Your favorite Military of all-time

Wolverine,

I am right there with you on that 204P version, but I dont feel like I have carried the new S90V yet to make a fair desicion about which is better. I am gonna have to give it 4-6 weeks to make an educated decision

I agree, I haven't carried the S90V much yet either. But I will.

I'm happy to own both.

My 204P is also smoother over all, flicks open lightening fast (well, I'm embellishing a bit), "thawks" with authority and drops more freely. However, none of these detract my love and devotion to the S90V. It's like having two great GFs who are poly, love to coexist and play nicely :D

About 22 months ago I found the "Love Of My Knife Life">> that is my current favorite EDC which is my Digital Camo, M390 MILITARY model. Oh there might be blade steels that test out just a little better but M390 to this date has been my favorite EDC blade steel period. What I would do for a C-60 Ayoob model with M390 blade steel>> Hint, Hint

Cruwear, CTS-204P, S90V, CTS-XHP in that order, though I have an M390 coming...

Even though I posted earlier in the thread declaring the M390 Military model to be my all time favorite C-36 Military model. I do have a less valuable but heavy sentimental favorite version of the C-36 Military. The much older late 1990s era unit that I owned for years is the Spyderedged 440V version>> they didn't make the C-36 Military for a very long time in full Spyderedge but I'm here to tell all of you that it was truly one of my better serrated edge folders I ever owned.

There are not a lot of guys I've talked tot over the years that had the priviledge of owning a serrated/Spyderedged C-36 Military model. I've heard a lot of Spyderco fans in the past 3 years talking a lot about wanting a Sprint Run, Spyderedged Military model>> believe me a lot of people would like to see a fully serrated Military model brought back. It was a very aggressive folder I can assure you.

JD, I have a 440V full SE C36 and yes, it's an awesome knife.

(It's also an awesome PITA to sharpen, but it's worth the trouble.)

JD, I have a 440V full SE C36 and yes, it's an awesome knife.

(It's also an awesome PITA to sharpen, but it's worth the trouble.)

Oh BROTHER!! you've got that right>> 440V is a literal monster to sharpen. As I've said in two of my more recent posts that 440V is one of my Top 3 worst blade steels to sharpen. Because of it's unique heat treatment and high vanadium content it is truly a form of punishment to sharpen a 440V. But when you've got it sharp you can rely on it for a long time before it needs tuning up.

I'm unfamiliar with 440V. Is it not in production anymore? Or has it evolved into another steel with another name?

Its the same as S60V. I believe S60V started as 440 with Vanadium added. If I recall correctly they changed the name to get away from the 440 stigma.

I think S90V is 420V.

Not a fan of clipped carry, and the Military is too big to ride comfortably at the bottom of my back pocket. Most are wrong handed, to boot. So my favorite is the one I consider the most collectible, the 2000 Spyderco Forum version...

2000_spyderco_forum_military.jpg

Not a fan of clipped carry, and the Military is too big to ride comfortably at the bottom of my back pocket. Most are wrong handed, to boot. So my favorite is the one I consider the most collectible, the 2000 Spyderco Forum version...

2000_spyderco_forum_military.jpg
Yes please.

I'm unfamiliar with 440V. Is it not in production anymore? Or has it evolved into another steel with another name?

440V/S60V was discontinued a long time ago. Crazy wear-resistant. In spite of my extreme fondness for mine, in real life S90V and some other more recent steels are probably better all-around.

Three favorites:

1. Most used--440V SE (have several). Like a cross between a workhorse Cyldesdale and the Energizer Bunny, a robust cutter that keeps goin' and goin' and goin'. And I don't mind sharpening 440V SE, even with half-round and round slipstones of proper radii. (sometimes 'just' the SharpMaker.)

2. CF/ BG42. Sentimental, maybe? Used it for a looong time as favored PE Millie.

3. 204P from KW. Wow, what a well-balanced champ for my needs from the "new" steels. The subdued green G10 is a pleasing departure from black, and not as flashy as orange, blue etc.

So my favorite is the one I consider the most collectible, the 2000 Spyderco Forum version...

Favorite of all time, NO. Collectible and hard to find, theeeee most IMO.

Paul, let me know when I can send you my address for this, and that blue Spyderhawk of yours. just give me some time to go take a second mortgage.... :)

Such a great hard to find knife. !!!!!

I need to google some of these older Militaries. Like the BG42.

And what was the first year the Military was produced?

I've been carrying my S90V/CF/Ti lately. It's really nice. I like it. But I just like my 204P more. A lot more.

As was mentioned above , the KW green G10/204P is perfect for me in everway. And to think I picked it up just to tide me over until the release of the S90V/CF/Ti. Now the 204P is my favorite. Funny how things turn out sometimes.

Back