Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife?

it always amazes me that if the sebs are so good , why are there so many for sale on the secondhand market ?
They are talked up to be the " one folder to rule them all " yet we usually only hear from the believers , not the sellers .
Just to clarify my position , i was a small seb 21 micarta inserts owner . It was stolen during a burglary and although the monetary loss was hard to take , it was a strange weight off my shoulders knowing i didn't have to pretend anymore .
The prettiest girls don't always make the best wives :)

ken

lmfao

Nope. Bland is exactly it. Because it's the same as every other. Like all iPhoney or all Prius are the same.
The" unique graphic" is a joke. It reminds me of cheesy diamond cut jewelry at flea markets in 1980. Even as a kid I thought it was crap.
Every CRK is the same because the business model is just like CrApple. They tell you what to like and that's your only choice.
So bland is perfect.

What I see in this post: "Only my opinion is correct"

Before I even begin........

My post described why I personally appreciated the design of the sebenza, and you took it upon yourself to tell me that I was wrong:rolleyes:

Yup, makes sense to me!

Let's start.....

They're bland because they're the same as everything else? Right.......

Even if that were true, which knife was the first to look this way? The sebenza.

The minimalistic Ti framelock look was PIONEERED by CRK. Its utterly rediculous to dock the sebenza points for looking the same as everything that copied it decades after it was made......If anything, the looks are "classic", not "bland"

Your Prius and Iphone analogy is similarly rediculous. Each of those is a company in and of itself and their products all look the same within their line up (as they should.....), whereas I think you're trying to make the point that CRKs look too similar to other knives from OTHER companies. In which case, see above.

The analogy only makes sense if you are trying to say that all sebenzas look the same, and even that isn't true. There are a crap ton of different options available from inlays to unique graphics to dealer exclusives.

And even if you took just ONE variation and said all of THOSE were the same......well, yeah........isn't that kinda normal for a design? If one small 21 plain Jane looked different from another, I would be worried about serious quality control issues going on over at the CRK shop......:rolleyes:

Does it also bother you that all satin bladed and black G10 PM2s look the same?? :confused:

So really, I have no idea what you're talking about or how you thought that analogy made any sense....

If your complaint is that there's not enough variety in the CRK lineup, I would point to the fact that there are several other models for people to choose from if they don't like the 21. They can go with the 25, the Ti lock, the umnumzaan, the mnandi...........etc.

They're not "telling you what to like" any more than any other company

If you don't like what they're selling then just go elsewhere to buy your knives. They aren't a huge company like Kershaw that can come out with a zillion different models of knives for you to choose from. But the thing about CRK is that the models they DO make, are made to be the best they can possibly be. They've been continually refined and improved over the decades, even to include the CREATION OF NEW STEELS to be used in them. If that's not dedication to making the best possible profuct, I don't know what is......

Some members really have a hard on against Sebenzas lately. Sheesh.

To the OP...o could go either way. I'd enjoy the variety and different knives, but I'd enjoy the hell out of the Sebenza as well. :D I say keep the ones you have...save up and buy a Sebbie if it's what you want.

FWIW, I have several Sebenzas, and a whole bunch of other knives too.

Nope. No where in what I said remotely suggested that only my opinion matters.
I countered your opinion with mine. That must be foreign to some people. I didn't flame or attack you. It was merely a rebuttal.

Nope. No where in what I said remotely suggested that only my opinion matters.
I countered your opinion with mine. That must be foreign to some people. I didn't flame or attack you. It was merely a rebuttal.

I can guarantee you didn't read more than the first couple lines of my last post.

Just because you have some strange hatred for CRK, doesn't mean you have to make sure everyone else shares your opinion. Some people happen to like their knives. It's not your place to tell them that they are wrong

Nope. Bland is exactly it. Because it's the same as every other. Like all iPhoney or all Prius are the same.
The" unique graphic" is a joke. It reminds me of cheesy diamond cut jewelry at flea markets in 1980. Even as a kid I thought it was crap.
Every CRK is the same because the business model is just like CrApple. They tell you what to like and that's your only choice.
So bland is perfect.

http://media.giphy.com/media/A6H1A9rhetsXK/giphy.gif

I don't care if anyone shares my opinion. A discussion has two or more sides. I'm simply not on yours. Don't get butt hurt.

You don't have to read my posts. Even if I quote something.

When thinking about a Sebenza, it comes down to want not need. If you can afford one and a particular Sebenza yanks your chain, then by all means buy one. I just would rather have two $200 knives than one $400 knife.

This guy is hilarious. He's knocking companies that have shown extreme innovation and created new market segments in their industries because others have gone on to copy them.

Last edited:
I don't care if anyone shares my opinion. A discussion has two or more sides. I'm simply not on yours. Don't get butt hurt.

You don't have to read my posts. Even if I quote something.

Not true. You're arguing your side with condescension and incorrect statements, and you're not even capable of admitting that other knife owners could be perfectly happy with their sebenzas

An opinion looks like this:

"I personally don't like their knives for XYZ valid reasons, but that's fine it YOU do"

What you did looks like this:

"Haha, look at all these delusional morons! There's no way anyone should like sebenzas! All aboard the hype train to hypeville!" *And then insert rediculous reasoning and nonsensical analogies to justify your bizarre aversion to the company*

Yup, just stating your opinion huh?

If the four knives are redundant, I'd rather have a single really nice one. If the four are lets say, a small fixed, a big fixed, a "tactical" folder and a gentlemans small folder... i'd prefer 4.

To the guy that says a crk sebbie is bland or boring, good for you. Tastes are different. Some like flashy, some like bland. Bland can be sexy. It just depends on your viewpoint.

A sebbie IS bland. Even the "fancy" wood or carbon inlay ones. For me, that is even too much. No inlays for me. Just a simple knive, not flashy, no carbon scales or weird blade shapes, no tacticool, no fancy grinds. Just a knife. Built to very good tolerances.

YMMV and that is great.

I see knives as tools. It depends what you are doing. A professional Chef has a set of special knives, a butcher has a set of knives for his trade and so on. I would hold on to the variety that you have and when you feel that you need that one special one buy it.

It always amazes me that if the Sebs are so good , why are there so many for sale on the secondhand market ?
They are talked up to be the " one folder to rule them all " yet we usually only hear from the believers , not the sellers .

Ken

According to some, the reason why you see them constantly on the secondary market is because those people just weren't perceptive enough to detect the amazingly tight tolerances and perfection in fit and finish. Or those people were simply inexperienced, ignorant people who don't have the "keen eye" it takes to appreciate what actual quality is.

Oh, and the experienced knifeowners who claim they don't see the Sebenza's perfection? Why, they're just coming down with a bad case of sour grapes.

For anyone considering liquidating their knives for a Sebenza - if you have medium to large sized hands, try out the knife at a knife store or a show. The concave sweep of the frame gives the knife very particular ergonomics that you don't really find on a lot of modern folders; you might want to try out before you commit.

Last edited:
Sebenzas certainly have a way of getting on some people's nerves. :D This is only my opinion of course and does little to necessarily reflect reality. :D

CH9220A.png

Prison has made me pretty flame resistant. Thanks for your targeted attack. May I have another.

Back