Whatcha got on order ?

I scored a nice Mitchell 300 spinning reel with an extra spool and it's plastic storage container off Ebay.

I've decided I'm going to start finding more time to go fishing and I needed a new reel because my old Daiwa was acting up on me this weekend
It's not a model that's easy to replace nor can I get the replacement parts it needs, so it's time to retire it.

I knew I wanted a bombproof simple reel that's easy to service, and has parts support should it need it.
The first thing that came to mind was the classic Mitchell 300 so I went looking on Ebay and found exactly what I wanted, got it for $33 shipped and you just can't beat that for a lifetime reel.

I know they don't have tons of ball bearings or a high gear ratio, they also don't have the infinite anti reverse bearing that's pretty much standard these days but that's okay.

It's an old clicker but that's what I had as a kid and I don't mind it, I also tend to prefer the slower retrieve of these older designs.

Last edited:
No school like the old school! Nice score.
I have a similar but not identical reel from my father’s old tackle box.
It’s what I’ve been using this summer.

These are still popular with casual weekend fishermen for good reason.

Modern reels are great, but the one thing I think the old reels did much better was the bail mechanism.
The old exposed catch and trip lever kicks the bail over much more easily than the modern mechanism does and I can't imagine why this was ever done away with.

Last edited:
Currently my only spinning rods over 6" are one piece which are annoying to transport, so I went looking for something that comes apart.
The modern technology available in rods and reels today is great and I definitely appreciate it, but I hate plastic reel seats that like to break.

Long story short I found this almost mint eagle claw trailmaster on Ebay and it reminded me of the eagle claw rod my grandfather had so I bought it.

Again for me the decision came down to the quality of materials you get for your money compared to something new.

Hopefully it arrives before the next fishing trip.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel The Mitchell 300 is certainly a classic. :D My Dad used one when I was a kid. When he died, nobody wanted the equipment. It went into a dumpster. When I could afford a "real fishing rod/outfit" as a young teen, I bought a Mitchell 308 reel and a Garcia fiberglass rod. That was my first "good" reel. I suspect I still have the reel and probably the rod but it has been long retired. I use a Shimano Stradic 1000 (several different versions) that I use with graphite rods (generally the Tennessee handle). Hard to find light action rods with that handle these days. I prefer a light action rod to ultra-light (stiff butt with flexible tip). The 1000 size is their smallest open face spinning reel. I have a Stradic 2500 to use on "big water".

Hope you enjoy your Mitchell 300. What breaks on them is the bale spring. If you do much fishing, I would suggest you acquire a couple spares. They aren't expensive.

Ordered a pair of Durango casual low boots to wear with jeans or something like that. Never owned anything made by them.

Last edited:
Hickory n steel Hickory n steel The Mitchell 300 is certainly a classic. :D My Dad used one when I was a kid. When he died, nobody wanted the equipment. It went into a dumpster. When I could afford a "real fishing rod/outfit" as a young teen, I bought a Mitchell 308 reel and a Garcia fiberglass rod. That was my first "good" reel. I suspect I still have the reel and probably the rod but it has been long retired. I use a Shimano Stradic 1000 (several different versions) that I use with graphite rods (generally the Tennessee handle). Hard to find light action rods with that handle these days. I prefer a light action rod to ultra-light (stiff butt with flexible tip). The 1000 size is their smallest open face spinning reel. I have a Stradic 2500 to use on "big water".

Hope you enjoy your Mitchell 300. What breaks on them is the bale spring. If you do much fishing, I would suggest you acquire a couple spares. They aren't expensive.

Ordered a pair of Durango casual low boots to wear with jeans or something like that. Never owned anything made by them.
Got it in and serviced it after work yesterday, serial number puts it at 1963.
It was actually working just fine when it arrived, but I found it full of sand and some corrosion when I opened it up.
I never would have suspected such a condition inside considering how it was running, but regardless it's certainly much smoother now.
It's a really quiet clicker too, definitely pleasant as it means I don't necessarily have to turn the anti reverse off.

