1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Benchmade 3v

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mo2, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

Dec 31, 2011
    They haven’t done Bugouts in the custom shop, why would we think they’re doing an even more niche knife in the custom shop? They haven’t even come out with a factory drop point yet. The tanto already cut out majority of the people that aren’t already turned off by “mall ninja” “tactical” knives.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  2. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

Dec 31, 2011
    I don’t want to speak too much before we have hard numbers. I try to deal in as much tangible fact as possible. I will say that I’m not too worried about the Spyderco sprints. Part of that is the reason you mentioned (The series being based on taking a steel and making it shine. Kind of like the mules) and the fact that we have already gotten numbers on one or two sprints and they came back more than solid. I’m hoping for numbers next week. The knives just shipped today.

Banter 247 likes this.
  3. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    There is an HRC database on the Spyderco Forums with over 40 knives that have been tested. Not a single one has a soft or nonoptimal heat treat.

Buck and Spyderco are just about the only two mainstream brands that I'll purchase without giving a second thought to if the heat treat is going to be good or not.

115Italian, AntDog, skyhorse and 3 others like this.
  4. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

Dec 31, 2011
    Excellent info.

5. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Same here, I use the annual Spyderco product guide as a reference source for various blade steels.

Alchemy1 likes this.
  6. AshKramer

AshKramer Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2019
    Thanks for putting in the time and effort on this project. I support it 100%.

Who wouldn't want to know what they were actually getting when they lay out their hard earned money on a knife?

Big knifemakers are corporations, and if there's one thing corporates do well, it's cutting corners. I'm very happy to know which of them are legit and which aren't. Then I can choose who gets my money. Seems simple enough and I genuinely don't see the reason for this animosity.

mdrgn79 and Alchemy1 like this.
  7. SharpKnives9

SharpKnives9 Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Have 3V in my Benchmade Puukko and love it. Great edge retention. I was surprised at the price of this knife at only $127. It's an extreme value IMO

8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    115Italian, marrenmiller and jux t like this.
  9. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

Dec 31, 2011
    It’s only getting worse.

Shooter4321, Yo Mama and Mo2 like this.
  10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The sky is falling!

:rolleyes:

demon emperor, ArchVV and Danke42 like this.
  11. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    How does benchmade follow up a huge blunder (cutting up guns)? By a bigger one (selling pot metal steel)!

12. 357snubnose

357snubnose Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    They will follow up the same way they always do...by ignoring the issue and hoping it will go away.

mdrgn79, Yo Mama and Mo2 like this.
  13. FiveToes

FiveToes Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    I'm willing to bet they have one heat treat setup for 3v that was tailored to choppers and pryers in the fixed blade line. Someone said 3v is hot, so toss it in a folder and a more appropriate heat treat was never developed. This seems like more of a goof than a malicious act.

marrenmiller, ScooterG and Mo2 like this.
  14. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    "I'm willing to bet they have one heat treat setup for 3v...."

That is too low for chopper knives even. 58 hrc is where chopping knives in 3V should be. You are seeing what you want to see and not where the facts lead.

Joe

15. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Sounds like lazy and cost effective to me.

Mo2 likes this.
  16. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Benchmade has always ran knives pretty low. Anybody here recall M2 at rc 57?

Alchemy1 and Mo2 like this.
  17. FiveToes

FiveToes Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    I don't want to see anything. It makes sense that this is process related. Are all of their 3v blades 55-58?

18. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Curiouser and curiouser...

[​IMG]

19. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I've been pretty sick, so I'll post more later.

This is @Banter 247 video.

More knives have been tested. All still low.

20. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Thank you, @Mo2

I hope people find some measure of value in the video.

Mo2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.