Benchmade 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sal the owner of Spyderco is a steel junkie like some people on this forum. The Sprints and Mules are pretty limited targeting those like himself interested in steel not normaly found in production knives.I truly believe any of these runs have been optimized to bring you the best of that particular steel.Imho it's more of a fun thing than a big money maker.Take the sprint run of Superblue for example, if memory serves me correctly they were priced only slightly more than their VG10 brethren.
jz470bU.jpg

I don’t want to speak too much before we have hard numbers. I try to deal in as much tangible fact as possible. I will say that I’m not too worried about the Spyderco sprints. Part of that is the reason you mentioned (The series being based on taking a steel and making it shine. Kind of like the mules) and the fact that we have already gotten numbers on one or two sprints and they came back more than solid. I’m hoping for numbers next week. The knives just shipped today.

I've always wondered if Spyderco actually maximizes the heat treat on all of those steels they offer in sprint runs and mules etc. Or are they doing the same thing and offering them just for the novelty of the steel, with a less than optimal heat treat

There is an HRC database on the Spyderco Forums with over 40 knives that have been tested. Not a single one has a soft or nonoptimal heat treat.

Buck and Spyderco are just about the only two mainstream brands that I'll purchase without giving a second thought to if the heat treat is going to be good or not.

There is an HRC database on the Spyderco Forums with over 40 knives that have been tested. Not a single one has a soft or nonoptimal heat treat.

Buck and Spyderco are just about the only two mainstream brands that I'll purchase without giving a second thought to if the heat treat is going to be good or not.

Excellent info.

Same here, I use the annual Spyderco product guide as a reference source for various blade steels.

I just put up a whole slew of knives that I’m in for testing. 5 or so of the 7 are Spyderco sprints. I have also said what I’m sending next as well. This is going to be an ongoing project.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort on this project. I support it 100%.

Who wouldn't want to know what they were actually getting when they lay out their hard earned money on a knife?

Big knifemakers are corporations, and if there's one thing corporates do well, it's cutting corners. I'm very happy to know which of them are legit and which aren't. Then I can choose who gets my money. Seems simple enough and I genuinely don't see the reason for this animosity.

Have 3V in my Benchmade Puukko and love it. Great edge retention. I was surprised at the price of this knife at only $127. It's an extreme value IMO

I'm willing to bet they have one heat treat setup for 3v that was tailored to choppers and pryers in the fixed blade line. Someone said 3v is hot, so toss it in a folder and a more appropriate heat treat was never developed. This seems like more of a goof than a malicious act.

I'm willing to bet they have one heat treat setup for 3v that was tailored to choppers and pryers in the fixed blade line. Someone said 3v is hot, so toss it in a folder and a more appropriate heat treat was never developed. This seems like more of a goof than a malicious act.
Sounds like lazy and cost effective to me.

Reactions: Mo2
That is too low for chopper knives even. 58 hrc is where chopping knives in 3V should be. You are seeing what you want to see and not where the facts lead.

I don't want to see anything. It makes sense that this is process related. Are all of their 3v blades 55-58?

Have 3V in my Benchmade Puukko and love it. Great edge retention. I was surprised at the price of this knife at only $127. It's an extreme value IMO

Curiouser and curiouser...

rVdrjIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back