AD-10 and AD-15 Shipping

Woke up this morning to find that apparently last night I sold a knife in the Exchange and bought an AD10. Damn drunk shopping!:p

Many are sanding under this area, definitely.

Yeah.It shows you though how many people don't look closely at stock photos unless you put lots of red arrows coming from all directions pointing out the diamond texturing under the pocket clip.The post purchase observation is a bit redundant when it's been in the consumer's face the whole time.

Last time I saw such a sign of consumers not paying attention it was the Old Timer knives.Heck they even had a care booklet for carbon steel and people still complained about 1095 rusting.The non-observant consumer gives me a headache.

By the ways guys.Love the large diamond texturing on the G-10...feels great on mine!

Yeah.It shows you though how many people don't look closely at stock photos unless you put lots of red arrows coming from all directions pointing out the diamond texturing under the pocket clip.The post purchase observation is a bit redundant when it's been in the consumer's face the whole time.

Last time I saw such a sign of consumers not paying attention it was the Old Timer knives.Heck they even had a care booklet for carbon steel and people still complained about 1095 rusting.The non-observant consumer gives me a headache.

By the ways guys.Love the large diamond texturing on the G-10...feels great on mine!

That's one way to look at it. Another way might be that CS should refine their product a bit. I think most consumers expect that a "quality" product will work well.
Yes some of us with more experience are more observant. I mod almost all of my CS knives and I expect the pocket clip to need work.

That's one way to look at it. Another way might be that CS should refine their product a bit. I think most consumers expect that a "quality" product will work well.
Yes some of us with more experience are more observant. I mod almost all of my CS knives and I expect the pocket clip to need work.

I agree but think the clip issue seems to be industry wide. I don't have a huge collection, but all the folders I've bought with textured scales (across different manufacturers) all needed sanding under the clip contact point. I used to be CPF flashaholic, and interestingly, most of those manufacturers have listened to the users and designed their clips so that they ride on smooth sections of body to avoid ripping up pockets... but then again, flashlight bodies tend to be all metal.

Maybe it's not so bad.... with the popularity of G10/Micarta/GRN/etc knife scales, perhaps having aggressively textured scales can allow the user to better fine tune it to their personal preferences. Much easier to sand rough scales smoother, than to make a smooth scales more aggressive. I got my SR1 to feel perfect-for-me in a few minutes. Then again, most casual users (probably 98% of the market) won't want to mod.

My pre-purchase observation was on the volcano style thumb studs.My thought was 'hmm..wonder how good the Scorpion Lock detent is and will it help resist those thumb studs create more self-deploying every I take it off my pocket".

I get what you're saying,I expected the skid-tape texturing on my newer Counter Point 1 to create more traction versus the old model. But this similar diamond texture has been used on some of Andrew Demko's original models and it's under the pocket clip too...no different.Now maybe in the future Cold Steel may offer these in a fabric texture and instead of a 'pocket shredder' they can get a 'pocket grinder' option just like Demko Knives.As you mentioned sand the area if it bothers you.But don't buy it and then complain like this similar texture isn't put Andrew's own models too and express a self-entitled perception as a consumer about it at $150.

You get far beyond what you pay for with the AD-15 and I'm thankful Cold Steel and Andrew Demko put it out.

I agree but think the clip issue seems to be industry wide.

To some extent but CS has been far and away the biggest offender in this regard. They do deserve credit for moving to a smoother G-10 on some models including the American Lawman, Espada, etc. But then they add texturing to a model like the Counter Point and don't have a smooth section under the clip as you will find on a Spyderco, for instance.
For me, Cold Steel represents a very compelling value especially in today's market where MAP pricing is becoming more common. So what I'm saying isn't a personal complaint so much as a suggestion for how to improve their popularity. Because as you said, the vast majority of the market does not want to mod their knife at all.

yeah....comparing people who dont understand 1095 will rust to knife collectors and users with likely dozens possibly hundreds of knives and decades of use..... who know cold steels pocket clip designs and setups are terrible and hoping for a better one on a new model.

ridiculous.....

yeah....comparing people who dont understand 1095 will rust to knife collectors and users with likely dozens possibly hundreds of knives and decades of use..... who know cold steels pocket clip designs and setups are terrible and hoping for a better one on a new model.

ridiculous.....

