We were all new here once

As a knife nut from Young....i still Pity the knife i lost out out the sheat when i was around 13...i am happy to find other nuts am 53 now and still buy simple knifes so nothing fancy! Even stuff from China who are somethimes even reasonably quality simply cause certain knives are forbidden here and I still can order them from there. Never carry a knife outside due to strict rules about that though minor aged thugs don't really care for that just love the shape of knives!!

Nevermind

Thought about the nevermind and decided to go ahead and give an opinion.

We beginners are kind of cursed with a combination of newfound enthusiasm, thirst for knowledge, and profound ignorance. This can make our posts targets for occasional ridicule. We know we'll invite slings and arrows but we risk it anyway because we have a burning question or comment. It's not that we haven't done research - we have, it's just that we still don't quite get it. Thus the "dumb" questions or comments.

Patience with us will not hurt - very much. And we'll really appreciate it. I think it will pay off for all parties in the end :)

It can be difficult to use the forum search function and get the results you're looking for, but try Googling this (without the quotes): "Bladeforums and the question on your mind", and you'll likely find the most relevant thread(s) at or near the top of the Google search results page. Despite being still a very fresh maker, I don't ask many questions here because this method usually leads me to a thread or threads with all the info I need to get past my sticking point, whatever it may be at that time. Anyone who can think of a question can (and should, if I may be so bold) do the same thing, and should easily find lots of info to get them more than started.

We beginners are kind of cursed with a combination of newfound enthusiasm, thirst for knowledge, and profound ignorance. This can make our posts targets for occasional ridicule. We know we'll invite slings and arrows but we risk it anyway because we have a burning question or comment. It's not that we haven't done research - we have, it's just that we still don't quite get it. Thus the "dumb" questions or comments.

Patience with us will not hurt - very much. And we'll really appreciate it. I think it will pay off for all parties in the end :)

Well said :thumbsup:.

I'm glad you chose to post your thoughts. There was a time when I was reluctant to post my thoughts and opinions on this forum, but I got over it. There will be times when people will agree with you, and some when they won't, but I think that all genuine and thoughtful opinions are valid, and have value here. And I'm confident that many on this forum would agree with that.

I originally hesitated to start this thread, I expected a lot of negative responses, but it turned out to be just the opposite, and the responses have been very positive. Now it's a "sticky" with over 1200 posts, and over half a million views over 7 years, and it's still going strong.

Welcome to Bladeforums Scott, and welcome to all new members :).

It can be difficult to use the forum search function and get the results you're looking for, but try Googling this (without the quotes): "Bladeforums and the question on your mind", and you'll likely find the most relevant thread(s) at or near the top of the Google search results page. Despite being still a very fresh maker, I don't ask many questions here because this method usually leads me to a thread or threads with all the info I need to get past my sticking point, whatever it may be at that time. Anyone who can think of a question can (and should, if I may be so bold) do the same thing, and should easily find lots of info to get them more than started.

I agree, googling a question like you described does seem to work better then an internal search of BF. Actually googling about blade steels about a year ago was how I discovered BF in the first place. A bunch of great BF topics on steel were at the top of the search.

I'm glad you chose to post your thoughts. There was a time when I was reluctant to post my thoughts and opinions on this forum, but I got over it. There will be times when people will agree with you, and some when they won't, but I think that all genuine and thoughtful opinions are valid, and have value here. And I'm confident that many on this forum would agree with that.

I originally hesitated to start this thread, I expected a lot of negative responses, but it turned out to be just the opposite, and the responses have been very positive. Now it's a "sticky" with over 1200 posts, and over half a million views over 7 years, and it's still going strong.

Thanks killgar! And thanks too for starting this great and long running thread that was bound for sticky status :) !!

Nevermind

S Scott Hemleben -welcome
K killgar -Bravo for this thread

I was a newcomer here almost 2 years ago, some notable & senior members welcomed me very warmly, even posted my pics from imgur which were not visible, guided/directed me to start the thread “To Practice Posting Pics Here” in Q&A section,,
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/to-practice-posting-pics-here.1585101/

That friendly and loving this BF is.
Enjoy your time,
Cheers,
Aryan.

