Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

This folder advertises one of the Iron cities of Sweden, Avesta.
1-BB707-B5-F55-E-4-A4-B-96-D5-4-D20-EFE2317-B.jpg

I think that tang stamp is intended to be taken literally. "Winchester/Trademark/USA" may only be stating that the trademark is registered in the USA, or held by a company based in the USA.
Good to know for future reference. :thumbsup:
I don't have any recent Winchester knives, but have been tempted a time or two.

Good to know for future reference. :thumbsup:
I don't have any recent Winchester knives, but have been tempted a time or two.
John, when I got home Thursday, I checked that Winchester canoe, and the tang stamp on the other side of the spear blade displays model number/STAINLESS/CHINA.

- GT

Well, it's not yet Thursday here but it is Thursday already somewhere.

Forgive my enthusiasm folks but I just came from the dollar store where I picked up this Clauss folding knife for $ 4 CAD … which is like 99 cents US 😁

On first impressions I am blown away by the quality of this knife, no gaps, blade is centered, good action :thumbsup:.
The only thing I can nit pick is the spring that is slightly sunk at the pivot when closed and slightly proud when opened.

Fit and finish is way above my synthetic Case by a large margin.

The package states it's 3x harder than steel LOL 😀 ( but I thought IT WAS steel ). Supposed to be titanium bonded to stay sharp longer, resist corrosion and adhesives etc

Is a single bevel, sharpened on only one side and came very sharp out of the package:thumbsup:

F9vQ3wr.jpg

jUlzpgf.jpg

mwDyj1e.jpg

8VXOORC.jpg

Now, should I leave it single bevel or reprofile it to a double one ?

Any advantages that I don't know about single bevel pocket knives ?

I got one of those to use, but my wife confiscated it for her use. Really good knife inexpensive. Never had to sharpen it for her and she is hard on blades; cutting things in pans, etc.

Now, should I leave it single bevel or reprofile it to a double one ?

Any advantages that I don't know about single bevel pocket knives ?
Nice find!
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to reprofile to a double bevel. Especially if you haven't used a chisel grind before. Give it a try for a while and then decide.

I think it's traditional for budding/grafting/floral knives. Might have something to do with the type of cut that's best for plant stems...

Anyway, here's a set of Antinini Farm Knives. Chisel ground blades and Thrifty!
YIZLica.jpg

Nice find!
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to reprofile to a double bevel. Especially if you haven't used a chisel grind before. Give it a try for a while and then decide.

I think it's traditional for budding/grafting/floral knives. Might have something to do with the type of cut that's best for plant stems...

Anyway, here's a set of Antinini Farm Knives. Chisel ground blades and Thrifty!
YIZLica.jpg
I was surprised to see a famous heirloom apple man graft a tree to a rootstock for Chef Vivian Howard, using a belt knife with at least a five-inch blade.
I have a felco and or a sak chisel-ground sheepsfoot I haven't vandalized yet.
I read a vignette in a hunting magazine, where Northwest Indians sharpened their OH knives on one side only, with a file. That must have been just those knives for heavy butchering.

I remember being pleased how thrifty this TEW was delivered from England. Part of the reason I was so blithe to modify it.
GK9G9y6.jpg

(Is $16.99 USD plus the 7% governor's bribe/kickback, and shipping considered "thrifty"?)

I guess I'll play it safe. I know $9.99 and $5.99 are thrifty.
I'll try a trapper and MAM large sheepsfoot combo. That'll give me the same blade selection as a stockman ... even if one blade is a friction folder.

Believe I'll stick the faux Bundeswehr I've been carrying the last couple weeks in the rollator's tote/shopping bag, so I'll have it to trim limbs and brush that might be hiding my arrow(s) the wind blew off coarse. :(

RR597 Synthetic Yellow Trapper, (440A blades) and MAM 'Operario' sheepsfoot with Inox and no liner lock.
The fob is factory.

View attachment 1580117

The 302 is my favorite Buck slipjoint. $20 was a steal. Well done :thumbsup:
Too bad Buck stopped making them. I've got a lifetime supply of them, but I feel bad for those that don't ;)
It is a good working type knife.

My favorite is the 305 which on the opposite end of the spectrum, but there is something stout and solid feeling about the 302 that makes it seem ready for work.
Kind of like a sodbuster but more pocket friendly.

Back