2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Could be...;) But I can't really fault them on their single-spring prowess, the 33,35,57,68s I have are all excellent so I think they wanted to try their hand at another tricky Pen. If they did a 3 3/8 shrunken Dixie as a Forum Knife or ANY knife then I'd be approaching Knirvarna :D

Nice Will, glad you like it.

It is interesting that GEC produced the possum skinner so soon after the Buck 2018 forum knife. Can’t help but wonder if they were trying to make a point.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. If the possum skinner had been on the ballot, instead of just the 14, we might have ended up with a very different forum knife.

Nice Will, glad you like it.

It is interesting that GEC produced the possum skinner so soon after the Buck 2018 forum knife. Can’t help but wonder if they were trying to make a point.
My thoughts exactly....but I didn't want to say anything...haha

I got my #82 Possum Skinner in Natural Canvas Micarta today. It's a nice knife and will make a great user. My favorite thing is the thinness, especially of the blades. This knife slices like a demon, and has some great blade shapes for EDC uses.

I have made a video on it, and comparing it to the 82 Dixie Stock Knife:

As well as a video on the 2018 #82 Dixie Stock Knife in Sambar Stag compared to one from 2014 in Indian Paint Brush Jigged Bone:

I hope it's okay to post links to my videos every now and then like this.

41xEZZG.jpg

You know, this would make an excellent FORUM KNIFE in say Ivory Bone or Burgundy Micarta with a special shield- Diamond would be my choice. But I don't suppose it will get the nod :rolleyes:

I'd be in for a Possum Skinner forum knife! That's two votes now. :)

I'd be in for a Possum Skinner forum knife! That's two votes now. :)

Well let's be honest, with so-called democracies these days it's often highly convenient to ignore or defy election or referendum results;) Then demand another vote as the first was 'stolen' or 'misunderstood' :rolleyes: So our two votes could morph into two MILLION overnight :D:D;)

Whatever, I'm well pleased with the Skinner, it's a beautiful knife. The Stockman version has brilliant blade selection, no doubt fogeys and other 'purists' looked askance at deviating from the 'norm' or 'traditional' 3 blade stock knives. "Must have this, must not have that, according to this book they never existed" etc etc:rolleyes: I can remember all manner of bayings in 2008/9 when the then Forum Knife was having a Wharncliffe secondary. Proper Barlows never had this, it's not to be taken seriously ra ra. It worked and it worked brilliantly, then came along Northfield Barlows to huge acclaim ;) Likewise, with Tony Bose's Wharncliffe Trapper, purists might have been ruffled, but they didn't dare speak out when a Big Gun is behind the design:D Patterns, use and interpretation constantly evolve, if a knife works well and looks good with new blade arrangements it's a step forward in my book. The Dixie Stockman/Skinner is actual proof of this:cool:

I agree totally, and am so pleased that I let this forum convince me into buying a Dixie Stockman. I have only had it a week and this blade set up is, for me, one of the best I have owned. The Turkish clip is very comprable to a standard clip. The drop point in lue of the of the spey, brilliant, I have never needed to neuter an animal in my life. If I do I will grab one of my true stockmans. Finally the warncliff is the first blade on a pocket knife that I have been able to carve wood with. It is thiner than most blades and I reshaped the edge below 17°, now it glides through the wood.

Well let's be honest, with so-called democracies these days it's often highly convenient to ignore or defy election or referendum results;) Then demand another vote as the first was 'stolen' or 'misunderstood' :rolleyes: So our two votes could morph into two MILLION overnight :D:D;)

Whatever, I'm well pleased with the Skinner, it's a beautiful knife. The Stockman version has brilliant blade selection, no doubt fogeys and other 'purists' looked askance at deviating from the 'norm' or 'traditional' 3 blade stock knives. "Must have this, must not have that, according to this book they never existed" etc etc:rolleyes: I can remember all manner of bayings in 2008/9 when the then Forum Knife was having a Wharncliffe secondary. Proper Barlows never had this, it's not to be taken seriously ra ra. It worked and it worked brilliantly, then came along Northfield Barlows to huge acclaim ;) Likewise, with Tony Bose's Wharncliffe Trapper, purists might have been ruffled, but they didn't dare speak out when a Big Gun is behind the design:D Patterns, use and interpretation constantly evolve, if a knife works well and looks good with new blade arrangements it's a step forward in my book. The Dixie Stockman/Skinner is actual proof of this:cool:

How do you like the pulls, Will?

