Ti/Carbon Fiber S90v Military sale

This thin layer of oxidation on the Ti amounts to nothing really. A penny will still leave a snail trail on it, not to mention sanding it with sandpaper. :confused: As for ZT's black coated Ti, it surely can be sandblasted away.

I’m quoting Wikipedia when I say the 25 nanometers thick layer of oxidation prevents further oxidation for something like 50 years at least. But I was referring to anoir’s slippery Ti handle slab when I asked if sandblasting would help get a better grip?

It came, And it's perfect so far. No chipping on paracord. lol

ZJCpVrT.jpg

That clip won't be there for long.

Here we go again! Lol

Sandblasting will definitely give it a better grip. But it will mark up easy. The 25 nanometer thick "oxidation" on the titanium still amounts to nothing. I have CRKs and other titanium knives that you can't see that 25 nanometer layer of oxidation on them.

Sandblasting will definitely give it a better grip. But it will mark up easy. The 25 nanometer thick "oxidation" on the titanium still amounts to nothing. I have CRKs and other titanium knives that you can't see that 25 nanometer layer of oxidation on them.

I know that 25 nanometers is very thin. That’s billionths of a meter. So my question is, those snail trails are not “oxidation” but rather some other kind of staining?

I know that 25 nanometers is very thin. That’s billionths of a meter. So my question is, those snail trails are not “oxidation” but rather some other kind of staining?

No snail trails are something like keys or coins that scratch through the bead blasted finish, or oxidation as you would call it, exposing the raw titanium beneath.

No snail trails are something like keys or coins that scratch through the bead blasted finish, or oxidation as you would call it, exposing the raw titanium beneath.

I’ve argued in the past that scratches show up as thin, straight lines on the titanium; and what are called “snail trails” are something else. They take the patterns of some kind of chemical exposure possibly found in the acidic sweat of a users hands. I’m no scientist, but I don’t believe they are scratches.

Snail trails are where the matte finish is smoothed over by something hard, not necessarily scratched, although it may appear that way.

It's possible that the edge chipping is the result of differential hardness caused by excess heat during sharpening at the factory. Years ago Benchmade had a long run of similar issues with S30V blades that was almost certainly caused by this. The edge chipping stopped after some of the edge had been removed by resharpening by hand. Possibly this is the same issue. Previous Spyderco S90V sprints did not produce reports of edge chipping like those here, IIRC.

It's just wear, surface abrasions and scratching. Unless the user is an alien who has some sort of extraordinarily corrosive sweat.

Reactions: P2P
It's possible that the edge chipping is the result of differential hardness caused by excess heat during sharpening at the factory. Years ago Benchmade had a long run of similar issues with S30V blades that was almost certainly caused by this. The edge chipping stopped after some of the edge had been removed by resharpening by hand. Possibly this is the same issue. Previous Spyderco S90V sprints did not produce reports of edge chipping like those here, IIRC.

It's just wear, surface abrasions and scratching. Unless the user is an alien who has some sort of extraordinarily corrosive sweat.

Possibly. But with this particular model, so far we've only heard/seen one knife with chipped edge. In this case, we don't know for how long the knife had been used, how it was sharpen at what degree, and exactly how the chipping happened, nor is the owner willing to share further information.

I've been using the s90v on the Millie to cut normal stuff up at work and there is not even a hint of chipping on my edge. Maybe it's just an isolated case. I don't cut anything hard, but do use it break down lots of double and triple wall cardboard.

I've been using the s90v on the Millie to cut normal stuff up at work and there is not even a hint of chipping on my edge. Maybe it's just an isolated case. I don't cut anything hard, but do use it break down lots of double and triple wall cardboard.

If the isolated case you're referring to is the post by ScooterG, I wouldn't count that.

Because:

- He won't post a full picture of the knife. (I have serious doubts it's even a military)
- He says it's "the factory edge" when it is CLEARLY not.
- When called out on it, he ghosted.

His post was trolling or just a flat out lie.

I’ve argued in the past that scratches show up as thin, straight lines on the titanium; and what are called “snail trails” are something else. They take the patterns of some kind of chemical exposure possibly found in the acidic sweat of a users hands. I’m no scientist, but I don’t believe they are scratches.

Since when do scratches have to be a straight line? o_O

Snail trails are most definitely a physical alteration of the finish. I can replicate them pretty easily just by shaking a knife around with some keys. A chemical reaction is it most definitely not.

Just test it for yourself and see. It's pretty easy to see they are either scratches, or areas where the rough finish has been burnished by a harder substance.

If the isolated case you're referring to is the post by ScooterG, I wouldn't count that.

Because:

- He won't post a full picture of the knife. (I have serious doubts it's even a military)
- He says it's "the factory edge" when it is CLEARLY not.
- When called out on it, he ghosted.

His post was trolling or just a flat out lie.

I couldn't make out a Military knife in the pic either.

I honestly had chipping on the factory edge. 5 chips in total. Sharpened out easy enough, and haven’t had a problem since. Been cutting anything I can get my hands on, and the S90V is doing great.

Back