What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I’m pretty new to this but having a really good time! Took a class a year and a half ago or so and now have my own little shop set up in the garage. I’ve started way way more things than I’ve finished. I’d like to try an antler on this. Is there a place that’s recommended to get antler pieces from?
QhE31rF.jpg

Still fiddling with different polishes playing around with my first hamon, pretty happy with it now. Lots of learns, including how easily the soft metal marrs/ & scratches. The hand rub finish isnt as clean as I would like but its an experiment knife that will be used in my kitchen so will move on to finishing now
4HVO3IA.jpg

Off topic but I think I got a new bug. Is there a sub forum to discuss knife non related things? I am sure there are bowyers among the knife makers. I really want to try to build a fiberglass bow :)

This recurve bow with ski limbs is a beast, i can pull it maybe 25" (still need to taper and round off the limbs, shape the handle, do tip overlays and so on).

xHzEml8.jpg

dS0VLLM.jpg

qomWFiF.jpg

I’m pretty new to this but having a really good time! Took a class a year and a half ago or so and now have my own little shop set up in the garage. I’ve started way way more things than I’ve finished. I’d like to try an antler on this. Is there a place that’s recommended to get antler pieces from?
QhE31rF.jpg
Etsy is a decent place to get antler

Finished up these four castration blades. I think they came out fairly nice. I’m still not convinced my work belongs on the website amongst some of the work of you true craftsmen, but as always, these are better than the ones before. As long as I keep improving, I’ll be happy.

TdmwWnS.jpg
I don’t know ...if your customers are buying them ... you have every right to post :)

a question - why the concavity on the spine? They all have them ... so I presume that is intentional?

Finished up these four castration blades. I think they came out fairly nice. I’m still not convinced my work belongs on the website amongst some of the work of you true craftsmen, but as always, these are better than the ones before. As long as I keep improving, I’ll be happy.

TdmwWnS.jpg
One improvement you can consider is rounding the spine of the blade or at least breaking the corner. It doesn’t take long at all to do this

One improvement you can consider is rounding the spine of the blade or at least breaking the corner. It doesn’t take long at all to do this
Thanks for the tip, HSC. None of the custom knives I’ve ever purchased had the spine rounded over, so it’s not something I’d have ever thought to do.

Now I’m going to have to go downstairs and take a picture of my Knipex :)
I've had the 7/10/12" pairs of these for YEARS, they are hands down THE best adjustable pliers.

I know a lot of you are tool nerds, if you're not familiar with Knipex adjustable pliers you definitely need to check them out:cool: (These 5" babies are adorable:D)

View attachment 1497289

I've had my eyes on that baby cobra on the right, very nice. These are mine, all used frequently.

Ps. Being a tool and machine nerd, is why you get into knifemaking right?
3We8rN7.jpg

Last edited:
Neocriollo, 125mm edge/5" Bohler K720 O2 steel, handle in paper micarta and ironwood. Forced Patina.
Criollo style sheath by Adrian Sanchis.
These work great for table eating and also as petty knives.

Pablo

inOHKkZ.jpg

nsLiUsZ.jpg

wQa1cBr.jpg

Back