No what's ridiculous is dropping $150-$160 then complaining about a detail that's clearly shown in the stock photos and should be expected on such a pattern in G-10.I guess if you don't like the clip design then you probably wouldn't like Andrew Demko's being that it's identical and in the same spot.The Old Timer reference is for the people who never bothered to read the knife care instructions that came in both the box and blister pack.People who did this just were familiar with Old Timer...not why people liked the brand.

It's the perception of the typical knife consumer who doesn't pay attention to what they're buying.Complain about it before buying the knife if it affects your decision...not after.

No what's ridiculous is dropping $150-$160 then complaining about a detail that's clearly shown in the stock photos and should be expected on such a pattern in G-10.I guess if you don't like the clip design then you probably wouldn't like Andrew Demko's being that it's identical and in the same spot.The Old Timer reference is for the people who never bothered to read the knife care instructions that came in both the box and blister pack.People who did this just were familiar with Old Timer...not why people liked the brand.

It's the perception of the typical knife consumer who doesn't pay attention to what they're buying.Complain about it before buying the knife if it affects your decision...not after.
as usual you got it wrong again...

.... a smooth section under the clip as you will find on a Spyderco, for instance.

Interesting... I bought a Manix2 XL last fall and like everything else, needed to sand the usual spot under the clip.

Interesting... I bought a Manix2 XL last fall and like everything else, needed to sand the usual spot under the clip.

I was referring to Spyderco's FRN models in comparison to the CS Counterpoint.
Also Spyderco's coarsest G-10 isn't as rough as Cold Steels.

If somebody is too lazy to unscrew a pocket clip and sand under it, they probably don't really use knives anyway.
Or cant change a spark plug.

I got some of my friends more into knives. They're carpenters so they like tools. But they didn't have a T6 torx driver to tighten a pocket clip.
My point is that not everyone (or most people) who carries a knife is a knife person like on this forum.
IMO, when you buy a new knife you should be able to just stick it in your pocket. Not with Cold Steel.

or cold steel could just design it to work better without DIY work on it. guess that's asking too much. ad15 is a great knife all that aside. love mine and yes I can sand it. not lazy and still sometimes work with my hands in HVACr. spent decades in the field and on roof tops and in attics. so much for that theory by the newbie. btw welcome to the forums......

No offense guys, I do wish that CS would use clips with about the same tension (thinner steel) as a ZT.
Not sure how much the extra machining under the clip would cost, but it couldn't be much as
the G10 is already being machined anyway, so a small bit more under the clip shouldn't be much
and would improve their knives.
But I personally don't feel its any big deal to slightly mod a knife, I do it to most I have.
All my CS knives gets a
disassembly with an adjustment to the lock bar spring tension
de-burring for smooth action and lube
and pocket clip tension adjustment.
I also think that a novice will not buy a CS, its more for real knife guys, as these are more hard use knives.

No offense guys, I do wish that CS would use clips with about the same tension (thinner steel) as a ZT.
Not sure how much the extra machining under the clip would cost, but it couldn't be much as
the G10 is already being machined anyway, so a small bit more under the clip shouldn't be much
and would improve their knives.
But I personally don't feel its any big deal to slightly mod a knife, I do it to most I have.
All my CS knives gets a
disassembly with an adjustment to the lock bar spring tension
de-burring for smooth action and lube
and pocket clip tension adjustment.
I also think that a novice will not buy a CS, its more for real knife guys, as these are more hard use knives.

Speaking of hard use, hows this?

I was out of town for 2 weeks, for work. So my car was parked at the yard. During that time we had plenty of snow, a short thaw, then a refreeze. I got back to the yard to find my tires frozen in 3” deep of ice. All I had was an AD10, and the guard gate had some blue salt/de icer. So in 4 degree weather I stabbed my AD 10 all around my tires (carefully) and pried to break up the ice. Once I had a nice little void all around my tires, I packed them with salt, then poured some water on the salt. A half hour later, I was out.

I actually caught a bit of black top with the tip of the AD10. But it was no worse for the wear.

The AD10 blade length is listed as 3-1/2”, 3-5/8” and 4”, depending where you look. What is it really??

The G10 isn't vertically straight so it can very depending where you measure it from, but measuring (edge of G10) inline with the center of the pivot, to the tip is 3 5/8".

Back