Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

I'll bet that Victorinox, manfuacturing 34000 folding knives with their non locking blades each day outsell all the locking clipping knife companies combined with plenty change left over. Which kinda means that the majority, perhaps the vast majority, even in 2019, are buying these 'old timey' knives. As such OP, why are you so different? :D

I'll bet that Victorinox, manfuacturing 34000 folding knives with their non locking blades each day outsell all the locking clipping knife companies combined with plenty change left over. Which kinda means that the majority, perhaps the vast majority, even in 2019, are buying these 'old timey' knives. As such OP, why are you so different? :D

Well, all that shows is that Victorinox makes 12,410,000 mistakes every year. That is not very reassuring if you ask me. :eek:

Yup. Some people should really think before they post.

Day in, day out, on ranches all over they are the knife that makes bull calves into steer calves for your steaks, burgers, roasts, etc:

YwVLZIV.jpg

SwY51om.jpg

UeHDtce.jpg

URStp4H.jpg

yn3IGqk.jpg

Hv4SEp8.jpg

62VaMAQ.jpg

I have made massive in roads on this market with my small fixed blades but there is much work to do yet:

mOmZe2y.jpg

f84L2eC.jpg

YtGt22k.jpg

0UECzKT.jpg

2KHNQh2.jpg

I shall persevere, I shall conquer! Unlikely. To answer the OP, everyone. The trapper, whoever makes it, IS the cowboy knife. I'm running a distant second. Not to worry I won't weaken.

Motega Motega You seem to be at the very beginning of your knife journey (if you are on a knife journey...). Keep discovering knives, the enlightment will come (or not...). The sassy attitude towards traditional knife lovers irks a bit, though.
He's been a member here longer than most of us. :eek:
What happened to the OP? Post and run? Smells like a troll to me. Particularly with that spectacularly dumb question.=--KV
Yeah...

Stinks like troll in here.

I did enjoy all the responses though...

Defend freedom!

:D
All his recent posts have been troll posts. So, if he is a troll, he's playing the long game at nearly 14 years :confused:

There are more things in heaven and Earth, Motega Motega than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

You apparently like knives, or you wouldn't have an account here, and even within that relatively niche general category of interest there's a subcategory that you were unaware of and can't understand.

Now imagine all the totally unrelated hobbies people are into. The world is large.

I carry both slipjoints and modern knives most days. I like both types.

Traditional slipjoints hearken back to history in a way modern knives don't. They are often built more by hand. They more often include natural materials. They are often less expensive than modern knives (a Great Eastern Cutlery Northfield is usually less than $125, which is kind of the point where non budget modern knives start, especially if made in the USA). They have a great aesthetic. They cut really well due to usually having thin grinds. There are lots of different patterns (if you think they're all the same you're not looking closely) that suit different needs.

A lot of people are stuck on having a lock. I'm not one to say "if you need a lock you aren't using a knife correctly" because that's dumb, even when using a knife safely accidents happen and a lock can help. However, it's very rare that a lock is the deciding factor in a knife buy or knife safety for me. Anyway, some traditional knives have locks.

I think too many people get hung up on the "what if" scenarios when it comes to their daily usage. I'd bet money that a good percentage of people that "need" a lock would be able to get by with a slip joint during their every day routine.

I think too many people get hung up on the "what if" scenarios when it comes to their daily usage. I'd bet money that a good percentage of people that "need" a lock would be able to get by with a slip joint during their every day routine.
I agree but some people are fixed in their views of lock vs no lock. It isn't like most slip joints just fall closed if you apply a little pressure cutting in the wrong direction.

The other edc thing is knife size. We all have our preferences. But I believe that the majority here could function perfectly well with a small knife as an edc. I do keep somewhat larger folding knives available if they are needed and usually require me just getting into my field bag, a trip to my vehicle, and retrieving it when I'm working. No big thing at home as I have endless choices.

I agree but some people are fixed in their views of lock vs no lock. It isn't like most slip joints just fall closed if you apply a little pressure cutting in the wrong direction.

The other edc thing is knife size. We all have our preferences. But I believe that the majority here could function perfectly well with a small knife as an edc. I do keep somewhat larger folding knives available if they are needed and usually require me just getting into my field bag, a trip to my vehicle, and retrieving it when I'm working. No big thing at home as I have endless choices.

I agree with the size aspect. I work in an automotive parts department and I open a ton of stuff everyday. So, I actually decided to go through different style knives for a while just to see how they worked for me. I usually carry more than one knife a day, at least one modern and one traditional, but I would only use one for the entire time I was at work. I went through a few of each and I actually preferred a trapper and a large stockman more than almost anything. I'll tell you this, out of the ZT's, Benchmades, Spydercos, Case knives, GEC's and Bucks...the Buck 501 was probably my favorite. It was already one of my favorite knives anyway, along with a 112, but it really did everything I needed. I'd love to see it in a slip joint version though...

I don't know. Imho that's the same logic you hear from people where they say something like "I'm a safe driver, I've never had a accident so why do I need a seat belt?" There is still risk involved.
But on the flip side I would argue that a person with a slip joint usualy would be much more mindful and cautious when using a knife then a person with a lock which can be just as safe if not more safe.

The only problem is there is less and less people who know safe knife usage. Heck in my area I've heard even the Scouts are talking about removing knives from the program.

Back