1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I got mine just now ... it's a rainy dreary day I'll need to get better pictures soon but here is one quick one to share. I'm very happy with both of these examples.

Thanks Mike & Viper for making these happen!

20201114_150331_resized.jpg

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    You're at 4% vanadium so diamonds are going to be the best choice especially on finer grits. Ceramics are softer than the vanadium carbides so you'll just be burnishing them and, over time, glazing your stones.

mitch4ging likes this.
  3. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I like both of these, hopefully at least one of mine will have the darker scales...will know tomorrow.

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    This is pretty much what I expected to see with rams horn. Looks great!

Mass1632 and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  5. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Horn neighbors! :D

6. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    X2

7. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    The one may show a bit darker in the picture because it's so dark here today. The other is dark and kind of has that mix like on r8shell's and Finedges examples on the other side. Both have good character and some texture to them.

8. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Oh boy I might of posted a little to quick !
    Winner Winner chicken dinner !
    Seriously I don’t think you can go wrong when getting the horn :D
    All kidding a side they all have their own personality and beautiful qualities :thumbsup:
    I’ll be happy with mine either way when it arrives. Worst case scenario it becomes a user and might even enjoy it more that way but most importantly its what it represents and that’s Mike’s hard work and all involved and being a Blade Forums 2020 knife to cap off all the wonderful memories with great friends sharing all their love for knives and all knives a like .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Haven't heard anything about the pulls yet...

KnifeandEasy likes this.
  10. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I still cannot believe the threat of dermastid beetles shut down a horn forum knife in 2018........

I guess 2020 is the year of living dangerously!

These all look great, and they look well constructed.

As usual, Mike at CK decided to torture me by refusing to move his business closer to where I live.

CelloDan and Will Power like this.
  11. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Two nice examples...very sharp! :thumbsup::cool: Which one do I want my brother to like? :p:D Thanks Mike!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dadpool, Xr6x, TFBraden and 43 others like this.
  12. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ah. I'll have to re-read that part.
    Oh. :( I've never been a fan of diamond, unless I'm re-profiling the angle and want to speed up removing steel. I guess I don't have fine enough diamond hones, but the edge is very 'toothy' if I don't use the ceramic.

13. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    He’s saving you money that way :)
    KSF use to be 1/2 mile from my house :eek:

waynorth likes this.
  14. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Wild and Crazy, Rachel!!:eek: I like it!!:D
    You can certainly recognize it in a crowd!!;) Congrats!!!

btb01, CelloDan, Will Power and 2 others like this.
  15. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I have a few Viper knives and Lionsteel in M390 ... it seems hard compared to other blades I have in M390. But I have used Shapton Glass and Spyderco ceramics to touch up the edges just fine.

I think for a more in depth sharpening I'd pull out the diamonds ... but just to crisp up the edge Sharpmarker ceramic should be fine.

Haegar and TheFactor like this.
  16. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice one, Mike!! Looks like it's from the same piece of horn as Rachel's!!

r8shell likes this.
  17. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I didn't even notice, so it must be about perfect for me :)
    I'm relatively new to the "pull scale" so I may be way off base. I'd call it a 6 maybe. Firm, but not a nail breaker at all. Its stiffer than my GEC 33 and about the same or maybe a smidge stiffer than my 15. I'll be interested to see what Mike rates it when he has them back in stock.

Time passes. Thoughts occur hmmm.gif

Mike rates the LoinSteel Bolus as a 6. I have one of these. Direct comparisons show that its slightly less stiff than the Viper so I'm revising my number to 7. Unless we use halves, then 6.5 ;)

18. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm not good at putting a number on the pulls so this may be of no help ... for me they are great. They are solid but these aren't nail breakers ... I can pinch the blade and open without the nail nic but have to grip tight.

JohnDF likes this.
  19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, it is wild, isn't it!
    Thanks for the input. I'm not used to "super-steel" harder than s30v, and I know I'll hesitate to use it if I can't maintain the edge with a few strokes on the SharpMaker.

waynorth and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  20. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    LODESTAR :cool::cool:

It's not Zebra, because Zebras don't come from Europe ;):D

But meles meles does, European Badger

[​IMG]

The Italians make great shaving-brushes too.....

Xr6x, TFBraden, AZCoyote and 10 others like this.