What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father refused to buy any Japanese product after WWII. He was not happy when I purchased a Toyota. I agree with what you said. It comes down to cost and perceived value for 90% of Americans. Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

My grandpa has told me the only thing the Japanese know how to make are electronics and precise instruments like dial calipers. I doubt the Japanese town of usa helped their reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch and release... You just spent $xxx on a knife and aren't even going to take some time to live with it before selling it?

It may be buyers remorse getting the better of them, but there's no way I can get an accurate understanding of a blade and have it still be "lnib".

Catch and release... You just spent $xxx on a knife and aren't even going to take some time to live with it before selling it?

It may be buyers remorse getting the better of them, but there's no way I can get an accurate understanding of a blade and have it still be "lnib".

I am guilty of using this. Only mine come from trades. Sometimes a knife feels wrong right away. It might be the looks of the knife, ergonomics, who knows what that turns me off. I rarely keep something I won't use.

Unboxing videos , or "reviews" of a knife you just got in the mail.

The pocket jewelry type, I believe in taking care of your stuff ,but buying a how ever expensive knife and refusing to use it when it had the latest and greatest steel is ridiculous for me , if you want to play with knives get a frigging trainer or something .

Same guys that buy these hard use over built folders and cry and whine that the screw has a tiny scratch or there's a blemish on the knife somewhere that can only be seem under magnification.

"My knife came dull" , so sharpen it .

"LNIB" only used to cut paper ,I have no idea how the edge got rolled , the lock is played out and the blade is rusted it came this way, only taken out for pics .

"Knife is razor sharp" barely cuts printer paper , please look up and study actual razor sharp before you claim your knife is razor sharp.

"Failed after spine whacks " " piece of junk failed after I hammered the tip into hardwood and jerked it as hard I could " .

Xxx company is garbage! I spine whacked my folder 50 times , threw it at a tree , then took the blade to a grinder and xxx refuses to give me a free replacement!

Thats another great pic, L2D

[video=youtube;iDYBL70eReo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYBL70eReo[/video]

Thanks, buddy! And, you read my mind, brother, because that is the exact scene that I was thinking about. Love that movie.

Three men walk into a bar. The first one is an overweight Emerson-carrying mercenary. The next man wears a pocket protecter, sports thick glasses, and carries an Sypderco. Then a bearded Busse paranoid prepper walks in . . .

People EDC'ing a Medford for their white-collar office job, or 3+ knives while they run errands around suburbia. Not judging or hating, and I'm fine with anyone who is self-aware enough to understand that their actions are entirely driven by their hobbies, but the weekend operators who load up on extra gear "just in case" or because of a "two and one and one is none" for a trip to Chipotle..... well, that whole philosophy is just inherently kind of hilarious. I grew up in the country, and a lot of the knife bling I see wouldn't even be practical if I was living on the farm with no access to power tools or electricity.

Last edited:
What's your smoothest knife? If a knife is over 10$ it needs to be glass smooooth. Such a ripoff, so not smoother than my ZT. Benchmades aren't as smoooth as my ZT's, they are a rip.

Everything should be on KVT bearings because it's soo smooooth. KVT should be mandatory over the 100$ range because it's sooooo smooooth...

People who broadcast the news of their acquisition of a rare or interesting blade or an unbelievable problem and steadfastly refuse to take pictures.

When everyone is awaiting for a specific model to be released, that the manufacturer has put a lot of time and effort into.
Once released,ohh only if it had a black spacer or ZDP steel then I'd be all over it.
Or oh man,they should make it with VG10 and frn handles then more people would buy it!
This must frustrate the heck out of the developers.

Allow me to add to the irony of sharing my opinion as certain people have been called out here (through opinions) for being "Opinionated." :D

27607482045_7a13ed2824_b.jpg
[/url]31a by https://www.flickr.com/photos/142991420@N04/[/IMG]
Real knives are allowed to be works of art too. I think a lot of fellows display or model their vintage and custom cars, but I could be wrong. Same goes for guns and many other functioning objects.

I guess I need to answer the OP more directly so here it is: It makes me laugh when a man suggests to another man he ought to handle his stick the way he handles his. If there was an ounce of truth behind this philosophy, then there wouldn't be any affairs. :p

Disclaimer: I use my knives every day because I like to slice objects rather than push through them. Just used my True Saber to cut up orange bell pepper and lamb chops seared to perfection.

My lock sticks and my thumb hurts, I spent all night flipping my ninja slayer but I only use it to open mail.

Mick strider ,Greg Medford

Xxxx is so stupid for spending xxx on that knife . Even though it's your money that you worked for, I feel the need to tell you how dumb you are for spending it on xxx knife because my mtech cuts just as well.

My blades 2cms off center . I feel like lying down and dying my life is over !

If I grab my blade and wiggle really really really hard I have blade play , if I barely wiggle no play but if I make it have play it's there .

Dulled my piece of junk spyderco on nothing but cardboard ! I swear it was only cardboard ! Sal reply...UMM hey buddy we got your knife ,that huge chunk missing from the blade is the same size as a staple so umm yeah..Well the box had staples in it but I didn't hit them I swear !

ImarcoU mind editing that profanity supposed to be family friendly ,I have kids peaking at my screen.

1. I die when I see another knife video with a guy with bandages all over his hands.

^ You've been a member here for 6 long years with 17 posts to your credit...

I've only read the first 3 responses & plan on reading this thread in entirety (the posts I can see anyway).

Brilliant thread subject!!! :thumbup::thumbup:
2. Extended discussion of steels that I doubt anyone can really tell apart. S35VN apparently "sucks". Really?

3. I'm beginning to think that Chris Reeve, Rick Hinderer, and Greg Medford are pretty much the same guy. Brash, opinionated, and surly seems to result in great knives. Medford's videos take this to a whole new level of hilarity.

4. I've mentioned this before but blade/handle ratio is apparently an important attribute...no idea why.

5. Wow, there sure are a lot of companies whose products are "mostly used by operators". Those special forces guys must be dripping with knives.

What tickles you about the knife obsessed? I'll sit on the couch and open and close my expensive overbuilt squeaky folder with lock stick while you reply...

OP: 6 years & 17 posts tenure, here on this forum.

I would like to commend you on such a brilliant thread topic! And I've only read the first 2 comments! :thumbup:

Your average enlisted man ain't able to afford a "proper tactical" knife. Lulz.

Isn't that the truth, CM! :thumbup: On the other hand, you should see some of the goodies that our Defense Military budget was/is giving some of our operator/advisor's over in the PI.

When I wss an enlisted man, I carried ied a Swiss Army Knife, and I wasn't even in the Swiss Army.

^ I never knew that you were an enlisted man, Esav. :thumbup: Thank you very much for your service! :thumbup:

To be continued...

I'm consistently amused by the hissy-fits that get thrown by grown-ass men on this forum, and I'm guilty of it myself! I used to think that it would be neat to have a "Knife Guy Lounge" as a physical location, but I've had to strongly reconsider the notion of combining sharp things and passionate, sometimes extremely childish enthusiasts in close quarters.

Medford knives make me lol hard. Nobody really needs a knife thick enough to be a prybar.

For most edc tasks, 90% of people only need a large SAK blade. My SAK Pioneer cuts better than my $500 Sebenza for most things I do in a day simply because of its thinness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back