Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

First entry, Most folks look at Imperial like they look at the knives made offshore. Imperial had a premium line with premium handle covers and better built Traditional patterns. This Imperial with the yellow celluloid scales is most likely from between the 40s-60s.
Until recently Imperial hung on from1916 and were still in the business as Imperial Schrade till 2004 when Schrade finally filed for bankruptcy and closed their doors for good

Most likely this Medium Stockman was once someone’s prized possession. That’s why 70-80 years later I’m able to throw it in my pocket and enjoy the craftsmanship of a master cutler who’s probably been dead longer than I’ve been alive.

A very cheap Equal-End Jack. New with the original oil in the joints. Makes me wonder who made it. The USA tang stamp might be Colonial?

ac2Ym3.jpg

sLmote.jpg

Thank you Just Tom! I'll see if I can find information on that brand.
Just a casual observation. The ones I have seen online all have “The Ideal” stamped on the tang, but the construction looks similar, or even lower quality if that is possible. It could still be Colonial or some other company. A really neat and well preserved knife, either way - maybe somebody with more knowledge than me could chime in.

Last edited:
Just a casual observation. The ones I have seen online all have “The Ideal” stamped on the tang, but the construction looks similar, or even lower quality if that is possible. It could still be Colonial or some other company. A really neat and well preserved knife, either way - maybe somebody with more knowledge than me could chime in.
I looked up information on The Ideal brand. Not much to read out there, but all pics I've seen have the stamp you describe. The Blade's Guide has a reference to the USA stamp (with no other words added) as belonging to Colonial. Low priced knives at any rate. On the bright side I must say the edge is really good, and I value this humble knife as a good example of knives made to cost next to nothing and , nevertheless, be able to cut. Thanks again for your help!

I looked up information on The Ideal brand. Not much to read out there, but all pics I've seen have the stamp you describe. The Blade's Guide has a reference to the USA stamp (with no other words added) as belonging to Colonial. Low priced knives at any rate. On the bright side I must say the edge is really good, and I value this humble knife as a good example of knives made to cost next to nothing and , nevertheless, be able to cut. Thanks again for your help!
:thumbsup:. You owe me $10, by he way :D. Inspired by your post, I went looking for images of The Ideal knives, found an unused one on the auction site, and wound up buying it. Probably twice what it’s worth, and I’m sure the blades won’t be nearly as good as on your Colonial, but I have fond memories of seeing these and similar items displayed in local shops and couldn’t resist. I always had inexpensive but decent quality knives growing up though, so I never actually bought one.

I will post pictures here when it arrives.

FWIW, I have a Kingston Cattle Knife from 1947 with a USA tang stamp (note no periods, unlike your example, and the "Kingston" blade etch is apparently long gone on the one I have). I think Kingston Cutlery was a joint venture of Ulster and Imperial during WWII, and my understanding (I could easily be wrong about these complicated relationships between old knife makers) is that Kingston eventually became Schrade-Walden. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kingston-cutlery-company-research.428411/
cattleknife.open.jpg
cattleknife.kingstonK320.1947.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
:thumbsup:. You owe me $10, by he way :D. Inspired by your post, I went looking for images of The Ideal knives, found an unused one on the auction site, and wound up buying it. Probably twice what it’s worth, and I’m sure the blades won’t be nearly as good as on your Colonial, but I have fond memories of seeing these and similar items displayed in local shops and couldn’t resist. I always had inexpensive but decent quality knives growing up though, so I never actually bought one.

I will post pictures here when it arrives.
My fault! I'll honor my debt 😁. Just for the sake of general info, mine cost $5 (sort of a miracle. I almost never come across sweet deals). I'm glad you got a The Ideal for yourself. Looking forward to the pics.

FWIW, I have a Kingston Cattle Knife from 1947 with a USA tang stamp (note no periods, unlike your example, and the "Kingston" blade etch is apparently long gone on the one I have). I think Kingston Cutlery was a joint venture of Ulster and Imperial during WWII, and my understanding (I could easily be wrong about these complicated relationships between old knife makers) is that Kingston eventually became Schrade-Walden. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kingston-cutlery-company-research.428411/
View attachment 1586530
View attachment 1586532

- GT
I love that old Kingston in such good condition. Thanks for the pics! Very interesting to see other knives with the USA "only" tang stamp. By the way, I have read the same information about Kingston.

A very cheap Equal-End Jack. New with the original oil in the joints. Makes me wonder who made it. The USA tang stamp might be Colonial?

ac2Ym3.jpg

sLmote.jpg

It looks a little like the knives branded “The Ideal” which were sold on cardboard counter displays.
It looks exactly like the ones I bought a card-full of because they were so cheap. From a catalogue long ago. And I think "Ideal", but don't remember if even the card had a brand on it.
j8SSMct.jpg

Back