why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
Enough to grip but not to tear up the pocket. Prefer full liner but skeletonized liners would work too I guess. I don't understand the weight problem, how does a few tenths of an ounce or so matter, I prefer them a little beefier(must be the only person on here though). My favorite ones by you are full linered, oh well I hope you keep producing some that way. It would be a limited audience compared to other releases IMHO, 1500-2000?

Seems like you couldnt get beefier than a SS police lol. Like the opposite of skeletonized liners!

Yep. If I wanted heavy, I'd just grab an all stainless and be good to go. If slippery is a concern, a little skateboard tape will fix that. No need for a G-10 Sprint there.

Enough to grip but not to tear up the pocket. Prefer full liner but skeletonized liners would work too I guess. I don't understand the weight problem, how does a few tenths of an ounce or so matter, I prefer them a little beefier(must be the only person on here though). My favorite ones by you are full linered, oh well I hope you keep producing some that way. It would be a limited audience compared to other releases IMHO, 1500-2000?

Weight may not matter to someone who carries a single knife, a house key and a credit card. Have you ever picked up a police officer's duty belt? Those ounces add up.

Smooth goes in the waistband, textured goes in the back pocket, so I'm good with either, although polished G-10 would certainly set it apart from what has gone before. 600 plain, 600 serrated and 300 combo edges sounds reasonable to me. Hopefully that wouldn't leave you sitting on a huge pile of stock for years.

Sorry I am late to this awesome thread. On the job I carry a waved Delica with a wisemen signet ring in my left pocket and a standard endura in my right pocket. Off duty, I step it up to a pm2 or manix 2xl. I also keep a pakkawood endura in the drawer for special occasions. Since both at work and off duty my go to folders are spyderco’s, I always thought it was odd that I don’t own a police model. This will definitely change that.

I love everything I have heard for ideas. Both g-10 and micarta is good to go. For steel, vg10 or better is just fine.

The real reason I wanted to post is pertaining to what is written on it. I appreciate all support and anything that is decided is really cool. But I will say this... “to protect and serve” and similar things are safe and very kind. “Blue lives matter” is saying more. It says we stand with you even though it is currently not pc. We put ourselves on the line with you even at the cost of the current climate. We understand you are being unfairly exploited by those that are trying to push their agenda or by those that are ignorant to the facts.

The latter is a bigger risk and therefor more meaningful. Lately it seems like every organization has chosen profit over principles and have spat in the face of our flag, country and those that try to protect and serve both domestically and abroad. That is why the extra step would have more of an impact than one would think.

Anyways, either way thank you for the great products and continued support. Whatever is decided, put me down for at least one!! Excuse my grammar, this was written on my phone while on vacation in Virginia Beach (good thing for H1).

Does everyone realize how ludicrous it is to complain of carrying a few extra grams in a pocket knife?

Lay off the Starbucks and doughnuts for a month and anyone can carry a sword for the weight savings that will take place.

Life's too short to waste carrying wimpy knives. :p

I want a folding Bowie with bronze handles and a vial of mercury as a fob.

All that would do is make it easier for gravity to pull my pants down from the weight of all the crap I carry. You can carry all the bricks you want to in your pockets. I have enough ballast already.

I agree with Jack. Linerless Micarta had problems, as Jack mentioned, deformation and holding clip screws.

If we use G-10, I would prefer to use a highly skeletonized liner (to reduce weight) Which will, in my opinion, support pivots and screws on such a large knife. My next question would be texture or smooth? Any opinions on how many to make?

sal

Ok. Polished black G-10 with a poppin’ thin blue skeletonized liner. I am ok with some texture on this one, but my recollection of my old PIG was that it was not necessary in this design.
Bringing back the old lock is great, Sal. Makes sense and it works as well as honoring the OG model.
VG-10 would do fine and as said hopefully help with costs.
Exciting stuff!

How about you include a common police officer’s oath to the constitution? It’s a reminder to both the public and the police that an officer’s primary role is to protect life, liberty, and property.

How about you include a common police officer’s oath to the constitution? It’s a reminder to both the public and the police that an officer’s primary role is to protect life, liberty, and property.
I thought only the Military did that oath, I didn't know Cops did it too. Hard to beat "To Protect and Serve" IMHO.

I thought only the Military did that oath, I didn't know Cops did it too. Hard to beat "To Protect and Serve" IMHO.
I mean, the entire intent of the police force is to enforce laws which should all be in accordance with the constitution. The military really doesn’t have much impact on direct lifestyle within the US. They don’t arrest someone who stole your car.

Last edited:
Yes, I just looked it up, some Police Dept's do mention the constitution. I didn't know that. All Military(except National Guard, slightly different):"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God".

i really hope that spyderco doesnt give up on the false double edge. this thread made me realize how much i love the aesthetic of the spyderco double edge, models like the original native and spyderco scorpius are two other examples that come to mind.

i really hope that spyderco doesnt give up on the false double edge. this thread made me realize how much i love the aesthetic of the spyderco double edge, models like the original native and spyderco scorpius are two other examples that come to mind.

Still wishing for a hollow ground Native Chief with a swedge!

Hello Fraden Lock!

Weight may not matter to someone who carries a single knife, a house key and a credit card. Have you ever picked up a police officer's duty belt? Those ounces add up.

Smooth goes in the waistband, textured goes in the back pocket, so I'm good with either, although polished G-10 would certainly set it apart from what has gone before. 600 plain, 600 serrated and 300 combo edges sounds reasonable to me. Hopefully that wouldn't leave you sitting on a huge pile of stock for years.

Yours is a fairly unique situation. I was in Armed Security for a while and know what you mean, hell just the belt and holsters is heavy. I did some things to lighten the load, some actually helped and some was I think more of a psychological help, at the end of the shift its what works for you.

I’m really hoping it’s not vg10 . People must really like sharpening. With all the most excellent choices now, vg10 isn’t one of them

Edges? plain, serrated, combination?

Jack's suggestion of 600-600 and 300 sounds good to me.

VG-10 may be the best choice for this model.

sal

Last edited:
Edges: plain and serrated....not sure combo edge would have much of an audience.
Quantity: 1200 plain & 600 serrated seems abt. right to me....and honestly, that might not be enough once word got out.
Steel: VG-10 keeps the price acceptable for those "in the trade" so to speak.

I'm in for two as of tonight!

Thanks Sal.

Last edited:
Yep. If I wanted heavy, I'd just grab an all stainless and be good to go. If slippery is a concern, a little skateboard tape will fix that. No need for a G-10 Sprint there.

Id want as light weight as possible as well. For example when being active in the summer, the FRN VG10 Police 4 is just the ticket in the pocket of a pair of light weight shorts. Wouldnt want anything much heavier. Have considered buying the Police 4 Lightweight K390 but am interested in this project as well.

Back