Uncle Bill Is Gone

There are prayers going up in many languages and dialects to welcome Bill to his new home. I humbly offer mine.

Thanks for letting us know, Rusty.

Uncle Bill...You added light to my world. You were one of the few people that could give me words of peace years ago when I was foundering. You helped me make it through. You set an example I will never forget. I will miss you, but I would not want to hold you here, and I am so thankful your pain is gone.

Yangdu...we're here. Thanks for sharing him with us. Let us know how we can help.

John Shirley

I recall Bill said on several occasions that he was ready, he wasn't afraid and he had made peace with everybody. In Buddhism, that is the best place to be.

I know he is happy now that he has made the journey to the other side. I am glad that I have known him. In many ways, I have benefited from our friendship.

Bill is one of the nicest guys in the forums. Those of us who have befriended him and know him intimately have only respect for him.

He has definitely left this world a better place and all of us have profited from knowing him. I shall miss him very much.

The light has dimmed slightly in this place but Bill would not want it that way. He would want it brightened again because that's the kind of guy he was.

Till all of us joined him on the other side, my prayers are now reaching him on the far side of beyond to thank him for being our friend during his time on earth.

What a great guy!

I didn't know 'Uncle Bill' personally but he made me feel calm. Thank you sir!

Words fail me. I know Uncle Bill was sick, and I knew this day would eventually come, but part of me felt that he'd make it past this. He's been doing it so long, I thought he'd always be around.

He was one of the best and he will be missed.

Uncle, I am glad that the hard fight is over. Have peace my friend. I miss you already. Even though we were of different faiths, you taught me much. Many things that I only proclaimed as truths I saw you put into action.

Yangdu, for you I pray for comfort and strength. Your loss is far greater than ours.

God Bless,

Steve Miller

This is a sad day. You know how they stop the clock when the master of the house dies. Bill's forum posting clock has stopped today. His posting record is: Posts: 34,062. He will indeed leave a gulf here.

Smoke and prayers for uncle's onward journey;and yangdu.
What to feel,I don't know. Al

Although I never met Uncle Bill personally, he sparked something inside that I can't put into words. My deepest sympathy to Yangdu and family. This poem is normally used at Navy retirements, however I feel it is appropiate as Uncle Bill was a sailor. Uncle Bill we all miss you allready and will see you again someday. Uncle Bill, we have the watch.

The Watch
For twenty years,
This sailor has stood the watch
While some of us were in our bunks at night,
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade,
This shipmate stood the watch

Yes...even before some of us were born into this world,

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen
brewing on the horizon of history,

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there,
Needing his guidance and help,
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times,
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years,
He stood the watch so that we, our families,
And our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety,
Each and every night,
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say:
"Shipmate...the watch stands relieved.
Relieved by those YOU have trained, guided, and lead
Shipmate you stand relieved...we have the watch!"

James

I’ve been away from the Cantina this past few months, but I just needed to enter the Forum tonight and… it’s difficult to type when it hurts inside…

Una oración por Tio Bill, que en estos momentos se encuentra con el Gran Arquitecto del Universo. Y una Oración para Yangdu, quien nunca estará sola, porque todos nosotros estaremos con ella.

(A Prayer for Uncle Bill, who is right now with the Great Architect of the Universe. And a Prayer for Yangdu, who will never be alone, because all of us will be with her.)

Jose M. Vicente
San Juan, Puerto Rico

I haven't been on the forums much at all the last several months, but I checked here on a regular basis to see how Uncle was doing. I figured I'd take a quick peek just before going to bed tonight, hoping for good news. I'm going to have a hell of a time sleeping now. I'm doing my best not to cry, but it's not working very well at the moment.

My sympathies go out to Yangdu in particular of course, but also to everyone that he touched throughout his life. And that's a whole lot of people, from all over the world.

You did a fine job in this life, Uncle Bill. I hope you do come back, because the world can sure use more people like you.

Carl Holomshek

shocked to hear this news. Although Uncle Bill was gone, his spirit/soul will be with us forever. I miss you, Uncle Bill.

Can we do something for Yangdu?

We Love you Uncle Bill.
Thank you for sharing yourself with us.
We will all try to carry ourselves the way you taught us to.

Personally, I hope we can all pull together and keep the Blessings to and from Birghorka flowing for a long time to come.

I am very sorry, but not completely surprised. Pain is not something you should wake up to every day. God is mercy.

Im verry sorry Yangdu. Please let us help you if we can.

-Danny Fletcher
Noda, Japan

The sign of his greatness will be seen with the wake he leaves behind.

:(

Like many others, I don't know what to say. I knew Uncle Bill was sick, but I didn't expect he would pass so soon. My wife and I had hoped to get to travel to Reno to meet him in person, but it seems we have not been quick enough.

It is comforting to know that he was at peace with the world, but it is difficult for those of us who remain in it - particularly Yangdu.

Yangdu - please let me know if I can do anything for you.

Uncle Bill - may fair winds carry you to your home, and may your beer mug always be overflowing.

--B.

I mourn Yangdu's and our loss, and I'm glad to have at least brushed against an inspiring life. I'm grateful to have seen such a high water mark for what we can do with our lives if we let ourselves.

I am very sad to learn of Bill's passing but confident that he is in a better place and free from suffering. Prayers and positive thoughts for Yangdu and his other loved ones for strength and peace.

Back