2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Buck. A half stockman would be right up my alley, perhaps not everyone's cup of tea though ...

Thanks to everyone putting their effort into this!

I haven't voted yet but I will. Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to Mike, Steve, Gary, Frank, Leslie, Dadpool, and everyone else who contributed to making this year's forum knife a reality.

Thanks so much, guys!

Absolutely this! Thanks for staying in the hot seat despite some....spirited conversations!

No doubt we'll have a worthy knife whichever manufacturer wins!:cool::thumbsup:

Big thanks to those who have handled the direct contact with the manufactures, and to all of the mods and Spark for letting this happen instead of just shutting it down when things get heated!

this looks good to me -- and I'm pretty sure every forum knife I've purchased was a pre-pay at time of order.

Knife from the Custom Shop built on a 301 frame.
2 blades
CPM154
full flat grind
Bolsters - no preference on material
Choice of handle materials - this will be a fun discussion.
Scales with pins, or not - no preference.
Medallion shield or no shield - fine with either, prefer no shield
Two dot tang stamp
wood box

thanks to all who are making this a reality!

Buck 301
2 blades (Clip & Sheepsfoot) of flat ground CPM154
Brass bolsters
Unsure about handle scale options - looking at custom shop options, maybe the Buckeye Burlwood.

This was a tough decision as it is possible the Buck knife that is constructed is one I don't particularly want (stockman) but I'm also not particularly excited about a 14 unless there is a caplifter and it's not apparent that's even an option. Plus there will be plenty of 14s to go around. So for now Buck unless the caplifter becomes or is a real option.

Last edited:
I keep seeing reference to the two dot tang stamp, what’s the story on that? Is it in reference to the two dot Bucks from the 70’s?
My understanding is that, in 2010, the Forum knife added ten dots to the tang stamp, and has removed one each year, a la the 70s case dating system. There are two dots left on the ten year cycle. Those who have been there all along, understandably, are looking to complete the cycle.

Would love 3 blade first choice but 2 bl. not a deal breaker buck 301 with micarta handles,seen them on some other bucks they always look superb-but I will suppt. with the flock...come on homies 3 blades please.

My understanding is that, in 2010, the Forum knife added ten dots to the tang stamp, and has removed one each year, a la the 70s case dating system. There are two dots left on the ten year cycle. Those who have been there all along, understandably, are looking to complete the cycle.

Thank you. That clears it up for me.

I voted. I am in for either one. I own (way) too many GECs and Bucks as it stands now, so one more isn't going to hurt. And thanks to Mike and Steve for the options!

I voted for Buck! The Buck option gives us a chance to get something special and not otherwise available. The 301 is my favorite Buck, especially the ones from the Camillus era. It also gives me personally the opportunity to get something that I would probably never have gotten before. The #14 will be readily available in a variety of options. My vote in no way changes how I feel about Great Eastern Cutlery. But a vote for the Buck option just feels right for me at this time!

I'm voting for the Buck. I love GEC, but we need to spread the love around a bit with the forum knife, and I don't think I can take another Barlow. That being said, Buck stockmen are typically high in snooze factor as far as I'm concerned, so I'm hoping and praying that we get a 2-blade version with some pretty cool handle material, FFG, and interesting blade combo. Oh and a good, but relatively easy-to-sharpen blade steel! Oh, and one more edit - it needs the two dot tang stamp - we gotta try to see this through!

I'm not voting my preference. The first reason is I might not purchase the 2018 forum knife and secondly, I am comfortable with which ever manufacturer (and knife) option is selected. If money is tight at about the time when the order is to be made, I might opt out of buying. I usually regret this; but that's life.

Generally speaking, I favor GEC made stuff. But I don't own a Buck slip joint. So, if the Buck is chosen and I get the knife, it will expand my horizons a little. I really like the little GEC #14 knives as I own two. Both have two blades. So, I definitely prefer the choice to have more than one blade whichever knife is chosen.

Back