5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Path finder is a rat tail tang and not a full tang. The only real full tang in this poll is the 104.

A rat tail tang doesn’t extend to the pommel. A file has a rat tail.

The 105 has a true full length tang just not full width.

Not everyone likes full width tangs.

A rat tail tang doesn’t extend to the pommel. A file has a rat tail.

The 105 has a true full length tang just not full width.

Not everyone likes full width tangs.
A full “length”tang is a good type and strong enough for most tasks. But with most of the knife people I have been around it still isn’t considered a “full tang” mainly because in some applications the tang was in contact during more harsh work. Some even had protruding nubs or ribs to help protect the handle material if it had any at all. That’s why I referred to the other being rat tail because it isn’t exposed and covered completely by handle materials. I may be wrong but I’ve heard them as long/full length or short rat tailed tangs.

It just semantics Les. We all know what we are talking about most of the time. It would be nice if we had standard tang names everyone knew. But we don’t.

An internet search shows plenty of people to support both views. So I guess neither of us is right or wrong. My apologies for calling you out the way I did.

To me a full tang refers to the length and will always mean it goes all the way to the pommel and is not just pushed into the handle. A rat tail is like on a file. Just a spike pressed into a handle.

Then a full (lenght) tang can be full width half width quarter width or stick.

Changed my vote to the 104. I don’t have one, but do have several each of the other choices. I don’t like the red coating on the 104, or the handle. But I do like the general size and shape of the knife and the true full tang. Would be nice to be able to customize one to our specs, no doubt I think it could turn into a really nice knife. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm up for any of the choices, but my preference is the 105.

It just semantics Les. We all know what we are talking about most of the time. It would be nice if we had standard tang names everyone knew. But we don’t.

An internet search shows plenty of people to support both views. So I guess neither of us is right or wrong. My apologies for calling you out the way I did.

To me a full tang refers to the length and will always mean it goes all the way to the pommel and is not just pushed into the handle. A rat tail is like on a file. Just a spike pressed into a handle.

Then a full (lenght) tang can be full width half width quarter width or stick.

By suggesting a 105 with a full tang, I was referring to the tang style used on the 124 Frontiersman. A pair of checkered pistol grip slabs would be sweet! Probably just dreaming...

I know what you mean, but I think it would be handle heavy. Find one with a brass pommel and play with it. You will see what I’m saying. The 124 has all that blade to offset.

Reactions: plb
All of these models have been offered as some type of custom before by someone,why not do a 212 buck custom fixed blade?say maybe any of the custom steels and maybe g10 handle with aluminum spacers,maybe a couple different colors.this would sell im sure

its been neck and neck the whole way 104 and 105. 119 has lost out and badly. guess I got to decide which to switch my vote to........new model or classic model........?

Back