Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife?

I've seen too many threads about problems with expensive knives of almost every brand including CRK to expect perfection. It's just another knife. If you like plain titanium and S30V class steel a Sage 2 will get you that for way cheaper. This idea that you have to spend $400 for a quality knife that lasts is hilarious. In years on here I doubt I've ever seen a knife that was actually used up and needing to be retired. Even 100 year old slipjoints are still getting used. Don't buy into the marketing hype. Try to use a knife until it wears out. You aren't going to get 4x the use out of a Sebenza.

If you're hurtin for a Seb, my advice would be to go for it, but keep at least one other. God forbid you sell your collection for one high end knife, and end up breaking or losing it. Two is one and one is none.
As it's been said, you'll never know until you have it, but I could never have only one knife.

Well, it depends. If the expensive knife you really really want is some kind of limited edition/graphic model, you might want to snap it up before the opportunity is gone. Otherwise, I'd say hang on to your current collection, be patient, and save up for that spendy knife. It's good to have options; variety is the spice of life.

Good luck, Sam! :)

-Brett

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the poor, inexperienced OP just isn't ready to join the upper echelons of knife appreciators yet. Wouldn't want those sublime tolerances, fit and finish to go unappreciated, now would we. Especially since said tolerances, fit and finish are indeed miles beyond that of ZT and Spyderco.

In response, I would take the 4 knives listed over a Sebenza. I have chosen differently, but my choices are consistant with your mid-level approach. I still like some of the lesser priced knives. But to each his/her own. The added fit and finish does not justify the price of Sebenzas in general for me.

This idea that you have to spend $400 for a quality knife that lasts is hilarious.

I agree. Considering that I own and use some knives that are 30 years old, I don't see the point myself.

Okay I'm done knocking the boring Sebenza. LOL

There's simply no such thing as a perfect anything. It would be wierd to only have one pair or even kind of shirt and pants. Rain man.
So how could there be one knife. Everyone has one they throw in their pocket the most, just not exclusive. No way a drop point can replace a Harpy strapped to a floatation vest. I prefer big blades, but feel wierd cutting tags of stuff at a cash register with a 4" knife. LOL
I change knives like I change shoes, several times a day.
Save and buy. If you just can't bring yourself to carry your other Knives sell them as reimbursement.

Thats not what I said at all. I said that newer enthusiasts likely won't be able to appreciate the extra bits of awesomeness that give the sebenza it's premium price, so they're better off getting knives like ZTs and spydies which have a clearer connection between the prices and the end products.

Sebenzas aren't going to represent a good value to someone who doesn't appreciate the finer points. They will APPEAR bland and overpriced to anyone who doesn't know or care about the extra perfection and tighter tolerences, thus causing disappointment.

I know and care about perfection & tolerances. Sebenzas are bland. If I ask a kid to draw a pocketknife it's going to look a lot like a Sebenza.
Overpriced? Eh, whatever you're willing to pay for what you want.

Thanks, all. Some really helpful thougts here. I reckon I'll save for a Sebenza but wait to sell my others. If I love the Sebenza so much I never carry the others, I'm the kind of guy to sell them off. Thanks for all the advice.

I say the 4 decent knives. At one time it was all about quantity for me. I got on a huge Spyderco kick and had to have every single model that interested me, at least 15 or so, but in the end I hate seeing stuff sitting around not getting used and that's exactly what was happening.

So even after I stated here that I could never see myself carrying and using a Sebenza (I refused to EVER spend more than $150 on a knife) there came a point where I had to scratch the itch, so I took 3 Spydercos that filled the same role (small EDCs on the nicer side) and sold them to fund a small plain 21 and had money left over. For me, it turned out to be worth it and ended up selling, buying, and trading various CRKs to try them all out to see what worked for me. I don't think they're anything special that makes angels sing and allows me to walk on water for having it, but I like them and you know, sometimes that's OK. I enjoy carrying, using, sharpening, and just fondling them, but I can say the exact same about a PM2 feeling how buttery smooth mine is. I just like and enjoy all different kinds of knives.

I still like having the variety though. Different knives fill different niches. Down to 3 Spydercos which are heavy workers because they cut beautifully, what a knife is intended to do. Got some Benchmades that were gifts that have sentimental value that are fun to use and fill other niches like the Adamas which is an amazing knife.

In short, don't let others tell you what you need to do with your knives like whoever told you to sell them all to get a Sebenza. You will know if you ever really want to scratch that itch. Maybe save a few dollars here and there and pick one up used and save a hundred bucks which is what I recommend. No knife is perfect and was not created to suit everyone's wants or needs. The subjective detail here and there that's important to one guy may not matter to someone else. The knife hobby is kind of a journey rather than a sprint. Everyone's taste evolves as they experience more knives, no need to rush, it's just part of the fun.

I'm pretty new to spending real money on knives. I like to own usable, reliable, quality knives, and I like to carry them and use them for kitchen, utility, and camping--and to feel prepared for various unlikely scenarios. I've been buying and trading for about a year and have settled on a few knives I think are pretty decent, which I rotate for EDC: BM 940, Spyderco PM2, ZT 0566 and ZT 0801. Its been suggested to me that I would be better off selling them all and investing in a Sebenza...just one really good knife to carry everyday and love. Any of you ever make that decision? Did you regret it?
Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam,

In the end it really comes down to what kind of person you are I think. If you need and appreciate variation in your life then it would be a safe guess that you'll also prefer to have variation in your pocket, so to speak. Hence, carrying one knife all day, every day will probably end up boring you. Even if it's a gold-inlayed 3.000 dollar Terzuola with a Siberian tiger's tail as a lanyard.

