1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Buzzbait, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I am not unhappy with either of my Stockman 82s. Once I got over the unexceptional stag, I recognized how comfortable and solid it is in hand and opted not to exchange it. My elderberry is one heck of a handsome knife, I love the coloring and shield choice. I'd say that my elderberry has better action than my stag, a bit more snappy and the pulls are ever so slightly stronger.

However, I do concur with the statements regarding the rough jigging. I thought nothing of it at first, simply thinking it would wear smooth over time. After seeing similar observations from others here, I figured it couldn't be normal, or at least it shouldn't be expected. I suspect it will still smooth with time and use but I am beginning to wonder at GEC's jigging processes. I hope we aren't going to be seeing a trend towards mediocre jigging in the future.

Will Power and DelOro like this.
  2. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Any chance we could include 82 and Possum Skinner in the thread title? Make it easier to search.

I love this knife, really nice. Well done. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001

Done!!!

4. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    This pic is already in a couple of other threads but what the hey...

[​IMG]

5. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    @Jsega51, that picture looks like advertising copy, almost like you are inside a Cabelas store ice fishing display!

Jsega51 likes this.
  6. Jsega51

Feb 11, 2015
    Notice the pretzel bite in the middle hole? Chumming the water :D

redsparrow and Buzzbait like this.
  7. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    Had one of the Elderberry's on pre-order and decided,
    after seeing and reading lots of good things about the micarta version in this thread, to double up.
    I had been a little disappointed about the spring action of the 2017 models I received,
    so I paused a while buying GEC's till the Possum Skinners came out.
    Luckily the pull and snap on these knives are great!
    They can be opened gently but still have a nice resistance and a satisfying snap when closed.
    In the open position the blades stay solid and the springs give a good resistance,
    which is very important to me, when talking about good spring action.
    The handle materials both feel very nice and comfortable.
    The micarta smooth and warm, the Elderberry Bone with a symmetrical flow on the jigging style,
    a little bit thicker, with more grip.
    The UnXLd shield on the Northfield reminded me of one of my earliest Great Eastern Knives from 2011,
    also the Hot Dog shield has been used for some years and felt familiar to me.
    I received one Possum button on my Northfield and none with the Tidioute.

[​IMG]
    Always nice to have some sun relflection...
    [​IMG]

BuckShack, Pomsbz, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  8. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I’ve held off on these even though they are awfully appealing. A year from now when I’m contemplating paying above retail I’ll regret it. When the 98 camp knife came out I said the same thing. Good looking knifes guys

jodapop and JohnDF like this.
  9. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Weren’t those 98s about $130? I recall at the time baulking at their price.

L.H.S likes this.
  10. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    More like $160.00. Even more for Charlie’s SFO. I ordered four. My wallet took a beating.

Why is that I used to buy Sebenzas and Striders when I was into tactical knives, and never complained about the prices. But now that I’m into traditionals, I freak out if I pay more than $125.00?

L.H.S, Ramrodmb, tmd_87 and 1 other person like this.
  11. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you for modifying the name of the thread :thumbsup:

Another picture. Here is an example of the color change you can expect from the natural canvas micarta with use over time :) They once looked very much the same. Hint: take lots of pictures now, it's fun to look back later.

[​IMG]

nifebrite, jwb01, jodapop and 4 others like this.
  12. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    Got it today, with a possible fixed companion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bit obtuse angles, so had to spend some time with the Edgepro (as usual) to get it down to about 15 deg pr side (sat the Edgepro to 18 deg, but with the small knife attachment).

Slices toilet paper now, has a good pull, need some lubrication to get the action perfect. I really like this one!

BuckShack, nifebrite, tmd_87 and 5 others like this.
  13. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  14. Jsega51

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks for the comparison to the 66, man those seem so small now lol.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  15. Coonskinner

Coonskinner

Mar 28, 2001
    Are the pulls on these knives similar to the Eureka Jacks and the #48s?

16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Difficult to say as they are cam tang knives with no half-stop, the Eureka & 48 have half stops and will feel more 'abrupt' tougher. I like the pull on the 82, it's right for the kind of knife it is but I confess to bias, I always prefer smooth opening knives to half-stop ones:cool:

Jsega51 likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's called value re-focus ;):D:D

JohnDF likes this.
  18. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    3blade was around 135; 4blade around 160

19. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    If you like the pulls on the 48s you'll probably like the pulls on the Possum Skinner. They are similar pull strength, of course the 82s have no half-stop.

[​IMG]

BuckShack, GE Jr, pmek5 and 5 others like this.
  20. BrianB43

BrianB43 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 5, 2010
    It's cold as ever this morning in Kitchener, Ontario, but the sun is shining through my window. So I snapped a pic of my #82 Dixie Stockman keeping company with some of his large stockman buddies.

From left to right: Western 742 C, Queen #9 CZ, Remington R3553, the #82, MooreMaker 5304 (2003), Case 6375 CV, and Buck 307. Only the Western is in my EDC rotation.

Brian

[​IMG]