Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

A few thifty's to "show off"
Imperial Prov RI and Ireland Barlows, and a SARGE "Official BSA" Barlow
View attachment 1588485

Utica medium(?) 4.25 inch toothpick
View attachment 1588487
A cruise ship souviner knife(?)
(ship is worn off the cover. I can't make out the tang stamp ... "C.I.Utters&..." something ... Has an alert laying lion under the name. Marked "Solingin Rostfrei" in two lines on the mark side tang. I think the covers are MOT.
View attachment 1588488View attachment 1588490
SEEMEEL pen knife from Sheffield England. I'm pretty sure the handle is aluminum. Both blades are stamped "Stainless".
View attachment 1588492

I got a couple more never shown before for nextweek. :)

Last edited:
Who doesn't love a bargain??!!! And this one was the biggest bargain of them all...FREE !!!
Before using this 3.5" lockback I probably would never have considered buying it. It came with a flashlight I was going to buy regardless, who's price was already pretty much a steal. Now that I've used it (quite a bit), it has proven itself to be worth at least 200 times what I paid for it. Maybe more! ;)
Light, thin, sharp, comfortable, sure grip, seemingly rugged, made in USA... I could go on, because it really is a very good all round pocket knife, that I truly enjoy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
18aOyh5.jpg

It looks exactly like the ones I bought a card-full of because they were so cheap. From a catalogue long ago. And I think "Ideal", but don't remember if even the card had a brand on it.
j8SSMct.jpg
Thank you for your input! I guess the manufacturer will remain an open question.

I looked up information on The Ideal brand. Not much to read out there, but all pics I've seen have the stamp you describe. The Blade's Guide has a reference to the USA stamp (with no other words added) as belonging to Colonial. Low priced knives at any rate. On the bright side I must say the edge is really good, and I value this humble knife as a good example of knives made to cost next to nothing and , nevertheless, be able to cut. Thanks again for your help!

Came as advertised - unused from a store display card, but with some rust spots and discoloration from longterm storage. Photos make it look worse than it really is, and it is much more solidly constructed than I anticipated. My only disappointment is the extremely stiff pull. The main blade hurts a little to open, and the secondary needs the aid of a coin or screwdriver. There is zero blade play, and it snaps shut with authority, but if I can’t loosen it up a little it may not see much use.

I bought this Buck Special Edition Gift Box around Thanksgiving 2015 for a price that allows each individual knife to meet my personal criteria for a thrifty knife. The tiny toothpick belongs to my wife, so I never carry it, but the big 2-blade toothpick is one of my favorites.
toothpick.box.closed.jpg
toothpick.text.jpg
toothpick.both.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Came as advertised - unused from a store display card, but with some rust spots and discoloration from longterm storage. Photos make it look worse than it really is, and it is much more solidly constructed than I anticipated. My only disappointment is the extremely stiff pull. The main blade hurts a little to open, and the secondary needs the aid of a coin or screwdriver. There is zero blade play, and it snaps shut with authority, but if I can’t loosen it up a little it may not see much use.
Nice thrifty one. Love the blade shape and grind. Stiff blades are always a problem when it comes to everyday use. Also love the peanuts (both legume and knives! ). Thanks for the pic!

Nice thrifty one. Love the blade shape and grind. Stiff blades are always a problem when it comes to everyday use. Also love the peanuts (both legume and knives! ). Thanks for the pic!
:thumbsup: :cool:. The blade is only ground like that on one side, by the way - the other side is completely flat (unground). I really hope I can loosen it up and put it to regular use.

Back