up ?

I'm in the final stretch of a makeover on two of the 3. The one I left at work for the Sgt. I'm sure I'll have his on the bench soon also.

I'll try to post some pics prior to close of business this evening.

Ok, more Bowie talk with pictures.

Here is one of the long handle mini bowies. I didn't like the additional metal behind the handle.

So I did a highly technical sophisticated blueprint and ran it by engineering as seen above. After a 32 second consultation I broke out the hacksaw, highly technical and brownie points from Bookie on account of it doesn't have a cord or plug.
So now it looks like this, along side an unhacked version for comparison.

Looks better from the south end as well, or I guess the north end depending on where your standing or sitting in my case in relation to the aforementioned handle???

So since I was hacking, or hacked of, I hacked the second one to match and neglected to take evidence photo's prior to my scratching on the handles.

Horn

Wood

Bone
Oh you silly goose we ain't got no bone handle bawanna bowie..................yet.

Having spent a good portion of yesterday and all of today, family went to visit friends for the day, good for bawanna bench time! At least she's home from Sweden and I'm well fed and don't have to look at my watch every 15 minutes to see if it's get up time since I can't hear an alarm clock, but I digress.
I'm much happier with the long handle mini after the little makeover. And they aren't nearly as bad as I might have indicated in my earlier post. I hate myself for even posting, I should have played first and cast stones never.

Well the wood is nearly done, just awaiting the morning after inspection. The horn needs a couple more passes on the right side so a couple more hours and it should be ready for morning after inspection too.

Feel free to pass judgement but please be gentle, I'm highly sensitive ya know. Borderline tender in the feelings department.

I think most here are firearms enthusiast to some degree. My blade addiction is a small virus compared to my addiction to all things that go bang.

Umm dang dude they look friggen amazing, fantastic job on them man that skip line is sweet. I like what you did getting rid of the excess metal make it look better IMHO.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to read that since one of those is leaving for your house next week. I'm kind of tearing up a little bit with joy. Told ya I'm kind of sensitive.

Great job Bawanna! Love that skip line and your mod to the tang looks good! This batch has the longer tang like some of the older AKBs. It appears there is no recurve in the blade like the first batch. Might just be the pics? The trident mark is interesting. Im pretty sure Aunti said Bahkta made them but they do seem like they have some different lines and shape than the first runs? Fine job again!

Wow, If have started and restarted typing this about 5 times now, because everytime I start thinking about what to say all that gets said is WOW! Bawanna, your eye for these blades is spectacular. I would never have thought that the small change to the end of the handle would make that big of a difference in the overall look but it really does improve the aesthetics of an already beautiful blade. And I am once again impressed with your talent at checkering. Lovely, just incredibly lovely.

Ok, more Bowie talk with pictures.

I didn't like the additional metal behind the handle.

Most of you seen the picture already but before y'all truncate the extra metal estate behind the handle.
I just want to remind you that there is also another option to make use of the space. And it works extremely well on the "original" size MMB.
MicroBowieRehandled01-vi[1].jpg

Back