#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

What makes you think it’s a strainer? Can you show an example of a similarly designed strainer?
It’s called the bar tool knife not the hipster grooming knife. Plus it does the job of a strainer when needed.
C6BdTb4.jpg

If im lucky enough to be able to snag one, ill be using the brrt for all sorts of things, strainer will be one of them. Theres a less chance ill be running it through my beard though. But ill put it to work whenever i see somewhere it could be used.

Oh, I didn't say you couldn't use your knife as you wish, you most certainly can. Just that it's original purpose is a beard rake, not even a comb.
The BRRT name was done in fun. It wasn’t intended for that.

Well, I can say that this silly knife has become an instant favorite. Let's see, I used every single tool this weekend. I opened some mail and boxes with the knife, opened many bottles of beer at a bottle share I was at, used the fork to stab a couple pieces of sharp cheddar from the board, and lastly, yes, I combed my beard with the BRR. I love this knife, and am glad it's not a Beer Scout. Bigger, nicer blade, more tools, and for me, more useful. My Ebony should be in hand this week, but it'll most likely be relegated to my safe queen collection while the Micarta continues to ride along on weekend adventures.

Oh, almost forgot. Everyone I showed it to wanted one, and more than a few of the guys aren't even knife folks. They just recognize a neat thing when they see it. For the record, I ran into exactly zero people who were like "GEC MADE THAT?! WHAT A LAUGHINGSTOCK! NO ONE WILL TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY EVER AGAIN!" The only downside was having to tell a couple of my buddies who were semi-serious about wanting one that that wasn't going to happen without some significant outlay on the secondary market at this point because every drop had sold out instantly.

All in all, a great weekend.

The BRRT name was done in fun. It wasn’t intended for that.

Do you have something to back that claim? I’d genuinely really like to hear it. I asked Bill Howard what the inspiration for the tool was, but it was right when everyone was leaving Bootleg / Non-Dezvous 2020 and he told me to email and ask.

Oh, almost forgot. Everyone I showed it to wanted one, and more than a few of the guys aren't even knife folks. They just recognize a neat thing when they see it. For the record, I ran into exactly zero people who were like "GEC MADE THAT?! WHAT A LAUGHINGSTOCK! NO ONE WILL TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY EVER AGAIN!" The only downside was having to tell a couple of my buddies who were semi-serious about wanting one that that wasn't going to happen without some significant outlay on the secondary market at this point because every drop had sold out instantly.

All in all, a great weekend.

That’s cause people like fun things. Knife people take it all too seriously sometimes (like any hobby, myself included).

With regards to etches:

I am not entirely certain why there is an aversion to them - especially from a "user". On a high carbon blade, the etch will diminish and disappear in short order with regular use. Also, one can simply polish it off - super easy.

If one thinks that an etch is what adds significantly to the cost of a knife, particularly the M&G knives, I think they would be mistaken. The lads at M&G have averaged about one release a year and with each release, a fair amount of thought and effort goes into it. The most recent release, for example - do you think that the rat tail bolsters, the different cover options, and the attention to detail aren't worth the extra dollars that they command? These aren't your average GEC knives - these are premium cutting tools with a lot of care and thought put into their production.

If a blade etch makes a knife (a tool) a novelty, well... I'm not sure what to tell you. I know that should I decide to use a knife with an etch - it isn't going to be visible for long.

This one has been in my pocket since the day I got it almost a month ago - the etch is almost non existent. Don't let etches hold you back, especially if you are one of those mythical stalwarts known as the "users".

wyR3vf0.jpg

Hey, BF friends. Just wanted to share that I was able to make my first visit to GEC on Friday. It was a cool experience, including me and my friends getting to talk to Bill for a good half hour. I saw the finishing touches being put on the Ebony B&S, with many tubes filled and getting ready to go. Somebody walked by with a tray of jigged bone scales on liners and they looked fantastic.

Hey, BF friends. Just wanted to share that I was able to make my first visit to GEC on Friday. It was a cool experience, including me and my friends getting to talk to Bill for a good half hour. I saw the finishing touches being put on the Ebony B&S, with many tubes filled and getting ready to go. Somebody walked by with a tray of jigged bone scales on liners and they looked fantastic.
Why weren't you wearing your belt buckle camera?

I had a similar experience to Quiet Quiet this weekend. Used it to eat, open packages, and lots of bottles of beer. And EVERYONE wanted one! I even combed my damn beard with the Comb! I didn’t get one bad word about the knife. I don’t drink martinis so I won’t be able to tell ya if it’s a strainer, but I already know it’s definitely NOT a strainer.

I had a similar experience to Quiet Quiet this weekend. Used it to eat, open packages, and lots of bottles of beer. And EVERYONE wanted one! I even combed my damn beard with the Comb! I didn’t get one bad word about the knife. I don’t drink martinis so I won’t be able to tell ya if it’s a strainer, but I already know it’s definitely NOT a strainer.

You must not have heard that the comb is only for hipsters:D.

Back