What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of funny and interesting stuff here, people.

My first thought was how much time and energy some of us put into taking pics of our knives. Myself included, of course. It's like a quest for the "perfect" image. And the last one I took is often my most favorite... until the next one. In the end, I imagine, they're all perfect enough.

Thats another great pic, L2D

[video=youtube;iDYBL70eReo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYBL70eReo[/video]

Everything about the knife community makes me laugh. I don't even really like knives. I just come here to laugh at you freaks.;)

:D

And the butthurt starting to well up in it! :) Cant be stopped. You can just feel it bubbling.

Always funny stuff.

listeningfortrain.jpg

The people in W&C make me laugh.

Where to begin? I will caveat my reply with the admission that I am guilty as charged with regard to some of these quirks.

- A majority of knives I see listed for sale look brand new and are advertised as "only carried a few times and never used". This is especially true of the "tough use knives" that are aggressively marketed.

- Insisting that only knife brand X is sufficient enough to carry out a task and that all others are inferior.

- How a $50 knife can be perfectly centered, have a vault-like lock-up, smooth opener and slice like a razor, but a $400 knife routinely can be off-center, have blade play and other QC issues yet be highly regarded.

- Knives that are marketed by and for so called warriors and self-proclaimed bad asses. What's funnier are the legions who follow said maker.

- When someone takes offense at someone else who doesn't like brand X...that person will defend brand X to the death with unrivaled loyalty.

- Complaining about knives that weight more than 3 or 4 ounces for EDC. Apparently one extra ounce puts it way over the top and it is too heavy. Never mind that they carry a crap load of other gadgets in their pockets that could weigh down a mule.

- People who insist they must have military grade gear such as $300+ jumpable packs, 1000 lumen flashlights, and fleece jackets that cost hundreds of dollars in order to feel confident they are ready for anything. Though they never hike in the woods, don't venture into bad neighborhoods on foot, and have never seen combat, nor with they ever. But somehow that inferior $60 backpack just won't do the job.

- One thing I've noticed on some knife related sites (not necessarily this one) is how thin-skinned their members can be. They are easily offended and at times read into your post just to find something to be offended by, and then the confrontation or tongue lashing begins. For a bunch of so-called bad asses, they sure are a sensitive bunch. Sort of like a cyber version of an old west saloon where the prickly gunfighter says "you callin' me a liar?!" just before the duel to the death.

- Native Americans used knives and arrows made from rocks and somehow took down buffalo, angry bears and cowboys with guns, yet the knife that doesn't have the latest super steel, or isn't made by brand X will inevitably fail under "hard use".

Last edited:
Members who knock other members for posting a pic of a new-looking knife, but failing to realize that the knife pictured is actually a newly-acquired knife LOL :D

I've had that happen to me a few times lol.. Most of my glamour shots come within the first week of ownership.. Usually because it's new and exciting, pics tend to slow down and stop after that and then get reused.

Some food for thought ;)

What makes me laugh is always:

1.) individuals who think they "know it all"
2.) knife snobbs
3.) fanatics
4.) people who are not able to accept different point of view and have constant need to attack others for their views and opinions

Most traditionals are all busines ( they may have jigged scales or patterned bolster, but it just adds grip ). a real good example is spyderco which has the wide blade shape , it's not pointless though as it makes room for the highly some yet functional thumb hole .

Most traditionals are all busines ( they may have jigged scales or patterned bolster, but it just adds grip ). a real good example is spyderco which has the wide blade shape , it's not pointless though as it makes room for the highly some yet functional thumb hole .

What's "all business" about that acorn other than to be something that'll fall off, get lost, and leave an awkward hole in the scale?

A wider blade will add strength to a narrow cross section.

This thread.

And the butthurt starting to well up in it! :) Cant be stopped. You can just feel it bubbling.
Always funny stuff.

I started feeling that bubblin' butthurt in earnest as early as the second page. Some folks took their stereotypin' all graceful-like but you could tell some of the sticks-up-asses set were starting to fume some.

Give it another page before there's some sort of all-out war poppin' off.

It was a punch line to a joke (you don't need to reply to tell me it wasn't funny). Might make more sense in context of the alleged set-up:

A knife is a knife, and it doesn't a need weird shape to look good. Not one single thing on a knife should be pointless.

GEDC5319.jpg

Last edited:
What tickles you about the knife obsessed? I'll sit on the couch and open and close my expensive overbuilt squeaky folder with lock stick while you reply...

I like to do that too by the way. What tickles me is that many of us are obsessed with getting the next knife because we hope it's better than what we already have. It doesn't matter if you use it or not. (Opening and closing a folder is not using it. :D ) I just face reality, if I want a new knife, I don't make flimsy excuses to justify it to myself. I just want it.

With that said, I will go back and start to read through the responses and there are many.

I like that picture. Reminds me of me when I have looked down the barrel of a rifle or handgun. Looks really funny and a bit stupid. I suspect many of us do the same thing one time or another after checking to see that the gun is unloaded.

Being obsessed with knives and not really knowing it.... I bought enough knives in the last week to last me the rest of my life and then probably somebody else's life (but only if you are not obsessed. :rolleyes:

I used to tell myself I was on the search for "the perfect knife" but I've either abandoned that or just accepted that I really like having a bunch of new knives all the time. It's like a small post office in my bedroom with all the flatrate boxes and shipping materials...

Ha! Well said, brother! I've sold far more than I still own... And I'm still looking for my next one...

What's "all business" about that acorn other than to be something that'll fall off, get lost, and leave an awkward hole in the scale?

A wider blade will add strength to a narrow cross section.

Yeah, a wider blade is better cuz it's stronger in cross section? Always? Why don't you use your thumb instead of your pinky to dig out a really well stuck piece of dried up snot in your nose. The thumb is stronger but it won't fit in there to get that booger that's high and tight. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back