BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Thanks! I'd never heard of those.

So, the next question is: how hard is M390 to sharpen? Can I touch up the edge with my Spyderco fine ceramic stones?

You're at 4% vanadium so diamonds are going to be the best choice especially on finer grits. Ceramics are softer than the vanadium carbides so you'll just be burnishing them and, over time, glazing your stones.

I got mine just now ... it's a rainy dreary day I'll need to get better pictures soon but here is one quick one to share. I'm very happy with both of these examples.

Thanks Mike & Viper for making these happen!

View attachment 1455099
I like both of these, hopefully at least one of mine will have the darker scales...will know tomorrow.

2zLssCL.jpg

nvg3LZO.jpg

Horn neighbors! :D

I like both of these, hopefully at least one of mine will have the darker scales...will know tomorrow.

The one may show a bit darker in the picture because it's so dark here today. The other is dark and kind of has that mix like on r8shell's and Finedges examples on the other side. Both have good character and some texture to them.

I got mine just now ... it's a rainy dreary day I'll need to get better pictures soon but here is one quick one to share. I'm very happy with both of these examples.

Thanks Mike & Viper for making these happen!

View attachment 1455099
Oh boy I might of posted a little to quick !
Winner Winner chicken dinner !
Seriously I don’t think you can go wrong when getting the horn :D
All kidding a side they all have their own personality and beautiful qualities :thumbsup:
I’ll be happy with mine either way when it arrives. Worst case scenario it becomes a user and might even enjoy it more that way but most importantly its what it represents and that’s Mike’s hard work and all involved and being a Blade Forums 2020 knife to cap off all the wonderful memories with great friends sharing all their love for knives and all knives a like .

Last edited:
I still cannot believe the threat of dermastid beetles shut down a horn forum knife in 2018........

I guess 2020 is the year of living dangerously!

These all look great, and they look well constructed.

As usual, Mike at CK decided to torture me by refusing to move his business closer to where I live.

Wasn’t it Jacob who told Laban he’d take all the spotted and striped lambs for payment? Then he used the striped stick when the lambs came to get water?

I had a Roundhead and it took a while to sharpen it with my water stones. I think m390 has a very fine structure, which makes its retention great, but also makes sharpening harder without something really hard (diamonds or ceramic).
Ah. I'll have to re-read that part.
You're at 4% vanadium so diamonds are going to be the best choice especially on finer grits. Ceramics are softer than the vanadium carbides so you'll just be burnishing them and, over time, glazing your stones.
Oh. :( I've never been a fan of diamond, unless I'm re-profiling the angle and want to speed up removing steel. I guess I don't have fine enough diamond hones, but the edge is very 'toothy' if I don't use the ceramic.

I still cannot believe the threat of dermastid beetles shut down a horn forum knife in 2018........

I guess 2020 is the year of living dangerously!

These all look great, and they look well constructed.

As usual, Mike at CK decided to torture me by refusing to move his business closer to where I live.
He’s saving you money that way :)
KSF use to be 1/2 mile from my house :eek:

Mine is...strange.
2zLssCL.jpg

nvg3LZO.jpg

:D I wanted some interesting character, with a little texture, maybe some areas of both light and dark. It certainly is all that! I just wasn't expecting such clearly defined stripes and it surprised me when I first opened the box. I think I like it. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks to knifeswapper knifeswapper and everyone else who made the forum knife possible in this strange year.

Y4U14us.jpg

7C7Pyot.jpg
Wild and Crazy, Rachel!!:eek: I like it!!:D
You can certainly recognize it in a crowd!!;) Congrats!!!

Ah. I'll have to re-read that part.

Oh. :( I've never been a fan of diamond, unless I'm re-profiling the angle and want to speed up removing steel. I guess I don't have fine enough diamond hones, but the edge is very 'toothy' if I don't use the ceramic.

I have a few Viper knives and Lionsteel in M390 ... it seems hard compared to other blades I have in M390. But I have used Shapton Glass and Spyderco ceramics to touch up the edges just fine.

I think for a more in depth sharpening I'd pull out the diamonds ... but just to crisp up the edge Sharpmarker ceramic should be fine.

BFWq1Su.jpg

JaEz5E5.jpg

Well, I think mine is simply beautiful. Absolutely love the curve of the back spine. Feels wonderful in hand, great since this will be used. And the scales are gorgeous. Great job .
Nice one, Mike!! Looks like it's from the same piece of horn as Rachel's!!

Haven't heard anything about the pulls yet...
I didn't even notice, so it must be about perfect for me :)
I'm relatively new to the "pull scale" so I may be way off base. I'd call it a 6 maybe. Firm, but not a nail breaker at all. Its stiffer than my GEC 33 and about the same or maybe a smidge stiffer than my 15. I'll be interested to see what Mike rates it when he has them back in stock.

Time passes. Thoughts occur View attachment 1455129

Mike rates the LoinSteel Bolus as a 6. I have one of these. Direct comparisons show that its slightly less stiff than the Viper so I'm revising my number to 7. Unless we use halves, then 6.5 ;)

Haven't heard anything about the pulls yet...

I'm not good at putting a number on the pulls so this may be of no help ... for me they are great. They are solid but these aren't nail breakers ... I can pinch the blade and open without the nail nic but have to grip tight.

Wild and Crazy, Rachel!!:eek: I like it!!:D
You can certainly recognize it in a crowd!!;) Congrats!!!
Thanks, it is wild, isn't it!
I have a few Viper knives and Lionsteel in M390 ... it seems hard compared to other blades I have in M390. But I have used Shapton Glass and Spyderco ceramics to touch up the edges just fine.

I think for a more in depth sharpening I'd pull out the diamonds ... but just to crisp up the edge Sharpmarker ceramic should be fine.
Thanks for the input. I'm not used to "super-steel" harder than s30v, and I know I'll hesitate to use it if I can't maintain the edge with a few strokes on the SharpMaker.

Mine is...strange.
2zLssCL.jpg

nvg3LZO.jpg

:D I wanted some interesting character, with a little texture, maybe some areas of both light and dark. It certainly is all that! I just wasn't expecting such clearly defined stripes and it surprised me when I first opened the box. I think I like it. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks to knifeswapper knifeswapper and everyone else who made the forum knife possible in this strange year.

Y4U14us.jpg

7C7Pyot.jpg

LODESTAR :cool::cool:

It's not Zebra, because Zebras don't come from Europe ;):D

But meles meles does, European Badger

PG2xYoe.jpg

The Italians make great shaving-brushes too.....

Back