why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
How does XHP hold serrations?
If it works, XHP has my vote.

Also, PFS-27 on my Junction is tough as a beast! Would that translate into good serrated performance? If so, it might move me away from a stainless.

Hi, y’all. Been around but new on this sub -F.

This is exciting! First Spyderco for me was in the 80’s - a PIG.

G-10 and VG-10 works for me as long as it has the original blade.

I know VG-10 is a non-starter for some though. Any good stainless works here.

Really hope this happens.

Big fan of the Police model even as an EDC. Still hunting for the right vintage one to buy.

If you did micarta how about a denim micarta and the blue color would be symbolic of police. I would live to see the old "Police Model" engraved on the blade much like the early ones.

Black G10 would be fine as well if you could make a "thin blue line" inlay on each side

So far, I've got the original blade shape and grind with the center line going through the center of the blade with a swedge (not sharp). The handle will be either G-10 or Micarta, probably in some sort of blue color, with the same shape as the original Stainless model so the swedge drops below the scale. We still need to establish the handle details, the blade steel and the engraving, which so far could be; "To Protect and Serve". Plain and serrated versions.

I also thought about black G-10 scale with a thin blue line through the handle.

comments?

sal

So far, I've got the original blade shape and grind with the center line going through the center of the blade with a swedge (not sharp). The handle will be either G-10 or Micarta, probably in some sort of blue color, with the same shape as the original Stainless model so the swedge drops below the scale. We still need to establish the handle details, the blade steel and the engraving, which so far could be; "To Protect and Serve". Plain and serrated versions.

comments?

sal
You did the Wayne Goddard perfectly in linerless micarta! The police would be amazing in Denim blue. Linerless might make one position clip more reality. (I can dream) :cool:

Seconded denim micarta, I'm thinking bare M4? Sounds super sweet! Maybe some grooves on the handle for extra traction? I've seen only faded denim micarta but you could consider dark/navy blue denim as it comes new... faded is cool also.

At the risk of denoucements of "that's not a Police" maybe compression lock?

Last edited:
I also thought about black G-10 scale with a thin blue line through the handle. comments? sal

Like the G10 w/blue liners in the Siren?

If so, I think that would look very cool in a Police model but I think you'd need a steel enhancement (at least the K390) to make it comparable to the Police 4 (which has been discontinued since last year). See: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84925

Personally, I think LC200N (as in the Siren) would be better on an LEO knife than K390 and this difference would further distinguish it from the Police 4. Just don't texture the G10 as aggressively as they are on the Siren, which people complain is too abrasive.

Blue Micarta (or G-10) works, but black G-10 or Micarta - either with a nice “thin blue line(er)” is way cool.
Not sure much (any?) texturing is needed due to the overall profile. If some, though, then light.
Chamfered edges on the handle, please.
Original style lock would be best, but a compression lock as mentioned would work.
Blade sounds great, Sal!

I like the denim/blue micarta idea. Hoping for no or minimal engraving. I prefer my blades plain. Since it's a service knife, make it in a serviceable steel, and a Japanese steel is just fine. Keep the back lock. A new lock means a new knife and that's gonna double the price to redesign. Maybe reposition the clip to ride lower in the pocket.

comments?

sal
Sounds good to me. I really like the g10/thin blue line idea. I like the engraved “To Protect And Serve” as well. “Police Model” should be on the blade. I’d like the blade to be vg10, aus 10, or some other easily maintainable stainless. Maybe s35vn.

Enough with the compression lock. As Sal has said "These aren't Legos". Total redesign is not what most of us are talking about, and that's what a lock change would take. Personally, I'm sick and tired of the compression lock in general.

Linerless blue denim Micarta would get my vote, but I doubt that would happen due to past experiences. Sal once told us that the biggest lesson he learned from making linerless Micarta knives was not to. But the Native Chief is a linerless G-10 backlock, so I'm pretty sure that could be done.

Why am I so set on linerless? Remember the C54 Calypso? The liners on the Sprint added 50% to the weight of the knife. That's the difference between me as a gymnast in high school and me now, playing Santa Claus in an unpadded suit. If we have to have liners to make it happen, I'll probably buy one anyway, but I'd carry it if it was lighter.

As far as steel goes, rust resistance is nice, but since the maker doesn't do hollow grinds anymore, H-1 is probably out and LC200N doesn't impress me in areas other than corrosion resistance. As much as I'd like to see S110V, VG-10 would work for this and maybe keep the price tag out of the stratosphere.

Sal once told us that the biggest lesson he learned from making linerless Micarta knives was not to. But the Native Chief is a linerless G-10 backlock, so I'm pretty sure that could be done
I could be mistaken, but I think micarta is less impact resistant than g10. That would allow for more pin area deformation from heavy use. I do like the linerless g10 idea.

ETA: a micarta handle with liners is more likely to develop rust in the environments these may be in, compared to g10 with liners. Unless the liners are extremely rust resistant. Linerless g10 seems like a good alternative.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I think micarta is less impact resistant than g10. That would allow for more pin area deformation from heavy use. I do like the linerless g10 idea.

ETA: a micarta handle with liners is more likely to develop rust in the environments these may be in, compared to g10 with liners. Unless the liners are extremely rust resistant. Linerless g10 seems like a good alternative.

Thin Micarta without liners is affected by changes in altitude and humidity as well. Going from Japan (low altitude and high humidity) to the high altitude and near-desert humidity of Golden caused warpage in quite a few of the linerless Micarta knives they made back in the 90s, with the worst problems showing up in the larger knives.

I agree with Jack. Linerless Micarta had problems, as Jack mentioned, deformation and holding clip screws.

If we use G-10, I would prefer to use a highly skeletonized liner (to reduce weight) Which will, in my opinion, support pivots and screws on such a large knife. My next question would be texture or smooth? Any opinions on how many to make?

sal

I agree with Jack. Linerless Micarta had problems, as Jack mentioned, deformation and holding clip screws.

If we use G-10, I would prefer to use a highly skeletonized liner (to reduce weight) Which will, in my opinion, support pivots and screws on such a large knife. My next question would be texture or smooth? Any opinions on how many to make?

sal

I prefer smooth but believe there should be some grip to it. Any way you could do a "medium" grit texturing? Kind of the way your g10/Cf laminates are textured?

As far as the number produced, youre the expert! I dont think it should be a <1200 piece sprint though.

Enough to grip but not to tear up the pocket. Prefer full liner but skeletonized liners would work too I guess. I don't understand the weight problem, how does a few tenths of an ounce or so matter, I prefer them a little beefier(must be the only person on here though). My favorite ones by you are full linered, oh well I hope you keep producing some that way. It would be a limited audience compared to other releases IMHO, 1500-2000?

Back