What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Great looking knives Dave, the oak leaf carving on the sheaths is excellent.

I made a video about it, it holds up.
It doesn't work the same as taking a steel like 1095 and leaving it AQ 67rc. The mechanism that makes Rex 121 this hard is a combination of tempered martensite, cobalt to resist decomposing of Martensite shape and solid solution Strengthing thanks to the high volume and size of Carbides to keep dislocations from moving. My point is it's not the same as having a steel untempered, the matrix is less strained to be at this hardness compared to other as quenched steels.

I would not make a prybar or a chopper from it. Impact toughness is very low, but it's used for small knives so I'd get a good laugh watching someone swing this 3.5" blade like an idiot. Rex121 has more Strength and Wear resistance than any steel available.

It works best for guys that want extreme slicing edge Retention and use proper gear and techniques to sharpen and use their knives only to cut.

When I was making a sheath the knife slipped off the counter and landed tip first in the hardwood floor. No damage. My heart skipped a beat though. :D

Passed the Wayne Goddard Tip test I suppose :p

Sounds like good steel for slipjoint knives!

Loving that leatherwork Dave (and the knives aren't shabby either)!

Check out Instagram link below to see knife builds in progress

lR0uVBG.jpg

5hVqG00.jpg

o9wnUul.jpg

UBDzsY8.jpg

The folder process fascinates me. Folder makers have got to be a little bit Cray-cray (in a good way, you know).

It took me a long time to get up the courage to start slip joints. I stopped all fixed blades and turned down all orders to concentrate on learning on how.

I bought books, video, and gadgets to learn how to make them.

I literally have completed knives only for things to go drastically wrong and having the shit hit the fan having to chuck blades and knives.

Everything has to be perfect, there is no fudging with slipjoints like there is on fixed blades

I expected that and that is part of the learning curve. Now it is a real pleasure and addicting to work on these little machines.

I now say when I need a rest, I will make a fixed blade again lol

It took me a long time to get up the courage to start slip joints. I stopped all fixed blades and turned down all orders to concentrate on learning on how.

I bought books, video, and gadgets to learn how to make them.

I literally have completed knives only for things to go drastically wrong and having the shit hit the fan having to chuck blades and knives.

Everything has to be perfect, there is no fudging with slipjoints like there is on fixed blades

I expected that and that is part of the learning curve. Now it is a real pleasure and addicting to work on these little machines.

I now say when I need a rest, I will make a fixed blade again lol
Oh Yeah...You got it BAD...Once bitten by the "Slippie" Bug its hard to get it out of your system. Now that you're using Pivot Bushings you can appreciate how smooth a simple pocket knife should function. My "Achilles" are all the wonderful options for scales that I could never use on a working Fixed Blade.

Now that you're using Pivot Bushings you can appreciate how smooth a simple pocket knife should function

Figuring out and using the pivot bushing has been a game changer. On a couple occasions I would lock up a pivot, due to being a gorilla, and that is a nightmare to get fixed if it can be fixed due to screwing it up trying to get the pin out.

Peening a pivot can give you an anxiety attack lol. Now with the bushing, while it is fiddly when making the knife, peening the pivot is no longer a problem and comes out smooth as better

yes, adam has come a long way in a short time ! i am sure his fixed blade experience helped pave the way. great grinds, good looking stuff.

Here is a donation for a local mountain bike trail advocacy group with some bike-specific touches. 8670 with green G10 and custom leather sheath. I inlaid a chain link into the handle and used chain links to stamp the leather.
IwrYyCC.jpg

AAGDeiU.jpg

Xo90SxZ.jpg

jOtRu83.jpg

IOn6NYc.jpg
Sweet! How do you get your name on the spine of the blade? I am a newbee so I do not know alot of the detailing!!!!

This is a 253mm gyuto made of 26C3. This blade has been differentially hardened and tests at 64-65Rc. The blade is 52mm tall and weighs 7.25oz / 206g.

The handle is gaboon ebony with abalone and nickel-silver spacers and end cap. The saya is also gaboon ebony and has a nickel-silver pin with abalone inlay.

MCDE8tC.jpg

17pCISO.jpg

wcfULDU.jpg

ohVMDDJ.jpg

bovbmE9.jpg

This is a 253mm gyuto made of 26C3. This blade has been differentially hardened and tests at 64-65Rc. The blade is 52mm tall and weighs 7.25oz / 206g.

The handle is gaboon ebony with abalone and nickel-silver spacers and end cap. The saya is also gaboon ebony and
Beautuful. Just out of curiosity - why the angled end cap? Looks good, but is not traditional for a wa handle...

Beautiful. Just out of curiosity - why the angled end cap? Looks good, but is not traditional for a wa handle...

Just aesthetic...something different to mix it up. I've made a bunch like this over the years, per customer request...sometimes the back side of the ferrule and spacers are angled also....see image below, coincidentally, another one with abalone. They are more work and require some fixturing to get a good tight glue up...this was a rare case of me doing it for a spec knife, not a customer request.

bPE3J5U.jpg

Next up is a chef's knife in AEB-L I am making for my sister for Christmas. I made several prototypes and adjusted some dimensions and at the bottom is the final prototype. The prototype is flat ground but I decided the blade was too light and also getting it perfectly flat was not worth the work involved, so the first "production" knife has a slight convex grind. Also, the camera angle makes it look like the production knife is shorter than the production knife, but actually it's longer. The tip geometry won't be completed until later. I find that I end up losing some of the tip, so I left it long.

Three sisters, so I still have two more to make after this one.

The scales are stabilized spalted oak, finished with bar counter type epoxy finish to make sure it is fully encapsulated and waterproof. Quite striking - the picture doesn't even do it justice.
0mDRikF.png

The prototype is 62HRC with a 10 DPS edge and a 15 DPS microbevel. I hope to get the production knife up to that hardness also.

Push cutting ripe tomatoes? NO PROBLEM!

Pickled Marlin and Ramsfoot fresh off the bench. Love this knife, never carried it because I was afraid of spoiling the shine.

Then I remembered the casehardening and decided to just use the knife for a few weeks. Spread butter and jam, mayo, sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, salami, cheese, onions, garlic etc. Never washed it, just wiped it off with a little olive oil.

Not afraid to carry it anymore

Last edited:
Back