Earlier today I realized the handle arm was bent and like a fool I tried to fix it, snap it went :mad:
Found an original replacement on Ebay for a reasonable price, now I'm into this for a grand total of $50 all said and done which I still find to be reasonable.

Last edited:
Somebody probably stood on the handle while it was in some sort of bag. As far as the choice and the money, as long as you're happy, I'm happy!

I use a Shimano Stradic 1000 (several different versions) that I use with graphite rods (generally the Tennessee handle)

How tight does that friction fit Tennessee handle hold a reel ?
I could see it being a great system if you've got metal rings.

Somebody probably stood on the handle while it was in some sort of bag. As far as the choice and the money, as long as you're happy, I'm happy!

Maybe, it was bent in more than one place so they probably also tried to straighten it out or at least get it pointed in the right direction.

It holds the reel well enough. On occasion the reel will fall off, but it isn't often. I have been known to use some electrician's tape but usually end up taking it off. I like the reel to sit way back on the rod pretty much beneath my hand when I'm casting. The Tennessee handle allows for that. I fish mostly for trout so generally I am not talking about really large fish. Anything over 16 inches is huge to me. I do a lot of lob casting on streams versus winding up overhand. That works on lakes and rivers, but not well with trees and so forth above you.

1963... wow. That was about the age of my Dad's Mitchell 300. I thought it the ultimate spinning reel back then. When I had the money to buy, I wanted something with a faster retrieve ratio. What I didn't take into account years ago was the larger spool of the 300 which equates to more line per turn. I still forget about this as I tend to like smaller reels (but not tiny). Big fish = big reels (for strength).

Last edited:
When I had the money to buy, I wanted something with a faster retrieve ratio.

That's what my brother prefers, but I have found the slower retrieve to be great with crankbaits and swim baits when fishing small ponds for bluegill and smallmouth bass.

I have a rod with a broken reel seat around somewhere, I may have to try making a Tennessee handle style rod with it just to try this out.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel That is a good historical video. Of course, graphite rods are much better overall. I do the flipping thing a lot by the way. That is why I like a fast tip. But I don't like all the bending of the rod back closer to the handle.

If I mounted a reel on that rod in the video, I would place it about a hand width forward of the end and see how it feels. You can always move things around.

Last edited:
I scored a nice Mitchell 300 spinning reel with an extra spool and it's plastic storage container off Ebay.

I've decided I'm going to start finding more time to go fishing and I needed a new reel because my old Daiwa was acting up on me this weekend
It's not a model that's easy to replace nor can I get the replacement parts it needs, so it's time to retire it.

I knew I wanted a bombproof simple reel that's easy to service, and has parts support should it need it.
The first thing that came to mind was the classic Mitchell 300 so I went looking on Ebay and found exactly what I wanted, got it for $33 shipped and you just can't beat that for a lifetime reel.

I know they don't have tons of ball bearings or a high gear ratio, they also don't have the infinite anti reverse bearing that's pretty much standard these days but that's okay.

It's an old clicker but that's what I had as a kid and I don't mind it, I also tend to prefer the slower retrieve of these older designs.

Great pick up! I use my old 300 my Mom found at a garage sale several years ago for $7, with a rod. I’ve replaced the rod with an 8 foot that I use for Kokanee, trout and even Salmon. It’s long enough to be limber for the Kokanee, but stout enough to reel in some smaller salmon. I have newer reels on better rods but I almost alway fish with the old Mitchell and let my daughters and friends use the others. They are bomb proof!

Ordered a 25 pack of #12 treble hooks, my small crankbaits all need new ones and the local shop was out when I went in the other day.
I also found a 5 PC set of these cool micro crankbaits to try out.

Got the rod in and the replacement arm for the 300, hopefully I can get some fishing in here soon.

Reactions: 315
I think you need some line. :D I prefer the original blue Stren in 4lb test. I use 6lb test on my larger open face. Hope the Eagle Claw backpacker rod works for you.

I got my Durango boots (division of Rocky Boots) yesterday. These are casual wear boots versus cowboy boots or work boots. Sizing is right on. Seem well made but they need some breaking in (very stiff). Hopefully after a few wearings they will feel better on the feet. They rub my ankles presently.

Last edited:
Back