2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

I am not unhappy with either of my Stockman 82s. Once I got over the unexceptional stag, I recognized how comfortable and solid it is in hand and opted not to exchange it. My elderberry is one heck of a handsome knife, I love the coloring and shield choice. I'd say that my elderberry has better action than my stag, a bit more snappy and the pulls are ever so slightly stronger.

However, I do concur with the statements regarding the rough jigging. I thought nothing of it at first, simply thinking it would wear smooth over time. After seeing similar observations from others here, I figured it couldn't be normal, or at least it shouldn't be expected. I suspect it will still smooth with time and use but I am beginning to wonder at GEC's jigging processes. I hope we aren't going to be seeing a trend towards mediocre jigging in the future.

Any chance we could include 82 and Possum Skinner in the thread title? Make it easier to search.

I love this knife, really nice. Well done. :thumbsup:

GEC_Micarta_35_43_82_009.jpg

GEC_Micarta_35_43_82_014.jpg
GEC_Micarta_35_43_82_010.jpg

Had one of the Elderberry's on pre-order and decided,
after seeing and reading lots of good things about the micarta version in this thread, to double up.
I had been a little disappointed about the spring action of the 2017 models I received,
so I paused a while buying GEC's till the Possum Skinners came out.
Luckily the pull and snap on these knives are great!
They can be opened gently but still have a nice resistance and a satisfying snap when closed.
In the open position the blades stay solid and the springs give a good resistance,
which is very important to me, when talking about good spring action.
The handle materials both feel very nice and comfortable.
The micarta smooth and warm, the Elderberry Bone with a symmetrical flow on the jigging style,
a little bit thicker, with more grip.
The UnXLd shield on the Northfield reminded me of one of my earliest Great Eastern Knives from 2011,
also the Hot Dog shield has been used for some years and felt familiar to me.
I received one Possum button on my Northfield and none with the Tidioute.

64zjs9J.jpg

Always nice to have some sun relflection...
4r0DjhN.jpg

I’ve held off on these even though they are awfully appealing. A year from now when I’m contemplating paying above retail I’ll regret it. When the 98 camp knife came out I said the same thing. Good looking knifes guys

Weren’t those 98s about $130? I recall at the time baulking at their price.

More like $160.00. Even more for Charlie’s SFO. I ordered four. My wallet took a beating.

Why is that I used to buy Sebenzas and Striders when I was into tactical knives, and never complained about the prices. But now that I’m into traditionals, I freak out if I pay more than $125.00?

Thank you for modifying the name of the thread :thumbsup:

Another picture. Here is an example of the color change you can expect from the natural canvas micarta with use over time :) They once looked very much the same. Hint: take lots of pictures now, it's fun to look back later.

GEC_Micarta_35_43_82_018.jpg

Got it today, with a possible fixed companion:
2uqI4nC.jpg

zDGR3TC.jpg

VxwsocX.jpg

Zcrk5DC.jpg

flL3JmU.jpg

A bit obtuse angles, so had to spend some time with the Edgepro (as usual) to get it down to about 15 deg pr side (sat the Edgepro to 18 deg, but with the small knife attachment).

Slices toilet paper now, has a good pull, need some lubrication to get the action perfect. I really like this one!

More like $160.00. Even more for Charlie’s SFO. I ordered four. My wallet took a beating.

Why is that I used to buy Sebenzas and Striders when I was into tactical knives, and never complained about the prices. But now that I’m into traditionals, I freak out if I pay more than $125.00?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison to the 66, man those seem so small now lol.

Last edited:
Difficult to say as they are cam tang knives with no half-stop, the Eureka & 48 have half stops and will feel more 'abrupt' tougher. I like the pull on the 82, it's right for the kind of knife it is but I confess to bias, I always prefer smooth opening knives to half-stop ones:cool:

It's called value re-focus ;):D:D

It's cold as ever this morning in Kitchener, Ontario, but the sun is shining through my window. So I snapped a pic of my #82 Dixie Stockman keeping company with some of his large stockman buddies.

From left to right: Western 742 C, Queen #9 CZ, Remington R3553, the #82, MooreMaker 5304 (2003), Case 6375 CV, and Buck 307. Only the Western is in my EDC rotation.

Brian

X0cliF4.jpg

Back