Last edited:

I was a new comer almost 2 years ago, some notable & senior members welcomed me very warmly, even posted my pics from imgur which were not visible, guided/directed me to start the thread “To Practice Posting Pics Here” in Q&A section,,

Enjoy your time,
Cheers,
Aryan.

Thanks Aryan for the welcome and the link to your helpful thread. Very informative!

I was a new comer almost 2 years ago, some notable & senior members welcomed me very warmly, even posted my pics from imgur which were not visible, guided/directed me to start the thread “To Practice Posting Pics Here” in Q&A section,,

Enjoy your time,
Cheers,
Aryan.
Arian29 Arian29 , excellent post my friend, and quite fitting for a #1000 post too. A truly outstanding summery of the membership quality that is represented here, and I too have had the pleasure to meet.

Arian29 Arian29 , excellent post my friend, and quite fitting for a #1000 post too. A truly outstanding summery of the membership quality that is represented here, and I too have had the pleasure to meet.
Retired UPS Driver Retired UPS Driver
Thanks for your kind words, we do get to meet some good people here at BF, with so much collective knowledge of knife info, and the treasure trove of knives.
Aryan :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Hello from Poland.
I hope to increase my knowledge of knives and meet new interesting acquaintances.
In rematch I will gladly share photos of my blades and outdoor activities.

Not sure if I've been on this forum long enough to issue an official welcome to a newbie like myself, but I'll do it anyway. Welcome aboard from Poland! There is a wealth of information about knifes here. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Been reading various threads here for a couple of months now since I started a collection. Some of the older threads are great, just too bad the pictures are mostly deleted. I've already bought a couple blades I thought were great at the time and now I feel like giving them away. I'm glad I didn't start posting on here until today because I would have embarrassed myself with with the the lack of knowledge I had a short time ago. I will still probably embarrass myself though, since I'm a cheapskate on a budget.

Been reading various threads here for a couple of months now since I started a collection. Some of the older threads are great, just too bad the pictures are mostly deleted. I've already bought a couple blades I thought were great at the time and now I feel like giving them away. I'm glad I didn't start posting on here until today because I would have embarrassed myself with with the the lack of knowledge I had a short time ago. I will still probably embarrass myself though, since I'm a cheapskate on a budget.
Welcome, you got to start somewhere, so you might as well start here with the best. Please don’t be intimidated by some of the picture quality and the knives themselves. Nobody started out with a vast collection unless it was inherited or gifted to them. Collect what you like and will use, as you will always be finding something better that you can’t afford, just like in cars or houses, haha. You will learn pretty quick what you spend money on if it’s junk, that by the time you buy 3-4 you could have bought a real nice piece you would be proud to show off and even better, probably last you your life. Ask questions and jump in conversations, you will find yourself immersed in no time and learning something new each day. You will also make some very good friends here too, that’s the icing on the cake.

Don’t be afraid to upgrade your membership to gold, cost $30/year. That lets you buy and sell, gives you access to some controlled areas, let’s you send and receive private messages, and best of all you can directly post photos/pictures directly to your posts, versus having to use a hosting site with link copying. It’s well worth it to upgrade.

Once again, welcome!

Hello all, thanks for having me! I'm from western Europe and I live smack on the former "Battle of the Bulge" battlefield. I've been a sucker for knives since my early childhood, but I wouldn't call myself a collector, maybe with the exception of WWII US knives. For me knives are foremost tools. I signed up on this forum to learn a little bit more about US knifemakers.

My interests, listed in order of importance and time allocated, are:
  • WWII history, focusing on the US Army and the "Battler of the Bulge"
  • Collecting firearms, WWI & WWII US army small arms as well as modern military small arms
  • Collecting WWII US Army militaria
  • Buying knives
Cheers

tom

Welcome to BF.
It’s a great place to learn about knives, and make contact with knife-people. Gaining knowledge here is a continuous work in progress. :thumbsup:

Aryan

Last edited:
Back