Off Topic Parallel Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, we had nearly 70-degree weather after it being only 5 degrees a week ago. Go figure. Anyway, the gorgeous day was cause to get out of the house and get on rope, so I headed over to Sydney's Bluff about 45 minutes away. Dropped a longer section of it twice and climbed the rope once. I took my range finder, and the bluff registered 42 yards (126 feet).

View attachment 833725 View attachment 833726 View attachment 833727 View attachment 833728 View attachment 833729

Gorgeous area!

Yeah, me and Alex Honnold are free solo buddies. I'm looking to beat his El Cap time. :D

Seriously, I'm a weak rock climber. I just don't put in the time. Out at Sydney's, there isn't too much climbing because the rock is pretty flaky. The only exception is a roughly 40' section that is flat and has been bolted.

View attachment 834294 View attachment 834295

I was wondering who Honnold has been hanging out with lately!

That wall looks solid. Nice looking line actually.

Almost 10 hrs gone by. It's so quiet here my ears are ringing!!!!! Well y'all know what I mean.

Slow motion.

Hey, we cranked to 5 pages in just a few days!

chili cookoff of work today -- I was a judge so I couldn't enter, but I made some for the fundraiser anyway.
the guy who brought a pot of "hot" chili whined that my "texas medium" was too hot and he had to cut it 60/40 with his so he could finish off the bowl. (60 his, 40 mine)
this is the same office that once told me my chili lost a lot of points in the scoring because it didn't have any beans.

I entered a chili cooking contest once by heating up a can of store bought chili. True story. I thought it was great fun! :D

Just got this one in. Should serve me well at the cabin. Especially when the lane needs some clearing done on it:

My wife has been making a white chicken chili that is awesome. Though purists would consider it soup, we're still taking it to this year's Super Bowl Party and Chili Cook-off.

My wife has been making a white chicken chili that is awesome. Though purists would consider it soup, we're still taking it to this year's Super Bowl Party and Chili Cook-off.
How about a recipe ;) I tasted some white chicken chili a long time ago at chili cook off, it also won :thumbsup: everyone was trying to get that recipe :(

Last edited:
My wife does a white chicken chili, as well.
For a while it was awesome. But during a weight watchers stint we must've had it every week (with ground turkey substituted for the chicken) for a year. Now every time I smell it cooking I want to run away.
But I can still enjoy it once every couple months. Especially when she gets the daughter to do a loaf of cornbread.
Ground chicken, cumin, milk, white beans, creamed corn, onion, Serrano peppers.
Only brought it to one cook-off. They wound up not judging anything, but most of it get eaten.
If yours is anything like that, or it sounds good, I can scrounge the recipe.

My wife does a white chicken chili, as well.
For a while it was awesome. But during a weight watchers stint we must've had it every week (with ground turkey substituted for the chicken) for a year. Now every time I smell it cooking I want to run away.
But I can still enjoy it once every couple months. Especially when she gets the daughter to do a loaf of cornbread.
Ground chicken, cumin, milk, white beans, creamed corn, onion, Serrano peppers.
Only brought it to one cook-off. They wound up not judging anything, but most of it get eaten.
If yours is anything like that, or it sounds good, I can scrounge the recipe.
If it's not any trouble tjswarbrick your recipe is sounding good.

We found an awesome recipe for chili verde in a soup book by Better Homes and Gardens and found they had the same recipe on their website. I've used it several times for events and church and work, and everyone loves it. Pork, tomatillos, onions, green chiles, spinach, etc. I usually use Boston butt instead of a pork shoulder (they are both from the shoulder, of course), but have also used an uncured ham from a wild pig. I also added hominy once in addition to the white beans, so it was a bit like posole. My wife often takes the leftover (if there is any), thickens it, and uses it as gravy on chicken enchiladas. Yum!
https://www.bhg.com/recipe/chili-verde-1/

Edit: Cumin is my absolute favorite spice. For herbs it a toss up between basil and cilantro...

Edit, Edit: You have to use a BK5 to cut up the pork.

T8VRb3k.jpg

ro1C5BL.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back