Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Thank you @Just Tom.

All Jokes aside, it's a serious knife :)

kojv9AX.jpg
Any model number?

Picked up this Bear & Son 109 to get free shipping on an order. $13 and saved $8 shipping so I figure it cost me $5 ;)

Simple and a little crude. If smooth walk and talk is "silky" this one is "canvasy" :D Good snap and reasonably tight. Very pointy and sharp. The worst criticism I have of it, is its slippery. I'm thinking about dimpling it with a drill or sanding it. Maybe do a sawcut with a Dremel. Slick and tiny is hard to hold onto. I temporarily added the shoestring to give me a little more to get ahold of. Shown with a Vic Classic and peanut for scale. I prefer the peanut, but in fairness, the peanut does cost over twice as much.

109 1.JPG109 2.JPG109 3.JPG

Much thicker blade stock. Its pretty stout for a small knife. Maybe more than it needs to be given its size. It excels at package opening. Sliceier than it looks.
109 4.JPG

I'll post another canoe this week. It's a Chinese Winchester. The knife is just OK, but certainly not as satisfying nor as well made as my many Rough Riders.
(I found a "Christmas order" I placed in 2017 that includes many canoe models, most of which qualify for my definition of thrifty (<$10). I've been drawing from that order for Thrifty Thursday posts for the past 5 weeks, including today, and there's still one more knife I can post next week.)
yellow.mark.V.shelf.jpg

- GT

Back