Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife?

I'm not calling OP ignorant or indifferent, you're just putting words in my mouth. I'm going off of his post, which explicitly states that he is new to the higher end collecting game. With that I mind, I offered my opinion that he shouldn't sell his collection for a sebenza, and that the "decent" ZTs, benchmades, and Spydercos would represent a better value to pretty much anyone except those looking for the ultimate in tolerences and fit and finish.

Simple as that.

Do YOU have anything constructive to offer?

With all respect, I don't think you intended it; but there was an elitist tone to your post...it pretty much came off as saying the OP wasn't worldly or experienced enough to appreciate the quality of a sebenza, yet.

With all respect, I don't think you intended it; but there was an elitist tone to your post...it pretty much came off as saying the OP wasn't worldly or experienced enough to appreciate the quality of a sebenza, yet.

If that's the case, I apologize. My wording isn't the best this late at night, so I can see how it may have come out wrong....

Actually there is something I would like to take back. In my first couple posts I DID falsely assume that OP was largely unconcerned with the fit and finish and tolerences, without knowing for a fact if he was or not. My bad. You know what they say about assumptions.....:eek:

Perhaps I should preface my statements with "If the OP ISN'T overly concerned with the details that drive up the sebenzas price, namely the tolerences and and fit and finish, then the following is my advice"

Don't deal off all your blades for one new one. Have some patients and take more time between buys to add more expensive brands you like to your collection. Those old favorites are a lot of fun to go back to and realize why you liked them in the first place.

I am a firm believer in owning and using one really good blade that fits all of your needs. For me it does happen to be a sebenza. We all know about the build quality , but it is more than that. The blade shape is a super useful utility style blade. And the coffin style handle allows for a firm grip in any position with a thumb area for reverse cutting.
In the past the SNG had filled this role for other reasons, as well as a few others back in the day.
But I had owned a few CRK and have finally come back with a very unique one at that and I am certainly a lifer, but will no doubt own other blades here and there.

That said I would not drop all of your favorites rite away unless you can handle the sebbie first. You may not like it and then you will regret your decision. I would wait until you can afford one and go from there.

Please focus on the questions at hand, "What would you, yourself, do? and why?"

Getting back to the OP, I'd say do it.
That's how I did it. Sold off my PM2 and 943 for a sebenza. Traded that for an SnG, traded that for another sebenza. And then traded it for an umnum.

Great thing about this forum is that you can always buy a sebenza, and you can always sell a sebenza.

This is just my own personal take on this .

Get one knife that you really enjoy and use it exclusively , jettison the rest .
Just please don't let your " One " be a Seb :)

Ken

I think I'd rather have one decent knife than one excellent knife.

The whole idea of a near-perfect knife is flawed. If you expect that one knife is going to perform so well that it could replace all other similar knives, you'll just become dissatisfied when it doesn't.

When you have one decent knife, you don't fret when you realize its limitations - you expect them.

$400 knives are for people who have plenty of knives, not the one-knife man.

The Sebenza is great - most knife people would enjoy using one. But there are certain tasks when an Opinel will work better, and it won't matter that the Sebenza is as good as they could make it and costs forty times more.

I would take the 4, but then again I feel the Sebenza is a bit silly and overpriced. Nothing against those that like them, just not my cup of tea.

You have a decent, well rounded, cary selection as it is. I would keep them, but then I have no intent to ever buy a Sebenza. Its just not what I like in a knife. Ti frame locks aren't my thing anymore.

If your four work for you, and you enjoy them, keep them. Save up for a Sebenza if that is your grail knife. Maybe it will take awhile to get one, but it isn't like Reeve is going to go out of buisness while you save up.

You can get an excellent knife without paying top dollar. The ones you mentioned are all excellent knives...

Upgrading will not give you any performance benefit. What you get is bragging rights and fewer knives in your miscellaneous drawer. :p

I'm more of a one knife person for about 90-95% of the time. I like to have one knife that I really like for almost everything and one or two others that serve more specialized purposes. I say sell only what you have to, to get a used sebenza off the forum. If you like it then great, if not you can sell it for what you paid or trade it for something else and not loose any money.

I'll take 4 decent knives. I like having options. And four knives to fit my mood, attire, location or task is a huge plus for me.

Decent has always been good enough for me.

I am quite a fan of Moras, Vixtorinox, and as of late Opinels.

I have never found a need for a knife that cost more than 200 bucks. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to own, just haven't found it was needed to handle what I use my knives for.

If you compared my response now to my what my answer would have been in 2011 when I first started collecting, it would be very different. At first I was all about quantity, and was buying tons of $60-$100 knives. Now I'm much more concerned about getting a single quality knife. I think the best example is when I sold four ~$300 knives to buy one Marfione Anax. I don't regret that decision at all.

I don't know about getting rid of all of them for a sebenza. At one point I had all of the knives you listed at once and I settled down to my 940 and I got a Umnumzaan cause I had to see what the fuss was about.

It's really nice but in all honesty I cary my 940 the most. It just checks all the boxes. If I was yu I might think about keeping the one you like the best and putting the others towards a sebenza. I found for my tasks the 940 pretty much did everything I needed.

I have gone thorough this with watches as well. I see somthing that is touted as the bees knees by everyone on a forum. I get one and I either bond with it or not. Only you can know what you like. My Zaan is super nice but it's still just a knife. Sometimes people hype stuff up to such levels that others have unrealistic expectations of it.

You have to be careful when asking for advice about high end knives. Usually you will get opinions from people that have never experienced them telling you how bad or overpriced they are. I have owned the ones in your collection and I would choose the Sebenza 25 over them.

I have gone thorough this with watches as well. I see somthing that is touted as the bees knees by everyone on a forum. I get one and I either bond with it or not. Only you can know what you like. My Zaan is super nice but it's still just a knife. Sometimes people hype stuff up to such levels that others have unrealistic expectations of it.

Maybe I'm an oddball. I've tried a Seiko 007, Tag Heuer Aquaracer auto, Rolex Sea Dweller, RGM300, Rolex Submariner... all these leading up to a Rolex Deepsea. That was the one. I'm done. It does everything I want. Size, weight, aesthetics... Perfect.

There was only one time I had 2 watches... and that was for a few months after getting the Deepsea. I sold the Submariner quickly.

This might help...

[video=youtube;BNQULw8E8H0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQULw8E8H0[/video]

Back