Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd, that slingshot is awesome. I'm sure there will be tons of interest. I've been wanting to give slingshots a try but never found anything I liked too.

Just pulled some ribs off the grill... yes JUST, after midnight. never too late for ribs is it?

Rhetorical question. My keyboard is already sticky.
Living in St. Louis does have one advantage. We have GREAT ribs shacks around that do then just as good as, and cheaper than making them at home. We have this place locally called Bogarts. Each time they go to Memphis in May, they win the whole hog division.

- and so have my friends. :)
This is what keeps me from getting a pick up. I don't want everyone to think that since I have a pick up, now they do too.

20140901_084302_zps6d8c815e.jpg
Nice nails! What color is that? Red Razzle Dazzle?

Nice slingshot too.

Yeah, I couldn't justify the knifemaker subscription when I'd stored making the liners. I still lurk a bit, but I guess I've just been too busy with life to keep up here.

Thanks, also WorldWood, things are good here. I've missed the Beckerhead shenanigans, lately, so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.
and the shenanigans have missed you!

Well, I'm not gonna lie. Today, I absolutely love the internet. I'm not really religious, but the events of today somewhat make me think of a benevolent internet god.
Story time?

Very cool Todd!!

You didnt like the Scout SS???

Ehh, I dont like the band. I've got about 8 or so slingshots now, and the ones I like best are the ones with the tubes. Plus there easier and cheaper to replace.

This is what keeps me from getting a pick up. I don't want everyone to think that since I have a pick up, now they do too.

I had the same problem when I drove my dad's pickup. All of a sudden everybody was my friend and wanted to go somewhere.

Uhhh... no. Sorry, you're flat wrong about that. You completely misread my post/intent. That's not at all what I meant.

Steel chemistry absolutely matters. It matters a great deal. One cannot polish a turd, nor can one drink whiskey from a bottle of wine. Likewise, no amount of HT "magic" can ever improve the inherent chemistry in any alloy.

For instance, there is a dang good reason Ka-Bar/Becker uses 1095CV instead of "plain" 1095, and why Buck generally uses 420HC instead of 420J... They're demonstrably better than the cheaper, easier-to-machine versions. Both companies have their HT dialed-in pretty well to reach the higher potential of the better materials they've selected.

Half-vast steel with good HT is "not terrible". 440A/420J/AUS-6 is half-vast steel when judged by today's standards for cutlery. It will work, for a while. Put it next to excellent steel with excellent HT and the same geometry, and it's gonna get blown out of the water.

I guess my question then would be what counts as "getting blown of the water." For something like a kitchen knife, I require it to cut well, and stay sharp for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what else is really necessary for those purposes, and I can say for a fact that my Cutco knives, despite daily use, stay sharper for longer than my Benchmade Nimravus under the same use, or my Spyderco Manix 2 in S30V. Or any of my Beckers, including the BK5. In my experience, 1095CV dulls fairly quickly on a cutting board, although I'll grant you that all of those blades have different edge geometries.

That's not to say that chemistry doesn't matter at all, or otherwise has no effect. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who knows a bit about blade steels who would disagree, and there's certainly a number of reasons why I prefer to use CPM 3V for my larger blades that have everything to do with chemistry. And one of the big issues with 440 in general is that it's not terrifically strong. My Cutco vegetable knife broke during the move (within the handle, interestingly enough), and I haven't gotten around to using the "Forever Guarantee" to have it replaced. It's not like it's terribly weak either though. I've put the cleaver to a number of rather difficult tasks, such as chopping up frozen chickens, etc. Beating on ice isn't exactly a forgiving task, and the cleaver, which is thicker and heavier, did just fine with that.

I think chemistry matters more when you're asking more from the knife, and I think it's a fallacy to say that any modern steel, done well, is anything remotely like a "turd." Cutco/Kabar's 440A does an excellent job with sharpness and edge retention. On those fronts, in my experience, it does at least as well as "better" steels such as S30V and 154CM. The only knife I have that clearly exceeds it on those fronts is M390, heat treated by Peters.

I would never want a 440 sword, of course. There are better steels for that. But there's a tradeoff. There are no steels which give you perfect toughness, sharpness, edge retention, rust prevention, ease of sharpening, etc. Of course there's a reason that Kabar uses 1095CV, which I think have a lot more to do with the affordability and toughness inherent in the steel than in the nebulous "betterness" of the steel over 440A. Better for the intended uses of a field or camp knife? Sure. But by the same token, there's also several reasons why Kabar/Cutco doesn't use 1095CV for its kitchen knives, and I think we can rest assured that if 1095CV were a "better" steel without question, they would.

I'd be surprised to find out that, given Kabar's heat treat in both cases, that a 1095CV chef knife would "blow out of the water" their 440A for the usual purposes of kitchen knives. That's not to say that there aren't better steels for kitchen knife purposes. But I'd also bet that your average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference, which would make that "betterness" rather subjective. I suppose I shouldn't say that steel chemistry doesn't matter. However, I would definitely say that it's fairly close to negligible when compared to the quality of the heat treat. Fub the heat treat, and it doesn't matter how great your steel chemistry is. Similarly, it's dependent upon your desired tasks. Choose the wrong steel for the task, and it's going to be inferior, no matter how great it might be in another setting. That says to me that chemistry is inherently subjective in context of quality, where heat treat is not. YMMV.

Crimson,

A Cutco Rep posted in the thread about the 440A.. But his first posts was deleted.. By a mod no doubt.. I wish i would of saved the info now though... But he did say it (basically) required more sharpening and touching up.

Im not great at sharpening, and i dont have fancy sharpening stones and gadgets..... So i try and chose steels that will stay sharp for extended periods of time... Hence why i love me some 52100!!

But Crimson if your saying 440A holds its edge as good as 154cm and S30V it sounds like you have better luck than most people because every one of my searches finds almost the opposite information.

Even when it comes to 1095 this is basically what im seeing "440 stainless is a softer steel then 1095 carbon, making it easier to sharpen, but dulls quicker too"

Now i have not worked with 440, so i have no experience, and really i have no dog in this fight at all... I just love learning more about steels so i keep reading every time i find conflicting information.

Carbon steel will dull just sitting around if the edge is not coated with something. Kitchen stainless tends to run very hard and have huge carbides, but microchips like crazy.

Ehh, I dont like the band. I've got about 8 or so slingshots now, and the ones I like best are the ones with the tubes. Plus there easier and cheaper to replace.

Oh, ok just curious bud.

You can replace the band on the scout and use the tubes if you wanted though, They make the scout so it can use almost any type of bands even the tubes... just a thought.

Bladeforums is running in super slow motion for me today. Not sure what the dealio is.

Well there are real SUV's Big Red hauls my 4 kids around, its been up Ethans mountain. It tows plenty and has moved us and several friends. Six adults fit in it comfortably and the mileage isnt even terrible. It also is getting close to 200k miles and still runs and drives like new.

Hauls my Jeep around the mountains

Hauls !066viks tractor around

So yeah there are real SUV's and they dont suck

I would say that that is a real SUV, but I'd still prefer a solid front axle and manual hubs. And more ground clearance.

Let's just say that you'd google "Jennifer Lawrence" and limit your search to the last 24 hours.

There's a lot more than just Jennifer Lawrence...

I was doing the same on the couch.

I'm ready for cool weather to show up for the option of the outdoor, afternoon nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back