I find them spot-on actually, being a non half-stop, cam-tang knife they feel smooth and properly matched. Let's see what the Stockman Elderberry is like, should be here at long last on Monday:cool:

But as I wrote earlier, this is an impressive, imposing pattern with very clever blade arrangement and yet it's no dead weight in the pocket:thumbsup:

Quick review of the Elderberry Stockman.

It's not nearly as good as the Micarta Skinner is my assessment, nor as stellar as the first run in Blackwood from 2014. Points of observation: frankly weak snap on all three blades despite washing out and oiling. This certainly contrasts with the 2014 which has crisp W&T.

Then there's the bone- Yes the colour is good and rich, but there are a lot of very sharp and slightly flaky bits to it, certainly it will wear off with pocket carry but it catches on cloths etc, annoyingly. The jigging itself is rather tyre tread like yes which I think is more in the Rough Rider league. Nothing wrong with that at RR prices but not at this level, not good enough have to say.

Otherwise, good qualities, it looks attractive feels right in the hand apart from splintery bone..no blade rub or play but overall it does not grab me like the Skinner Micarta does which is a brilliant knife and very pleasing. I might come round to this one in time, but for now, it's a Tube Tenant;)

Will, I have the two-blade Possum Skinner in the elderberry, and the jigging on mine is exactly as you state, sharp and catchy. I may have to Tube Inter mine as well. I've had 4 or 5 Dixies from the earlier run, still have a blackwood and a stag, and I thought all were better built and with nicer covers and styling than the current run. The stag in particular seems mundane on these newer ones, although any that were strong probably got snapped up before I started looking at them.

My copperhead bone stockman has similar sharp bits on the jigging as well. Im ok with it as im carrying it and it will smooth out. My snap has improved some from cleaning and use, especially on the drop point which was kind of soft/sluggish. All the blades are feeling similar in pull and snap now.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this small nuance: when closing the clip from the open position, just as the spring tension is released, it kind of feels like a little "stop". As in like a half stop, sort of. Between this point and about a 90 degees is a bit sluggish. Its a smooth but not fluid action right there, as if the bolster was squeezed just enough to provide some resistance. If that "squeezed resistance" wasnt there, the blade might flop around freely in that position. Anyway might be splitting hairs and my descriptions arent professional by any means, but was curious about those actions. Cheers

My copperhead bone stockman has similar sharp bits on the jigging as well. Im ok with it as im carrying it and it will smooth out. My snap has improved some from cleaning and use, especially on the drop point which was kind of soft/sluggish. All the blades are feeling similar in pull and snap now.

I've been carrying/using mine for almost three weeks and my overall experience is similar to yours. :)

It's a Fantastic Knife! :D

- Del

TRNEa4W.jpg

Quick review of the Elderberry Stockman.

It's not nearly as good as the Micarta Skinner is my assessment, nor as stellar as the first run in Blackwood from 2014. Points of observation: frankly weak snap on all three blades despite washing out and oiling. This certainly contrasts with the 2014 which has crisp W&T.

Then there's the bone- Yes the colour is good and rich, but there are a lot of very sharp and slightly flaky bits to it, certainly it will wear off with pocket carry but it catches on cloths etc, annoyingly. The jigging itself is rather tyre tread like yes which I think is more in the Rough Rider league. Nothing wrong with that at RR prices but not at this level, not good enough have to say.

Otherwise, good qualities, it looks attractive feels right in the hand apart from splintery bone..no blade rub or play but overall it does not grab me like the Skinner Micarta does which is a brilliant knife and very pleasing. I might come round to this one in time, but for now, it's a Tube Tenant;)

Will,

Ditto! ;) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

On the other hand, the #82 Elderberry Possum Skinner is quite exceptional in all aspects! :D:D

- Del

7RdJIJL.jpg

Yes, interesting that many others' experience of the Stockman concurs with mine. Rather disappointed to be honest. The original 2014 model is far ahead of its newer incarnation

However, The Skinner rules:D Going to be hard to find a knife that tops it for originality, looks and build this year:cool::thumbsup:

Back