What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Dictum Germany
Hmmm. checked their website. unless I missed it, it looks like they no longer have the VG-10 cored steel .... replaced it with SG-2 cored steel?? I have a knife with the SG-2 core (a petty). I like it, but have not had it as long as the one with VG-10 core, so cant really compare. The Suminagashi does not look as nice as that over the VG-10 core .... but that could be a result of how they etched it...... (deeper in the case of the Petty) ....

Hmmm. checked their website. unless I missed it, it looks like they no longer have the VG-10 cored steel .... replaced it with SG-2 cored steel?? I have a knife with the SG-2 core (a petty). I like it, but have not had it as long as the one with VG-10 core, so cant really compare. The Suminagashi does not look as nice as that over the VG-10 core .... but that could be a result of how they etched it...... (deeper in the case of the Petty) ....
Search 719614
https://www.dictum.com/en/steel-cca/japanese-suminagashi-flat-steel-extra-thin-719614

7MdYazJ.jpg

J3SFPnw.jpg

Low layer Damascus. My daughter took the picture, it's a little discouraging how terrible I am at taking pictures. I mean, the phone does everything for me, I literally just push the white dot, then ttaah picture. Anyway, honestly not loving the handle combination either, but the wife picked it out, and she's always right.

J3SFPnw.jpg

Low layer Damascus. My daughter took the picture, it's a little discouraging how terrible I am at taking pictures. I mean, the phone does everything for me, I literally just push the white dot, then ttaah picture. Anyway, honestly not loving the handle combination either, but the wife picked it out, and she's always right.
I like the handle combination, that dyed burl goes well with the Damascus pattern.

J3SFPnw.jpg

I like the burl match a lot, but I don't like the front piece. It doesn't seem to match either the blade pattern or the burl.
J3SFPnw.jpg
I think Stacy might be right now that I look at it again. Maybe next time consider rotating the mammoth tooth 90 degrees to better match the etch pattern in the blade, to have the grain in the mammoth tooth running the same direction.

Back