Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

The seasons are upon us.

zCw2fW0.jpg

- Stuart
Nice Browning auto. I like the Queen Drake Well barlow too!

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

I'm taking this Savage 99E (1964) to friend's farm today to try out some new .308 Win. ammo. Along for the ride are a Crown Cutlery Coke bottle hunter (1916-1919) and a Michael Tison small folder (1979). Although the Savage's scars were honorably earned, I may need to try my hand at refinishing the furniture - or just spend that $$ on ammo.

CYYtJsX.jpg

- Stuart
You have some desirable firearms Stuart, thanks for showin' 'em. If I may... enjoy your 99 as is, those marks are memories. The temptation to restore is strong, resist if you can, let another generation decide on the refinish and definitely buy more ammo. :)

Last edited:
I'm taking this Savage 99E (1964) to friend's farm today to try out some new .308 Win. ammo. Along for the ride are a Crown Cutlery Coke bottle hunter (1916-1919) and a Michael Tison small folder (1979). Although the Savage's scars were honorably earned, I may need to try my hand at refinishing the furniture - or just spend that $$ on ammo.

CYYtJsX.jpg

- Stuart
One of my bucket list rifles for sure. Was at a gun show down in Bakersfield back in the spring. I located a pretty nice 99 in .243 and was really close to buying it BUT there was that Browning Mod 95 in .30-06 over there calling me. Its siren song was strong and I kept going back to look at it. Then I'd go back and look at the 99. Walked back over to the Mod 95 and the guy says make me an offer. I came in with a stupid low ball offer and he said that'll work. We were walking over to the table to do the paperwork and he says, you run cattle up in Tehachapi? I says yep. You make knives? I says yep. He was from Glenville a very small mountain ranching town in our county. He'd seen quite a few of my knives and his wife is the teacher at the local school. Several of her students wear em to school and would show them to her, kinda like the ole days everywhere else too. Anyhoo, last two gunshows that Savage 99 has still been there but I didn't have the cash. Maybe mid Nov it'll be mine. Specially if we have a good show next week!

Rip, my primary deer hunting handgun is almost the same as yours, and the most accurate revolver I've ever fired.

629ultradot_zpsvexoki5l.jpg

And my custom skinner from BluntCut (Luong La) in high hardness CTS-XHP stainless and Asian satinwood burl is a staple in deer camp.

LgKc2gU.jpg

Rip, my primary deer hunting handgun is almost the same as yours, and the most accurate revolver I've ever fired.

View attachment 1212940

And my custom skinner from BluntCut (Luong La) in high hardness CTS-XHP stainless and Asian satinwood burl is a staple in deer camp.

LgKc2gU.jpg
They are accurate. I used to get 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards and 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards off the bags. Like I say," used to". I shake to darn much now days.I am really liking your skinner.That's a very nice knife.

Thanks, Rip! I once fired a 2¾" 5-shot group at 75 yards with my handloaded 270 gr Speer Deep Curl over Accurate 4100 powder. MV was right around 1275 fps. As usual, the first four were in about an inch and a half, and then I pulled the last one. :(

Really beautiful gun and in an interesting bore/gauge:cool:
Lot of interesting guns in your arsenal :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

I used to have a Franchi International Trap over & under (12 Ga). Franchi makes very nice guns. Your knife is very interesting and beautiful.

Thanks, Will and Bill. I bought the 20 gauge Franchi to lighten my load while pheasant hunting, but it's become a rabbit gatherer, along with a 20 gauge Beretta AL-2 (1973-1975). Both are fun and better than I am.

Nice Browning auto. I like the Queen Drake Well barlow too!

Thanks, Bill. That's a Miroku made Browning 12 Magnum from 1987. It's a thumper, but I like taking it and a Remington 1100 12 gauge from 1979 to dove hunts to get my buddies talking about guns they've had. And thanks for the Queen nod.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

The scars are beauty marks. Spend $ on the ammo, keep her fed.

You have some desirable firearms Stuart, thanks for showin' 'em. If I may... enjoy your 99 as is, those marks are memories. The temptation to restore is strong, resist if you can, let another generation decide on the refinish and definitely buy more ammo. :)

One of my bucket list rifles for sure. Was at a gun show down in Bakersfield back in the spring. I located a pretty nice 99 in .243 and was really close to buying it BUT there was that Browning Mod 95 in .30-06 over there calling me. Its siren song was strong and I kept going back to look at it. Then I'd go back and look at the 99. Walked back over to the Mod 95 and the guy says make me an offer. I came in with a stupid low ball offer and he said that'll work. We were walking over to the table to do the paperwork and he says, you run cattle up in Tehachapi? I says yep. You make knives? I says yep. He was from Glenville a very small mountain ranching town in our county. He'd seen quite a few of my knives and his wife is the teacher at the local school. Several of her students wear em to school and would show them to her, kinda like the ole days everywhere else too. Anyhoo, last two gunshows that Savage 99 has still been there but I didn't have the cash. Maybe mid Nov it'll be mine. Specially if we have a good show next week!

Thanks, guys, and I'm content with leaving it "as is". It was owned by a fellow from out West (Wyoming, I think) who hunted elk with it on horseback hunts. It came as he hunted it: iron sights in a rugged leather saddle scabbard. I'm not changing a thing (though my last few sessions with iron sights give me pause). And I don't have a horse (sorry,Dave Horsewright Horsewright ).

- Stuart

Guess you could call this knife a Traditional also. My Dad carried it in WWII and he passed it on to me and I carried it on my first tour of duty in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. The rifle you see in the picture is my sniper rifle I used during my second tour of duty with the 82nd Airborne Division, a scoped out M-14. I qualified at 1000 meters with it during Sniper school at Fort Bragg between tours.The picture on the front of my helmet was just for the picture and is a picture of Jesus by the rock. It would have made to easy a target if left on the helmet.
Gp4jG2d.jpg

One of my favourite handguns ever. Shame I live in the UK nanny state..........
It's my favorite too. I have many handguns but the 1911 is the one I cut my teeth on,so to speak, and it has remained my favorite in all my years, especially the series 70. And though you can't see it, there is a 1911 in the picture of me in post 931. The barlow is one of my favorite patterns also.I can remember carrying one of them even when I was a kid.

image.jpg Colt frontier six shooter
44-40 that was produced in 1893.image.jpg. Bottom one is mine and was the first run after ww2 (1956) 45c. Pre war colts are too much money and too many variables for fakes. I bought the one piece walnut grips and dad fitted them to my firearm.

Last edited:
Not as old as willard0341 willard0341 contributed, but I picked up this Ruger Wrangler today. I have a Single Six from 1969 and another from the early 80’s, but the color on this one just sorta spoke to me so I thought why not. Cabelas points on my credit card left me to come up with $86 to walk out the door.

C16-F4-C47-36-C1-49-C5-80-E9-84-B9-A36056-A6.jpg

What an honor!
Not as old as willard0341 willard0341 contributed, but I picked up this Ruger Wrangler today. I have a Single Six from 1969 and another from the early 80’s, but the color on this one just sorta spoke to me so I thought why not. Cabelas points on my credit card left me to come up with $86 to walk out the door.

C16-F4-C47-36-C1-49-C5-80-E9-84-B9-A36056-A6.jpg
very nice! I like that color out of the 3 (?). I hope you have a quantity of cci quiets for a pleasant plinking experience. 85$ is a steal, thanks for posting it. I’ve looked at the new bearcats just can’t seem to part with the coin. Have a good weekend. Ode

Reactions: 315
Back