New 2017 Benchmades....

I want that valet for some reason or the integral one but I'm 2 for 2 on benchmades having pretty bad blade centering. Not sure I want to try a third time. This 940 is just so nice, why can't they just make them right?

Here's the link to the 2017 catalog:

https://www.benchmade.com/media/forms/2017_Benchmade_Catalog.pdf

The 87 balisong and the 781 Axis integral are must haves for me.

Thanks for that link, man. I just went through the catalog twice to see the current offerings and am even more underwhelmed than I was looking at lists of disco'd knives and the new models. The 781 is interesting, but I can't see paying $425 for an unproven Benchmade when I can get a CRK for the same money.

I'm just so disappointed in what has been one of my favorite companies.

Here's the link to the 2017 catalog:

https://www.benchmade.com/media/forms/2017_Benchmade_Catalog.pdf

The 87 balisong and the 781 Axis integral are must haves for me.

Thanks for posting the '17 catalog. For me the only new model that holds interest is the larger Presidio II. I really like the design; and yet it's based on something I've already owned with updated scales, maybe other elements too that I can't see. As far as any flagship designs in the new set the 781 Is the most interesting, never mind the price. :rolleyes:

Seriously I was hoping for a more refined version of the Proxy, removal of that notch and offering it in black g-10 or CF with the same steel.

i was hoping the rant bowie was coming back in a longer 6+" bladed version........and the 42 was coming back.:)

I was hoping for a little WOW.........doesn't seem to be in that line up.
Still no love for a LE 943??
What's up with all the s30v???
Joe

I'm sure I'll be buying some Benchmades this year. They just won't be either from the new line-up or new at all. I'll just keep filling in the holes in the old-school Benchmade collection.

Well, recent history has made a lie of at least part of that statement. With close-out prices available at some dealers on the recently discontinued items, I've bought a new 710SBK, new satin 707 Sequel, and two new full-sized G10 combo-edged 908 Strykers, one satin for me and one BK for my wife who EDCs a satin mini-Stryker and wanted the bigger one for outdoor hard duty. The close-out prices are better than what I'd find on the Exchange and now I won't have to hunt for them or pay a premium down the road.

Boo! :grumpy: I'll join the underwhelmed bandwagon here. And sadly it's their 30th anniversary too. :thumbdn:

On the flip side, have 2 new 710's coming (D2 and m390) and an m390 Ritter that will get scale upgrades. That will likely be the extent of my BM purchases this year. :yawn: :rolleyes: Too bad.

ETA: One of these days we'll get a special 943. :( All I'd like to see is the 943 blade profile in a better steel (I can deal with getting better scales). m390 would be fantastic! Les, ARE YOU LISTENING??? ;)

Last edited:
Wow I can't remember the last year where I looked at ZT, Spyderco, and BM knives released at SHOT and didn't see a single one I even thought I might buy. Not a fan of zytel like plastic handles with inserts, and $500 for the 781.....with S30V steel.....no thanks. It can be the best handle and lockup ever made but it still has blade steel you can get on knives under $75.

781 is actually 20CV... ;) :thumbup: But it IS really expensive! :eek:

[video=youtube;XyUVDbnaUUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyUVDbnaUUo[/video]

The 781 is the one that catches my attention. Other than that...pretty boring. I have never been a great fan of s30v due to the micro chipping I've experienced and other than cost concerns, wonder why it's still commonly being used in this new year by at least Benchmade.

I stand corrected, I thought for sure I saw it list S30v on Benchmade's site, might have been another site with bad info. It's still expensive but at least it's not S30/S35.

The only reason S30V/S35VN are popular is because of the cost savings to the manufacturer. They are not bad steels, but these days if you are concerned about the function of the knife anything costing over $200-250 it better have better performing steel.

Don't see anything special with the 700$ gold class. Maybe it's good I guess comparing to the rest of these on display. But still can't 'see anything special besides maybe dlc coated titanium if I heard it right

Last edited:
Besides the Anthem nothing interesting just more of cheap plastic handles but at least they upped the steel from 154CM to S30V

But i agree it is def overprices. Soooooo many great options at that price range

The only reason S30V/S35VN are popular is because of the cost savings to the manufacturer. They are not bad steels, but these days if you are concerned about the function of the knife anything costing over $200-250 it better have better performing steel.

Agree 100% i see soooo many knifes at a high price point and not even using the premium materials.

S35VN was the best like a decade ago

Honestly, with the current CNC machines, there is really NO reason for an integral like the 781 to cost more money than say a similar knife made with two separate scales. In fact, looking closely at the photos of the 781 and the parts it takes to assemble, I'd bet that it takes LESS time to assemble than a similar multi-scaled knife. So with less labor, that's even less reason for the increased cost! :rolleyes:

Let's play this out; the 781 has for parts:

• the handle
  • the blade
  • the main pivot screw
  • the stop pin
  • Phosphor bronze washers
  • the Axis lock bar
  • the two end studs for the Axis lock bar
  • the two halves of the thumb stud
  • the Axis coil spring
  • the shaft for the coil spring
  • the anchor bar for the coil spring shaft plus the two screws that hold it to the handle
  • finally, the pocket clip and associated screws.
That's what, maybe 17 or 18 separate parts, TOTAL? If you count the screws???

Now, if this were a multi-scaled knife, the parts count easily increases by 8-10, plus likely longer assembly time fidgeting with the Omega springs, liners, and handle scales before getting the blade into place.

I don't know, but I've had plenty of shop / CAD / assembly experience in my 15 years working with wind tunnel models for the aeronautics and space industry, and the integral handle design not only looks simpler to me, but with less wasted material during machining, and easier to assemble. How does that equal more expensive???

Back