But if you like stability, certainty or just don't want to take more time choosing a knife than your wife takes choosing which pair of shoes(yup) then by all means go for a more than "pretty decent" model.

I ended up getting a Sebenza but I catch myself still picking up my Kershaw Leek or even the old Opinel instead sometimes. I don't regret buying the Sebenza tho'. It's a much appreciated part of the collection now.

Thanks, all. Some really helpful thougts here. I reckon I'll save for a Sebenza but wait to sell my others. If I love the Sebenza so much I never carry the others, I'm the kind of guy to sell them off. Thanks for all the advice.

Excellent solution!:thumbup:

You really have to try a sebenza first before fully committing to it. You may not like what you get, and then what?

You got the $? Buy what you like :thumbup: Personally I'll take the 4. Held and played with a CRK years ago at a SoCal knife show. Bought a few quality knives instead. Personal choice is what it's all about:)

"Would you rather have 4 really decent knives or one excellent knife?"

yes. :D

Seriously though, as much as I'd prefer the excellent knife over all others in general, I'm not one to put all of my eggs in one basket... I'd hate to potentially be knifeless if that one breaks or is lost.

More importantly, I have different knives that serve different functions, since there is no one knife that handles everything perfectly.

My guess is that you already were planning on buying a Sebenza. A lot of threads are like that. The thread OP mentions a couple knives he might be interested in and requests other options, and then goes right back to one of the ones he was initially considering.

I don't normally rotate that much so I would say one or two good ones.

To the OP, I've been in your position before, and I would say keep your knives and save up for a sebenza. Then you have all your old goodies and a nice premium knife to satisfy your craving. I've never been a patient person so when I wanted a sebbie I wanted it immediately so I sold off some knives that were in my EDC rotation that I missed not long after letting them go. But the sebenza is a great knife and worth the price especially a preowned one from here on the forums. So my advice is be patient and your patience will be rewarded! :D

I know and care about perfection & tolerances. Sebenzas are bland. If I ask a kid to draw a pocketknife it's going to look a lot like a Sebenza.
Overpriced? Eh, whatever you're willing to pay for what you want.

Aesthetics are very subjective, so I can't argue that the looks of the sebenza are for everyone......But in terms of design as it pertains to function, maybe a better word than "bland" is "practically designed"

It doesn't have any funky shapes or crazy design features, but that's what makes it a great ALL AROUND Edc, which is what it was always intended to be. It's a jack of all trades folder IMO, and I like that about it.

But now we're getting into the debate between "should I get one knife that can do everything sorta ok, or several task-specific knives?"........ And there is no universal answer to that question, it's just what you personally prefer.

I've chosen to go for the jack of all trades sebenza for daily carry, but I still keep my more task-specific knives so that I have them if I should need them. Seems like a good solution to me, and it's worked quite well so far

This is actually an interesting topic to me. I've been mulling it over between morning activities today.

I think the approach that strikes me as the "best" is something I heard from another poster here. I would love to give credit, if I could remember who it was. Basically, set a number of knives and try to stay at or below that number. I think the person I heard this from said they go with 10. Once you hit your number, one has to leave to make space for new stuff. This keeps a bit of variety but also helps manage the amount of money tied up. It also naturally encourages moving things to fund a "better" thing.

A side benefit: if you have 10 that you love, but still find yourself carrying the same thing every day, you'll probably be ok moving a bunch.

I like it because of the planning and research part. It makes the hunt especially fun.

It's hard to beat a Sebenza, but you can buy a barely-used large or small Sebbie for $325 here just about every day. I'd probably keep the PM2; sell the others and try out the Sebbie. You'll never rest until you try one.

I agree with this advice. I would not sell the whole lot of knives that you have just to get one "good" one. That one knife might turn out to be on that you do not like very much. I would keep the one you like the most out of your current setup and sell the rest to fund a used Sebenza. Or better yet, keep using your current knives and save a little to pickup one later on. Thats what I would do if it were me.

maybe a better word than "bland" is "practically designed"

Nope. Bland is exactly it. Because it's the same as every other. Like all iPhoney or all Prius are the same.
The" unique graphic" is a joke. It reminds me of cheesy diamond cut jewelry at flea markets in 1980. Even as a kid I thought it was crap.
Every CRK is the same because the business model is just like CrApple. They tell you what to like and that's your only choice.
So bland is perfect.

It always amazes me that if the Sebs are so good , why are there so many for sale on the secondhand market ?
They are talked up to be the " one folder to rule them all " yet we usually only hear from the believers , not the sellers .
Just to clarify my position , I was a small Seb 21 Micarta inserts owner . It was stolen during a burglary and although the monetary loss was hard to take , it was a strange weight off my shoulders knowing I didn't have to pretend anymore .
The prettiest girls don't always make the best wives :)

Ken

Back