Knife or Death

First of, my apologies to Dr. Dan as I had said that he incurred 2 penalties in the Extinguisher whereas upon re-watch, he had only missed one flame and that was barely (the first one).

Anyway, this was the penalty which in my biased view should not have been called but then again, I can also clearly see as to how it was called. Karate Dan completely cut air on this one!

To set up this sequence, the objects zipline attached by a short rope to a carabiner which itself is attached to a chain or something as gravity takes hold. Now view the frame shots:

1-

fullsizeoutput_89c.jpeg

2-

fullsizeoutput_899.jpeg

3-

fullsizeoutput_89d.jpeg

4-

fullsizeoutput_89a.jpeg

As you can see from 2 & 3, although the bag is clearly cut, the SA also cut the rope attaching it to the carabiner! For me, it's still a chicken or egg question this one!

91bravo 91bravo So yeah, wow! o_O

I haven't seen any other episodes besides MTM's, but that sure looked like a pretty stacked deck! :eek: Yikes!

Sorry to see you didn't progress any further, but given the field, I can't really be disappointed. Running KOD against the Gorilla himself??? :eek:

Cool to see you and Dan K. Up there! :cool: :thumbsup: Now to seek out a way to watch Mecha...

I believe Dr. Dan said his SA was 22". It's hefty! 16"-18" is the sweet spot for a KoD blade!
It really depends on the blade profiles. The SA Katana is one hefty beast. You can see how much mass it has when Dan swings it.

That mass and blade profile is what gives it way more chopping power on hard targets, than any traditional katana, (and that mass is why, when I mentioned the Super Assassin back in Season 1, my preference was for the shorter SA Wakizashi vs the longer SA Katana).

With well made swords (not the cheap, permanently bending stuff some competitors have brought) with a more typical sword profile though, guys with 24" and even 30" bladed broadswords didn't have any issues wielding them.

In fact, the majority of the guys who did well with longswords were all pretty physically unimposing. The tip speed, mechanical and reach advantage provided by that blade length though, was significant.

Last edited:
91bravo 91bravo So yeah, wow! o_O

I haven't seen any other episodes besides MTM's, but that sure looked like a pretty stacked deck! :eek: Yikes!

Sorry to see you didn't progress any further, but given the field, I can't really be disappointed. Running KOD against the Gorilla himself??? :eek:

Cool to see you and Dan K. Up there! :cool: :thumbsup: Now to seek out a way to watch Mecha...
Yeah, in several other episodes, it would have been a top run, but that was one of the most stacked fields of any episode.

I wanted to say nice job Johnny, I dont know ya well but the Asian Redneck was entertaining. You all had a really good episode. My money was on big Dan the hole time that was one of the closes dead runs.
I'm glad they finally got it on air. The military guys filmed the day before me and the girl with the Shannon knife filmed the day after me. Crazy how they waited to long.

I wanted to say nice job Johnny, I dont know ya well but the Asian Redneck was entertaining. You all had a really good episode. My money was on big Dan the hole time that was one of the closes dead runs.
I'm glad they finally got it on air. The military guys filmed the day before me and the girl with the Shannon knife filmed the day after me. Crazy how they waited to long.

Your blade was one of my favorite ones I've seen on Knife or Death! When I saw it, I was thinking, that's the kind of blade I'd like to have, to use on this course!

Yeah, they filmed my wife 2 weeks after me, but my episode aired almost a year later.

Karate Dan caught a couple of those balls with a tiny little nick. Close enough to count but there was a lot of luck involved.

Karate Dan was very good but it easily could have gone either way.

Had it been 10 to 11 penalties rather than 11 to 10 it would have been a sizable win for Dr. Dan, but that's not the way the chips fell this time. 5 seconds? Damn...

Definitely a heap of chaos and luck on that course!

First of, my apologies to Dr. Dan as I had said that he incurred 2 penalties in the Extinguisher whereas upon re-watch, he had only missed one flame and that was barely (the first one).

Anyway, this was the penalty which in my biased view should not have been called but then again, I can also clearly see as to how it was called. Karate Dan completely cut air on this one!

To set up this sequence, the objects zipline attached by a short rope to a carabiner which itself is attached to a chain or something as gravity takes hold. Now view the frame shots:

1-

View attachment 1196619

2-

View attachment 1196625

3-

View attachment 1196626

4-

View attachment 1196629

As you can see from 2 & 3, although the bag is clearly cut, the SA also cut the rope attaching it to the carabiner! For me, it's still a chicken or egg question this one!

The bag has to be cut completely through and not cut the top of the bag off of the mechanism for it to count.

Dr. Dan was certainly treated like royalty, wasn't he? Addressed as Mr. Keffeler and Sir. The Dr. had an aura and clout about him from when he was intro'd.

His reputation precedes him, as they say.

edit: omfg I just now got the joke: Goldberg and Tu Lam both said they thought Dan was going to win, because both contestants were named Dan.

Last edited:
His reputation precedes him, as they say.

edit: omfg I just now got the joke: Goldberg and Tu Lam both said they thought Dan was going to win, because both contestants were named Dan.

^ oh my God.

Thank you for explaining it to me too...

LMAO! Really, thanks for the good laugh guys. :D My family now thinks I'm a little nuts... o_O

Back