What's Your Case Slip Joint of Choice?

How did you decide which Case was best for you?

I want to get one, and I like the Texas Jack, the Peanut, and the Mini Trapper.

I want it to be < 3" and CV steel and that's all the parameters I have. I just want it to be easy to carry no matter what the occasion. I keep looking through the online stores and one of these days I'm going to get one.

Which Case slip joint do you have and why do you like it?
First, some remarks on the three you like. Only the peanut is smaller than 3 inches. The other two are approximately 3 & 1/2 inches closed, but are a better size than the peanut for me. My hands are big and I have trouble with small knives. I have a peanut and a mini trapper, and my daughter has a Texas jack, so I have been able to compare.

I started out trying to get one, and bought four, one right after the other. And I was gifted a couple. These are my Case knives:
fX50WlS.jpg

I'l tell you how I decided on mine. I bought the trapper, the medium stockman, the mini trapper, and the lockback, in that order, probably within a month. The wharncliffe mini trapper and peanut were gifts. I love them all. But the trapper gets carried the most, sometimes in a belt sheath, sometimes in my left front pocket. I love the size of the handle, and that it has two long blades. The medium stockman has a medium size blade and two small blades, and the mini trapper has two medium blades. I like big blades. So this is very subjective. But the trapper looks and feels best to me. Some people don't like the heft and size.

Why don't you get the three you are interested in and carry them for awhile? You'll probably settle on a favourite. And who wants only one knife, anyway?

Lots of great comments and pictures here.

I am realizing my preferred handle materials are 1. Amber bone. 2. Blue bone. And 3. Yellow synthetic.

Half stop or not makes no difference to me.

And like a typical hunter-gatherer, I get excited about the selection process.

If you're open to a mid-back lock, the Mini Copperlock is a fantastic knife. Slim, light, great blade, gentlemanly, and very comfortable to use.

3Qjx2xT.jpg

There is a beautiful corn cob navy blue version (TruSharp), a yellow Delrin (I believe out of production but can be found and in both SS and CV), and red bone CV version (among many, many others). I will caution you, that my experience with amber bone (shown above) is that there can be a good bit of variation in tone from one side to the other.

The single blade Mini Trapper in yellow Delrin is excellent and can also be had in SS and CV and at a very good price.

tlM2c5W.jpg

Last edited:
3 inches closed is a small knife and will limit your selection. That size is a bit too small for me.
At 3.5" the saddlehorn and mini trappers are a couple of my favorites. Not sure about CV availability in those patterns.
Case make great knives :thumbsup:

My favorite two case knives are both a bit over 3", the Swayback gent and the 08 pattern half whittler.

I frequently carry a peanut but find myself reaching more for the gent or the half whittler for most tasks.

Last edited:

I want to get one, and I like the Texas Jack, the Peanut, and the Mini Trapper.

I want it to be < 3" and CV steel and that's all the parameters I have. I just want it to be easy to carry no matter what the occasion. I keep looking through the online stores and one of these days I'm going to get one.

Which Case slip joint do you have and why do you like it?
I love the amber Jigged bone 62032 Texas jack, and the 6208 half whittler.
I didn't like the secondary so I turned it into a clip but otherwise love the Texas jack

The half whittler I wish was available in CV ( wish all could be had as ground across the board ) but it became a real favorite right away. It's just the perfect little knife.

My favorite at this point has to be a Mini Trapper Wharncliffe single blade, right size, thin, light weight and a very handy blade. I might add that with my aging hands the Mini Trappers Wharncliffe blade is pinchable without using the Nail Nick. I always carry at least 2 knives so my 2nd would be a Peanut. The Mini Copperlock and the Slimline Trapper also get a lot of pocket time. Future wants are a Swayback Gent and a Pen.
upload_2019-7-30_22-5-20.jpeg

I'm a white collar stiff and carry a ratcliffe muskrat most every day. It's surprisingly thin, so it doesn't print much. Not too big - just about right to me for everyday carry....

I like to expand my horizons on occasion and have found a liking to the 63032 and 6107w. My 3 all time fave Case patterns ----->

9GoRLxi.jpg

I like the way the Trappers feel in my hand. The round butt is everything,( think knives) . I mostly gravitate to the large Trapper on top. There is just something about it that tells me that it is no slouch when there is man's work for the day and heavy farm chores to do.It's the right size and hefty enough to take what comes at it. The Mini Trappers also find their way into my pocket on any given day as well as will the Barlow, again, think round butt. Round butts just feel so good so my squared off ended knives just seem to stay in the drawer. But for the EDC knife without fail that has everything going for it, I'd say the Mini Trapper is a must. They come in Tru Sharp or CV,I have both and both are good steels. Your pick.
HhPQTMa.jpg

My Lansky1 inspired Ratcliffe is my favorite Case pattern and gets most of the pocket time in my EDC.--KV

The case medium stockman with the yellow synthetic handle is one id highly. Recommend. Had one i carried everyday for almost 20 years, just recently got another one.
The cv steel is probably my favorite knife steel sharpens easily and holds a good edge. The jack or mini trapper would also be excellent choices

Of the Case slipjoints that I have, my favorite is an amber bone CV Canoe.

I'm pretty sure I'd like their large stockman, but I've never had one so I can't say for sure. I do like other large stockmans ...

This question implies that there is a single answer. My answer is that it changes from day to day or situation to situation.

When I started down this path in late 2012, my very first knife order for traditionals was a trifecta: Case Small Texas Jack Amber Bone CV, Case Sway Back Jack Chestnut Bone CV, and Case Peanut Chestnut Bone CV.

Of those three, the Small Texas Jack had the most pocket time and is still a well-loved knife in my collection (to the point where I have 4 variants of it) and that one I regularly carried back in the early days still gets used.

I also carried a Peanut for years, sometimes as a primary knife, sometimes as a secondary, and they are quite useful tools to have along.

I also like the full-sized Trapper for when I need something a little bigger, and any of the Stockman patterns for the utility of a straight edge, but those weren't in your original list.

If I were going to pick just one out of the short list, it would be the Small Texas Jack.

Rather hard to say, and that's a good thing:D

Currently, it's the Chestnut Bone Swayback Gent in cv

eIXye50.jpg

But a big shout goes out for the Penknife, Slimline Trapper and I'm really bad at recalling Stockman pattern No.s:rolleyes: but the square bolster Medium one that has Pen in place of Spey? Identical frame to Small Texas Jack:cool:

ifQPHEf.jpg

9nglyLR.jpg

I am noticing a lot of slip joints include a spey, but I don't see myself using a spey much. spear point and sheepsfoot, yes. Spey no.

I really like the feel of the Tribal lock, but I want to belt carry it, and I haven't made the sheath yet. I also just discovered the trapper lock, which I really like. And the copperlock. I have peanuts, a tiny trapper, mini trapper, big trapper, stag stockman, copperhead and seahorse whittler. Oh, and a Sodbuster.
If I had to choose one for a "do-all", though, I think it would be a mini-trapper, CV, in a nice bone, or stag. Since I'm sort of on a winterbottom kick right now, a mini trapper with winterbottom bone scales might just be the ticket.

I'm happy I don't have to choose just one, though.

l0nRApY.jpg

Just a little bit over the 3 inch mark, the Case barlow has quickly become a favorite with me. The new 2019 release has a wonderful brown sawcut bone in CV. Mine is an 2008, and is a great knife. I tend to like bigger knives so haven't tried many small Case offerings. But I do have and carry a baby copperhead, but mostly as a secondary to a bigger knife. I tend to use smaller knives while eating, to be unobtrusive.

Back