What's the most ergonomic and comfortable knife you own ( folder/ fixed ) Worst?

Mora's are pretty comfortabe. My ESEE 4 is comfy.

For folders, anything with a large grip, really. My Opinel No. 9 and my Spyderco Military probably take top billing, with an AG Russell Rancher (or maybe the Cowboy, whichever the larger of the two are), Spydie Endura 4, and Pacific Salt in a 3-way tie for third.

Edit to add the worst! My mind must be getting dodgy in my old age. I have a Kershaw Leek that I hate closing one handed. I feel like I'm going to develop carpal tunnel every time I try to close that sucker. For general use, I dislike any of my multi-bladed knives that stick up too much. The most egregious offender is my Case large stockman and a Schrade 34 OT. The sheepsfoot blades stick up something fierce, and kind of get in the way when using the main clip blade. Also, my K55K Mercator knife. Too skinny.

Last edited:
Folder, Protech Integrity. Just melts into my hand:

Fixed blade, Muela Rhino. So nice.

Kershaw Tremor is the comfiest knife I own, though I can't help but feel like I am holding Count Dooku's lightsaber every time I hold it. Seems quite fitting considering considering that knife cuts through everything with ease.

Best - spyderco southard (hands down) followed by AFCK

Worst- any balisong....

Best folder, probably my dejavoo or my spartan.
best fixed blade gerber prodigy, scrapyard 711

worst was a boker magnum fixed blade with professionally sharpened handles that made the contego look like a day at the spa

Love the inclusion of a slinky.....nothing says love like a slinky!!!

Kershaw tilt.

CAM01446_zps44d03493.jpg

best folder: spyderco pm2 (i like the big handle).

best fixed: gravelle fk-sm. love this knife in ways i shoudnt.

worst folder: crkt drifter. its a junk knife, soft blade, crappy action, just hate it....glad i got it off of a deal of the day site, because this knife is almost worse than nothing.

worst fixed blade: not sure.

Knife ergos for my paws:

Best folder: Spyderco Caly 3.5 by a mile, and then Kershaw Lahar, PM2, and BM Mini-Onslaught
Worst folder: BM Contego, CS Voyager (med)
Best fixed: Becker BK-10, ESEE 6
Worst fixed: HI Malla Khukuri--can't seem to warm up to that raised ring halfway down the handle

I love my Norseman, but I think best ergos belong to my Manix 2, love the shape and weight and there are a lot more grip options than with my other knives.

Best folder: Cold Steel AK-47, hands down. Finger grooves in all the right places and even a little sub hilt at the rear. The rounded, full G10 grip envelops the hand and does a superb job of keeping you where you need to be.
Runner up: Spyderco Tenacious. I hate the lock but I love everything else about this knife, and its ergonomics are just wonderful. I plan to buy many more similar Spydercos.

Best fixed blade: Cold Steel Leatherneck series. Nice, thick kraton handle is super slip resistant even when soaking wet, fills the palm, has a nice thumb shelf, and the well-done finger troughs complete the package. The only way ergonomics could be better is if the back of the steel guard was coated with kraton.
Supremely close runner up: it's a toss up between Cold Steel's Gurkha Kukri and Recon Tanto.

Worst folder: Benchmade HK Ally. This thing is just not comfortable and it looks and feels like a mall ninja designed it. It has jimping everywhere except where you need it, the steel handle is full of uncomfortable angles, and the knife is tiny. Avoid.
Runner up: CRKT Pazoda 2. It's a tiny folder with a metal handle. Hard to open and close with one hand. Everything else about it is nice though.

Worst fixed blade: Ka-bar ZK Acheron. Just...no. Thin skeletonized steel handle that you can barely get a four finger grip on. Only comfortable holding it in a saber grip.
Runner up: ESEE Izula for similar reasons. It's not even comfortable with aftermarket scales. The original Izula should have been discontinued and replaced with the Izula II.

[Edit: the following are in terms of ergonomics, not build or quality]

Best folder: Manix2 XL. Far and away the best grip of any knife that I own.

Best fixed: ZT0121. Very comfortable.

Worst folder: Spyderco Military (hate how the liner lock digs into my forefinger)

Worst fixed: Not sure. All of mine are relatively comfortable.

Fixed blade, Muela Rhino. So nice.

Fan of Muela. Now I have to get a Rhino. :D

Last edited:
Only when a knife is made specifically for your hand will you know true comfort. These were made to fit my hand perfectly.
Richard J skinner:

JK Handmade Knives Rule #9:

If your gonna go, go custom.

All eligible for most comfortable folders, CRKT Mah Ling, Boker Resurrection 2nd Generation and Manaro, ZT 0200, BM Onslaught, Cold Steel Spartan and Voyager XL. Don't have most uncomfortable folder. My hand is pretty adaptable as long as the grip isn't short. I guess I'm lucky.

Most ergonomic and comfortable, in this order:
Doug Ritter Mini RSK MK1 Griptilian.
Doug Ritter Full RSK MK1 Griptilian.
Ontario Rat Model II 3".
Brous S.S.F. 1st gen.

DSCN1501_zps26a0802d.jpg

DSCN1500_zps2f11f435.jpg

DSCN1424_zps3b4742f9.jpg

DSCN1421_zps4166f112.jpg

SS7.jpg

Best folder: Zt 0550 and Griptillian
Worst folder: CRKT M16 13z, handle is too small and too slick, and pretty much any stainless steel handled folder I have handled.

Best fixed blade: my Blackjack model 1-7. Love that stacked leather handle.
Worst fixed blade: I don't know...I can't think of any that I own that are actually bad.

folder that is most comforting for me to use .. opinel 10

folder that raped my hand when I was using it tho it felt good before I had to actually use it .. RATII .. I was sad about that , the knife looks nice till its used hard for any length of time , I carried it for a while as a town knife

fixed blade , I kinda make my own to suit :) nothing like a custom handle to fit your own hand ..

worst fixed blade to use , when I was a kid I saved up the handful of dollars to buy a hollow handled " survival" knife the handle was harder than the blade , and the knurling on the steel tube was cruel .

Back