What's Your Case Slip Joint of Choice?

l0nRApY.jpg

Just a little bit over the 3 inch mark, the Case barlow has quickly become a favorite with me. The new 2019 release has a wonderful brown sawcut bone in CV. Mine is an 2008, and is a great knife. I tend to like bigger knives so haven't tried many small Case offerings. But I do have and carry a baby copperhead, but mostly as a secondary to a bigger knife. I tend to use smaller knives while eating, to be unobtrusive.

Yes... I was going to mention the Barlow, since I finally received my brown sawcut CV that I got to wait 2 months for. Actually, it's in my pocket as I type this. Barlows are difficult to beat for a do everything kind of knife.
Yours is really nice looking... the jigging is great! Sort of a "wavy winterbottom". Did it just come that way, or is that a specific type of jigging that Case does?

hornetguy hornetguy
Thanks
Barlows are great,much like sodbuster types elegant in their simplicity. Mine is whats known as corncob jigged,specifically pocket worn corncob. I thought it was called that but I asked around here and got a confirmation. Pocket worn corncob definitely has grown on me! Gotta say though those new sawcut ones are the bees knees as well;):thumbsup:

SuperHowl, what are the sides on that Barlow? Would love to get one of those...

My favorite Case must be the medium stockman as I own three of them. Next would be the out of production whittlers with the drop point main blade. Most of my life I have liked a combination of drop point main blade, a pen blade and a coping blade. That combination covers all of my daily cutting needs (including recreational wood carving.)

Well.. Being I have probably close to 200 in various patterns..;) I would say its the one I have in the rfp at the time I need it..:D
John
:eek::eek:

Oh, my... that is a serious collection... I've been on a buying binge lately, and have decided I need to slow down. I have close to 20 various slipjoints sitting on top of my dresser now.... but close to 200 of one pattern? Wow... impressive!

I like the Case 18 pattern and the 32 pattern Medium Stockman - 3-9/16" OAL, weigh the same in the pocket - my EDC size for many years - big enough to be effective but small enough to be unnoticeable during LFP carry. I also like the Case 6279 Senator for a dress slacks pocketknife, useful enough for dressy tasks while being unobtrusive in pocket carry. OH
Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg

Case-63032-1980-6332-1978-Medium-Stockman.jpg

Case-6279-Senator-1976.jpg

That's a tough call. Case makes a number of knives that I absolutely love. My longest running favorite is the medium punch stockman. You get two thinly ground CV blades and a stainless punch, sandwiched with their glorious yellow Delrin and wrapped with stainless springs. Every single aspect of this knife is purely about function. I respect that a ton.

km8e2luh.jpg

But the punch stockman is recently discontinued, I believe. So we'll move on to more current offerings. The best of the best for me seems to be the mini-trapper. The size and weight is crazy perfect, and the blade options and cover materials abound. Nice thinly ground blades too. My faves are the two-blade wharncliffe in bone stag and the yellow two-blade with cap lifter in yellow Delrin.

k6AxlfCh.jpg

mlGW8Zzh.jpg

As an aside, the Tribal lock is a sensational knife. A very, very well executed design. Totally underrated, IMHO. It's on the large side for EDC, but pocket carries much easier than I thought it would. Ergonomics are sensational. Blade shape is soooooooo good. Thinly ground too.

ixcn5TWh.jpg

I want a Case that isn't made. I wish they made a knife identical to the Case/Bose wharncliffe trapper, minus the wharncliffe blade. A single spring knife with just the clip would be nigh perfect. :(

My favorite Case slip joint still has to be the Trapper. But if you're going to pocket carry, the handle material matters. My smooth bone Trapper is close to 1/8" thinner than Kim's jigged bone one, and the camo Zytel one we have is thicker still. I can carry the smooth bone comfortably in my pocket, the other 2 are pouch carries. Buzzbait Buzzbait , +1 on the Tribal lock. Was in the feed store last year before Christmas looking at knives for presents for others. I picked up a CV Tribal lock and knew immediately who was getting that one! :p

Back