Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Is a single bevel, sharpened on only one side and came very sharp out of the package:thumbsup:

F9vQ3wr.jpg
That seems kinda cool, Dan!👍
Nice find!
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to reprofile to a double bevel. Especially if you haven't used a chisel grind before. Give it a try for a while and then decide.

I think it's traditional for budding/grafting/floral knives. Might have something to do with the type of cut that's best for plant stems...

Anyway, here's a set of Antinini Farm Knives. Chisel ground blades and Thrifty!
YIZLica.jpg
Neat-o! Are those yours Rachel?👍
Portuguese by Eliseu-Palaçolo.

I like it, José!👍
Last week I posted a yellow synthetic Chinese Winchester canoe. This week is another, but with "Buckstag" covers.
View attachment 1579906

- GT
Should get the job done, Gary!🙂👍
I’ll follow Gary’s 5K Qs 5K Qs lead, only in a Barlow. View attachment 1580015
A fine user that looks good, Todd!🙂👍
This was about $20 off the web specials page a couple years ago.
Had Bucks growing up, and Old Timers, seemed to be most available and carried, at least in SW New Mexico. 😎👍

I think I picked this one up with a couple of others for ~ $10, a great cary in the pocket watch...pocket... um...yeah!
EEq6U1b.jpg

Neat-o! Are those yours Rachel?
Yes, they are mine, thanks. Here's a little review I wrote a few years back:

Here's a Chinese Imperial cracked ice stainless canoe that I bought almost 7 years ago for under $6.50 (not including tax and shipping). I don't use it every day, but in occasional use I've been very pleased with the knife: solidly built, functions well, looks good (YMMV ;)).
imp.canoe.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Here's an Irish Imperial that was purchased a few years ago off the exchange. At that time it was still sealed in the original packaging. When opened I found a good pocket knife that besides being very economical had a lot going for it. Unfortunatly it does have one flaw, the spear blade contacts the liner. Always intended to correct that but so far I simply compensate for it with a little side pressure when closing and enjoy it as is.
6tRQO6w.jpg

Last edited:
Irish Imperials.
CPw6iuQ.jpg

I remember I paid too much for the one-blader; it must have been over $5, but it was one of those days when I wanted to buy something and hadn't had any luck.
That pen-blade is indecently sharp.
76Qebv3.jpg
I’ve never been a stockman or small knife kind of guy but I grabbed one of the Irish Imperial stockman from the mrknife mrknife box of knives GAW and it’s a sweet little knife that has 3 very sharp blades.
The best $14.99 I’ve ever spent
:)
Rough Ryder
Agree with everything you’ve said about this RR Gary. Just a little bigger than I prefer for edc, as I drop 4” of Schrade wire jack steel in my pocket. Lol.

Last edited:
Sweet charred and scratted handles, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks! You are the one who actually gave me the idea. I thought I would try it out on these before attempting it on the sheepsfoot one.

The smaller one is just dyed. I wasn’t planning on charring the big one either, but the varnish was thick in places - I thought I had sanded it all off, but there were spots where I clearly hadn’t and the dye wouldn’t penetrate.

Yes, they are mine, thanks. Here's a little review I wrote a few years back:

Thanks for the link to your review, Rachel! I'll have to keep them in mind.🙂👍
That pen-blade is indecently sharp.
76Qebv3.jpg
Ouch!
I almost cut my finger with my choice today as well! Sharp little dudes!
The best $14.99 I’ve ever spent
:)
Rough Ryder

G2
Edited to say this shows a swedge that I put on as it doesn’t have that originally
Looks to be well worth it.👍
It’s DEFINITELY not a 47 in burlap Micarta, but, since I can’t find one of those, this will have to do. At least it was thrifty!😉👍View attachment 1584265
Don't look too bad from here, Todd!😎
Here's a Chinese Imperial cracked ice stainless canoe that I bought almost 7 years ago for under $6.50 (not including tax and shipping). I don't use it every day, but in occasional use I've been very pleased with the knife: solidly built, functions well, looks good (YMMV ;)).
View attachment 1584297

- GT
It's at least a looker, Gary!🙂👍
I have only one knife with the cracked ice, a Bulldog, for weddings and whatnot!😉👍
Totin' my Imperial Barlow... a very well-constructed and thrifty knife.
The blades are thin, slicey, hold a good edge, and they have excellent 'snap'.
Too funny! That was also my choice today, John! Like Jer and you said, they are lazer sharp!🤠👍
Here's an Irish Imperial that was purchased a few years ago off the exchange. At that time it was still sealed in the original packaging. When opened I found a good pocket knife that besides being very economical had a lot going for it. Unfortunatly it does have one flaw, the spear blade contacts the liner. Always intended to correct that but so far I simply compensate for it with a little side pressure when closing and enjoy it as is.
6tRQO6w.jpg
That's a good looking Imperial!😎👍

Must bevan Imperial type day! Like John, I also have a Imperial Barlow. Maybe we can set up a poll which is a better color, Red or Brown?? 😂👍
VyiOgW8.jpg

I’ve never been a stockman or small knife kind of guy but I grabbed one of the Irish Imperial stockman from the mrknife mrknife box of knives GAW and it’s a sweet little knife that has 3 very sharp blades.

Agree with everything you’ve said about this RR Gary. Just a little bigger than I prefer for edc, as I drop 4” of Schrade wire jack steel in my pocket. Lol.
Alan, your post reminds me of a line from an old Kris Kristofferson song: "He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction." ;):thumbsup:
Thanks! You are the one who actually gave me the idea. I thought I would try it out on these before attempting it on the sheepsfoot one.

The smaller one is just dyed. I wasn’t planning on charring the big one either, but the varnish was thick in places - I thought I had sanded it all off, but there were spots where I clearly hadn’t and the dye wouldn’t penetrate.
Thanks for the additional info about your project, Tom. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back